Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC 358 Build for Economy
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Nope, 14CC D-Dish KB hypers which I still have on PM Rods. The stock Vortec pistons required metric rings that are 80 bucks a set, plus, the full concave piston design would give no Quench, the 2 very reasons I went with D-dish pistons. Small chamber heads with a tight quench and a D-dish makes for excellant combustion efficientcy, the very thing I was targeting. The trick to MPG is cruise RPM, if you can keep it around 1800 at cruise speed, with a RV style cam your in it`s torque band so the engine has enough torque to keep you going without lugging the engine. The TPI don`t flow much but works outstanding for low end torque. My plan was to use a 700R4, but after I had invested that much in it already, I couldn`t afford to get it rebuilt. I was shooting for the best MPG I could get with great low end torque by targeting less engine resistance and combustion efficientcy, it worked for a little while. Had it sealed up good and I later added a 700R4, I`m sure I could have knocked off over 20 MPG.