SBC 357 Crank suggestion - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 06:20 AM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zildjian4life218
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCA-910526/

So like this. What about the cross drilled mains?
Agree, Scat over Eagle...heck, stock over Eagle.
Your linked part will work just fine. I haven't used the one piece seal version yet but can't imagine it is any different in strength from two piece.

You don't want cross drilled mains. It is old tech that has been proven with todays oiling passage orientation in cranks to be more detrimental than it helps, tends to siphon oil away from the bearings due to centrifugal force at higher rpm.

I'll agree the hyper pistons will handle the nitrous load, but you have to do it as F-Bird has said, and you can never detonate it, or you will have a bunch of marble sized aluminum shrapnel in the oil pan. Never to low an octane, never elevated intake air temps, never too much timing, never too lean or too overly rich. Things have to be just right, like Goldilocks.

I agree, use a bigger solid cam if you want to be a man In a Howards, #112081-10 if you need to stay down near .500 lift. Don't forget lash gets subtracted from published lift specs.

Advertisement

Last edited by ericnova72; 09-22-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Listen and Learn

Last wiki edit: DIY junkyard electrical fan controller
Last journal entry: SBC 305 Twin Turbo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

on summits site it says that scat crank i posted has cross drilled mains. Most articles i read say to stay away from them. Does scat offer any other cranks like this without the cross drilled mains?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:15 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

At the RPM level you are talking about, plus w/the "corrected" clocking of the passages, I do not believe being X drilled matters.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
At the RPM level you are talking about, plus w/the "corrected" clocking of the passages, I do not believe being X drilled matters.
When does it start playing a roll? I understand that the force from the crank spinning prevents the oil from going to where it needs to.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:24 AM
WFO

Last photo:

I wouldn't begin worrying about it until the need was there for using a forged crank instead of a cast crank. I. e.- if you can otherwise use a cast crank for the engine, I wouldn't let the crank being cross drilled keep me from using it.

I base this on the number of cast steel X drilled Scat cranks that are currently in use, w/o issue. Before this discussion, I wasn't aware the Scat cast steel cranks even WERE X drilled. And I guess I'm not alone...
Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
I wouldn't begin worrying about it until the need was there for using a forged crank instead of a cast crank. I. e.- if you can otherwise use a cast crank for the engine, I wouldn't let the crank being cross drilled keep me from using it.

I base this on the number of cast steel X drilled Scat cranks that are currently in use, w/o issue.
Good point. Thanks for the insight.

So fbird thinks i can spray 200 at it. I would start worrying about the block at that point. I wouldn't do it till the end of the season when its time for a better motor anyways. Maybe i do worry too much though.
I think 100-125 will be plenty to play with for now. I guess I can just do it and see what happens. I'm not gonna have a ton of money into this motor anyways so if it hand grenades just gotta watch my feet cause the motor is moved back like 10" and dropped down a couple inches. Without the firewall there i can stretch my legs from the seat and touch the front motor mount lol.

Anyone got some hp/tq numbers with and without the spray? Im thinking like 425ish without spray and maybe 500 with spray.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:44 AM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
on summits site it says that scat crank i posted has cross drilled mains. Most articles i read say to stay away from them. Does scat offer any other cranks like this without the cross drilled mains?
It is a typo on Summits site. If you go directly to Scat's web site and look it up, none of the cast cranks are crossdrilled.

Summits web side has a lot of typos and bogus info, if you want to know about a part, go straight to the manufacturers web site and get the info, then just order it from Summit if that is where you want to do your business. Don't rely on them for good tech information.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
It is a typo on Summits site. If you go directly to Scat's web site and look it up, none of the cast cranks are crossdrilled.

Summits web side has a lot of typos and bogus info, if you want to know about a part, go straight to the manufacturers web site and get the info, then just order it from Summit if that is where you want to do your business. Don't rely on them for good tech information.
Got ya ive noticed that a couple times before. Like you said i should have went to scats site and got the info.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:59 AM
More for Less Racer

As a matter of fact, I just had to go and check, just to see if something had changed. None of Scat's cranks, cast or forged, have crossdrilled mains. They use straight shot oiling, which is basically same as stock, they may have refined sizes or angle of drilled passage slightly for different strokes, but it is still as Chevy engineers originally designed( as in "If it ain't broke, don't shade tree fix it" )
Old 09-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
"If it ain't broke, don't shade tree fix it"
lol. What would you rate one of these scat cast cranks to hp and rpm wise. I believe there site said 500hp and 5000rpm but I know there is a safety factor involved and i am sure will go further than that.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

200+hp shot:

Run the bigger 256-270 cam and a 5000 stall 8" converter.
The nitrous comes on at 5000rpm (nitrous rpm window switch+WOT switch)
Avoids overstressed parts from over torque.
Caused by hitting it hard from too low an rpm.
Don;t go nuts on cr. 10:1+ is good enough.
Let the nitrous make the power.

Its all about combustion presssure management.
Give it all the nitrous it needs to go fast.
Control the launch by controling when the nitrous comes on
4900 5000 5100 5200........
The rpm window switch does this as well as avoiding over rev on the top end.

Don;t bother with spark retard. Just lock out the advance and run 26 to 32 deg advance. The motor will tell you what it likes. (MPH)
Old 09-22-2010, 09:25 AM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
lol. What would you rate one of these scat cast cranks to hp and rpm wise. I believe there site said 500hp and 5000rpm but I know there is a safety factor involved and i am sure will go further than that.
I have seen it printed that Speedway Motors has 100's of them in 550-600 hp engines with none broken. Myself and friends have run several 3.48" stroke to 7800-8200 rpm and 540-550 hp with no failures, and several 3.75" stroke, both 350 and 400 main sizes to 550-600+ hp and 7500 rpm without failure for several years, so I can't really say what it takes to break one in a street/strip situation. Some with nitrous up to 200hp shots. Their rating seems to be quite conservative, or maybe based off the rigors of circle track continuous rpm duty(I've heard this mentioned on another forum).

I'm putting one in the 406 going into my Nova next spring, 610 gram Scat I-beam rods and 500 gram pistons, 110 gram pins, and looking for 700hp. We'll see how that holds up, I just couldn't justify putting an expensive steel crank in a stock 400 block, so I'm willing to roll the dice on my own stuff. If it blows, block gets trashed, if block blows, crank gets trashed. I'll go forged in an SHP block if that happens. It was a Swap, Ebay, and existing parts experiment anyway, I don't have $2800 in it intake to oil pan(all i have yet to get is rings, and the valve seats cut/guides honed on the heads), All good stuff, just waited for deals from people abandoning their own projects. Crank and rods are new, as are the bare Canfield 220 heads, just sat in someones closet for a year or two, solid roller is used, pistons were in the engine with stock 400 crank and stock 5.7 rods in my previous solid lifter Sportsman head build that ran 15 years running 11.50's in 3400lb car.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Listen and Learn

Last photo:

I have a 2 bolt block right now.......uhoh
Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Before this discussion, I wasn't aware the Scat cast steel cranks even WERE X drilled.
It seems there was a reason for not knowing, if they aren't!

I forget at the moment what it was, but there was some discussion of Summit's info being "tainted", shall we say, on this forum before. But the same info is all over the internet- not JUST Summit- so good advice to get the info from the maker.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.