Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sbc 355 ported vs manifold vacuum for advance
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 04:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Have tried it both ways on my 358 sbc, 10:1, pumpgas. total mechanical is 34 deg. Direct vac woke mine up on the street, but I had to limit the amount of total advance the vacuum can added at part throttle, mine likes bout 10 deg extra . you don't wanna hear constant pinging at cruise. when the motor is being throttled (cruised) on the street the mixture is leaner takes longer to burn. when you hammer it WFO the vacuum drops out of the picture & your runnin on mechanical total again. Helped my throttle response & plug life. Set timing like normal no vac hooked up, then apply direct vac & it should advance quite high no problem no load idle down just abit if you must. with your lite still on the balancer wick thottle quickly the timing should retard for a spilt second,then advance. This will tell you it's working. Just limit the amount of advance the vac can provides if it pings at cruise. I know every time I use timed vac (above the throttle plates on carb) it was ping city. runnin just mechanical on the street fouls plugs pretty quick. By running full vac it's only "in" at part throttle or idle (high vac ) mash it plates open vac drops off & you're on mechanical again. Remember vac & mech advance are totally different & separate. Any way hope I haven't confused you. I know this setup has helped my street car a bunch. Oh yeah make sure the vac diaphram is not leaking! Just a thought, have a good one.

Last edited by frank sieber; 10-06-2012 at 05:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to frank sieber For This Useful Post:
stea (06-26-2013)