Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC 355 Cam selection
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 02:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
They are pretty close with only a few subtle differences-
a hair less duration (better for lower RPM power)
a hair wider LSA (better for your heads and application)
a hair tighter lash (quieter and usually more durable)

Overall there's probably not even a 15hp difference between the two.

EFI is also something to consider, it really makes a hell of a difference on power, economy, and durability. You can cobble together a system with a bunch of used parts for a few hundred bucks, even a basic TBI system would be a good starting point.
Ive been toying with the idea of EFI but from what i can tell its pretty damn expensive to do. I see the systems selling for $1200 on craigslist all the the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
You dont have to pick that exact cam,its just a guideline,what I would use.The dual plane will eventually come off and you will remember this thread.Your car is so light that the low end boost is really wasted on your car.Good luck with the car,hope to see a video of it soon.
There is a 240 in my area with a Toyota 6,probably makes 500 hp and sounds great.
Ya a lotta guys run the 2jzgte or the RB26dett straight motors and make a lot of power but since im on a rather tight budget but want a fast car. The SBC is were i find myself.