Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SBC 383 stroker opinions & cam Questions???

21K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  desmosis10 
#1 ·
Question?????....I'm getting built a SBC 383 stroker I trying to get between 550HP to 600HP or better to the flywheel, I want to kno if used a custom camshaft. For example a 565/585 lift @.050 duration 244/252 and wanted my RPM range between 2500-6800 or 3000-7000 RPM is it possible to get it with a cam like this with my SET UP below... I am just respectfully asking for some input if you would? Thks Des

I'm new to this, I have been always into muscle car & performance engines. Im getting built a 383 Stroker going with TRW forged pistons .30 over, Forged Scat I Beam rods , 4130 Eagle Crank,World Products Motown Intake Manifolds Part#061040 rpm range 2500-7500 , Airflow Research (AFR) 1103 - AFR 210cc SBC Eliminator Competition Heads. I swapped the solid roller 710lift springs for the 650lift hyd roller springs cause of a hyd roller cam I want to go with...
Compression between 10:5:1 to 10:8:1[/B

The HYD Roller cam I have with this set up now is a Lunati Voodoo cam.... How much Hp could I have with just keeping this cam
•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 282/290
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 231/239
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .535/.550
RPM Range 2500-6500
108 Lobe sep

See less See more
#3 ·
I called Aed Peformance Carburetors & Quick Fuel Carburetors..... They keep telling me to go with a 750 carb don't really kno why tho .. It's a STREET/STRIP engine build more on the street tho. I Just want a mean street Machine that have STREETABILITY & and if I can get good Gas mileage that would be a big PLUS too.

The headers I want to go with are Schoenfeld Headers
PART#187 ARE $319.95 1 7/8 Primary & PART# 186V ARE $259.95 goes from 1 3/4 to 1 7/8in Primary and seem to be a very very good deal. VS any other G-body specific long tube like Super Comp or Hedman Husler Hedders that's list for like 500+ dollars

#4 ·
The power figures you are asking for are very close to what my engine makes,this is the basic list of parts Im using,just for comparison,nothing else. I hope it helps:

10;75:1 434 cube,dart block/heads
heads are 227 cc and came cnc ported,then they were cleaned up a little,my camshaft is solid roller 256/264 duration with 108 degrees icl and 108 degrees of lobe separation,installed straight up

.420 lift X 1.5 and 1.6 shaft mounted rockers. victor junior intake with a modified 950 HP. headers are jere. 1 7/8 step headers. my engine makes peak power at 6470 rpm ( on the dyno) revs to 7k with out much power drop but torque goes down

#6 ·
Do u think I should just stay with the cam that i have already/ Cause i want AT THE LEAST CLOSE TO 550HP any thing over that would be a BIG PLUS..
The HYD Roller cam I have with this set up now is a Lunati Voodoo cam....

THIS IS THE HYD ROLLER CAM I HAVE FOR MY 383 STROKER

How much Hp could I have with just keeping this cam???????????
•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 282/290
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 231/239
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .535/.550
RPM Range 2500-6500
108 Lobe sep

#5 ·
nothing wrong with a 750 for your car or a hydraulic cam.You are asking for 1.5 horse power per cubic inch.I dont see that much. the smaller cam and carb will make it more fun to drive and I guarantee you wont have any gas mileage concerns when you drive it.I go for a drive for a couple hours,including a coffer stop and a couple spirited accelerations and I spend 40 to 50 bucks on fuel.
If you want a daily driver that goes great and is a little better on fuel,copy an LS-3 build as close as you can afford or use a carb and be happy with close to 500 hp?

#9 ·
split duration camshafts "usually" have more duration on the exhaust side.afr have a very good exhaust side for breathing sometimes as high as 80% of the intake side.Cam grinders quite often include 6 or more degrees duration on the exhaust side to make up for standard OEM heads and other heads that have less flow on the exhaust than what is desired.
Instead of looking to squeeze more power out of a 383 why not squeeze more cubic inches into your caR

#12 ·
I appreciate the info, but I already paid for everything to be done to my 383 stroker so I can't turn back now and go with a bigger cubic inch engine, And yes AFR are really good heads and your saying a durtaion of 244/252 is to much of a split, now correct me if i'm wrong but I thought more duration is better especially for some good heads like AFR to get more HP & TQ.

That's what some big performance guys that I talked to told me. They say its not always about the lift its more about the duration that get the HP & TQ.... (In Joe Sherman words)

#13 ·
Lets do some math,first scroll up and look at my parts list.In your opinion are your parts the same as mine?
lets say my engine makes 1.5 hp per cube,I have 50 more cubes so 75 more horse power
and lets give my engine an extra 20 hp for using a solid roller.
you need to take away close to 100 hp from my engine to get what your engine will produce.

It was not me that said your split duration cam is a problem.

#16 ·
Sounds like a good performance motor. Are you using 5.7" or 6" rods? You probably were on the right track to make 550 hp with the mechanical roller. Now with the hyd. roller you chose I would say it might make 500-530 hp with a 850 hp carburetor. You could do some mild porting to your heads and intake, that might help you to get the 550 hp. Not bad for being new!

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks I appreciate the info, and I using 5.7 rods scat I beam rods, but I have a question if i was to go with a bigger cam Lift & duration, Could I make more HP & TQ, I just wanted to do HYD Roller for my first engine build, and try to get close to 550hp or better....

For example>>>>>>

565/585 lift duration @.050 244/252

575/590 lift duration @.050 248/254

585/585 lift duration @.050 248/248

#18 ·
Your opinion please if u can....

For my SBC 383 stroker, using afr 210 competition heads compression between 10:5:1 to 10:8:1. Will a Quick fuel 850 cfm Carburetor, 4-Barrel, Booster type>>>Annular Boosters, and the secondary is Mechanical be to much for the street even tho it might give me more HP& TQ. Would it be over kill for my STREET/STRIP engine build like poor throttle responce & not good gas mileage.

#21 · (Edited)
The cam, and compression are a little low to meet the hp goal you are shooting for. I run a 383 (.040" =385) with a solid roller cam with 255/261° at .050 and .600/.620" with 1.6 rockers, 11.2:1 compression with DART pro 1 215 heads with a fair amount of work done to them, single plane intake, I have both an 850 and a 750 (that's had a bunch of work done to it) double pumpers that i use on it. I had the motor dyno tested before i put it back into the car and i got just over 560hp. As AP mentioned I have the 6.0" rods.

with that cam and the current compression I would say you are in the 500hp range (which aint to shabby)

Now about the comments about the split duration/ dual pattern cams: many cams you see will have a dual pattern on them, this is largely due to heads with poorer flowing exhaust ports. The AFR heads you have do have good exhuast ports so a dual pattern cam is not really of any benefit. At the same time I dont think it's going to hurt anything either.

About what Vinnie is saying, there is never any true replacement for cubic inch displacement, but at the same time you have to be willing to spend the extra 2000-3000 on the parts. Really no 434's are build on OEM cast blocks, and rarely do you find in the DART SHP block, normally they are done on the more expensive aftermarket blocks like the LittleM which is going to run you around 2200.00 then another 200.00 to get it delivered to you. Most rotating assy for the 434 will cost a few hundred more than a 383 rotating assy of the same caliber.

I certainly can't knock Vinnie cause I have wanted to build a 421 SBC for a long time now but I have a hard time spending that much money for block.

#27 ·
Thanks...

Here is an article on building a 383 550 hp motor. Notice all the little details done. 550 Horsepower 383 Small Block Chevy - JMac Performance
Thanks I really appreciate the good info u gave me, that really help me. At least I kno now it is possible to get to 550hp with an HYD roller cam :) .... WOW !! They made 558 Horsepower @ 6300 – 510 ftlb @ 5000 i'm willing to put the detail work in my engine build to get in that range.... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.