SBC 383 stroker opinions & cam Questions??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM
College kid into Muscle cars
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Age: 24
Posts: 34
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SBC 383 stroker opinions & cam Questions???

Question?????....I'm getting built a SBC 383 stroker I trying to get between 550HP to 600HP or better to the flywheel, I want to kno if used a custom camshaft. For example a 565/585 lift @.050 duration 244/252 and wanted my RPM range between 2500-6800 or 3000-7000 RPM is it possible to get it with a cam like this with my SET UP below... I am just respectfully asking for some input if you would? Thks Des



I'm new to this, I have been always into muscle car & performance engines. Im getting built a 383 Stroker going with TRW forged pistons .30 over, Forged Scat I Beam rods , 4130 Eagle Crank,World Products Motown Intake Manifolds Part#061040 rpm range 2500-7500 , Airflow Research (AFR) 1103 - AFR 210cc SBC Eliminator Competition Heads. I swapped the solid roller 710lift springs for the 650lift hyd roller springs cause of a hyd roller cam I want to go with...
[B]Compression between 10:5:1 to 10:8:1[/B

The HYD Roller cam I have with this set up now is a Lunati Voodoo cam.... How much Hp could I have with just keeping this cam
•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 282/290
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 231/239
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .535/.550
RPM Range 2500-6500
108 Lobe sep

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 7,441
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 292
Thanked 709 Times in 684 Posts
very good heads,the cam might be a little small to make the power you want or it will be on the lower side of your scale,,,
what size headers are you going to use and are you using an 850 holley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 PM
College kid into Muscle cars
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Age: 24
Posts: 34
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
very good heads,the cam might be a little small to make the power you want or it will be on the lower side of your scale,,,
what size headers are you going to use and are you using an 850 holley?
I called Aed Peformance Carburetors & Quick Fuel Carburetors..... They keep telling me to go with a 750 carb don't really kno why tho .. It's a STREET/STRIP engine build more on the street tho. I Just want a mean street Machine that have STREETABILITY & and if I can get good Gas mileage that would be a big PLUS too.

The headers I want to go with are Schoenfeld Headers
PART#187 ARE $319.95 1 7/8 Primary & PART# 186V ARE $259.95 goes from 1 3/4 to 1 7/8in Primary and seem to be a very very good deal. VS any other G-body specific long tube like Super Comp or Hedman Husler Hedders that's list for like 500+ dollars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2012, 10:54 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 7,441
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 292
Thanked 709 Times in 684 Posts
The power figures you are asking for are very close to what my engine makes,this is the basic list of parts Im using,just for comparison,nothing else. I hope it helps:

10;75:1 434 cube,dart block/heads
heads are 227 cc and came cnc ported,then they were cleaned up a little,my camshaft is solid roller 256/264 duration with 108 degrees icl and 108 degrees of lobe separation,installed straight up

.420 lift X 1.5 and 1.6 shaft mounted rockers. victor junior intake with a modified 950 HP. headers are jere. 1 7/8 step headers. my engine makes peak power at 6470 rpm ( on the dyno) revs to 7k with out much power drop but torque goes down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2012, 11:11 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 7,441
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 292
Thanked 709 Times in 684 Posts
nothing wrong with a 750 for your car or a hydraulic cam.You are asking for 1.5 horse power per cubic inch.I dont see that much. the smaller cam and carb will make it more fun to drive and I guarantee you wont have any gas mileage concerns when you drive it.I go for a drive for a couple hours,including a coffer stop and a couple spirited accelerations and I spend 40 to 50 bucks on fuel.
If you want a daily driver that goes great and is a little better on fuel,copy an LS-3 build as close as you can afford or use a carb and be happy with close to 500 hp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 PM
College kid into Muscle cars
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Age: 24
Posts: 34
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
The power figures you are asking for are very close to what my engine makes,this is the basic list of parts Im using,just for comparison,nothing else. I hope it helps:

10;75:1 434 cube,dart block/heads
heads are 227 cc and came cnc ported,then they were cleaned up a little,my camshaft is solid roller 256/264 duration with 108 degrees icl and 108 degrees of lobe separation,installed straight up

.420 lift X 1.5 and 1.6 shaft mounted rockers. victor junior intake with a modified 950 HP. headers are jere. 1 7/8 step headers. my engine makes peak power at 6470 rpm ( on the dyno) revs to 7k with out much power drop but torque goes down
Do u think I should just stay with the cam that i have already/ Cause i want AT THE LEAST CLOSE TO 550HP any thing over that would be a BIG PLUS..
The HYD Roller cam I have with this set up now is a Lunati Voodoo cam....

THIS IS THE HYD ROLLER CAM I HAVE FOR MY 383 STROKER

How much Hp could I have with just keeping this cam???????????
•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 282/290
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 231/239
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .535/.550
RPM Range 2500-6500
108 Lobe sep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2012, 05:27 AM
CNC BLOCKS NE's Avatar
CNC Blocks Northeast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NORTHEAST
Age: 54
Posts: 1,429
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmosis10 View Post
Do u think I should just stay with the cam that i have already/ Cause i want AT THE LEAST CLOSE TO 550HP any thing over that would be a BIG PLUS..
The HYD Roller cam I have with this set up now is a Lunati Voodoo cam....

THIS IS THE HYD ROLLER CAM I HAVE FOR MY 383 STROKER

How much Hp could I have with just keeping this cam???????????
•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 282/290
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 231/239
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .535/.550
RPM Range 2500-6500
108 Lobe sep
You don't need that big of split with those heads, using a hyd roller with only .535 lift I don't think you will meet your goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 AM
College kid into Muscle cars
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Age: 24
Posts: 34
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS NE View Post
You don't need that big of split with those heads, using a hyd roller with only .535 lift I don't think you will meet your goal.
What do u mean by big of a split, explain please. yeah the 535 lift probably is to small but i was think a about going with a custom hyd roller cam For example
565/585lift Duration @.050 244/252
rpm range 2500-6800 or 3000-7000

Could I get close to the HP i'm looking for with a custom HYD ROLLER cam like this????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2012, 10:44 AM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 7,441
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 292
Thanked 709 Times in 684 Posts
split duration camshafts "usually" have more duration on the exhaust side.afr have a very good exhaust side for breathing sometimes as high as 80% of the intake side.Cam grinders quite often include 6 or more degrees duration on the exhaust side to make up for standard OEM heads and other heads that have less flow on the exhaust than what is desired.
Instead of looking to squeeze more power out of a 383 why not squeeze more cubic inches into your caR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 AM
CNC BLOCKS NE's Avatar
CNC Blocks Northeast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NORTHEAST
Age: 54
Posts: 1,429
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmosis10 View Post
What do u mean by big of a split, explain please. yeah the 535 lift probably is to small but i was think a about going with a custom hyd roller cam For example
565/585lift Duration @.050 244/252
rpm range 2500-6800 or 3000-7000

Could I get close to the HP i'm looking for with a custom HYD ROLLER cam like this????
I don't think you will meet your goal with this cam a solid may get you close.

What are you using for a block and whats been done for machine work??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2012, 06:32 PM
College kid into Muscle cars
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Age: 24
Posts: 34
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS NE View Post
I don't think you will meet your goal with this cam a solid may get you close.

What are you using for a block and whats been done for machine work??
I'm using a 1974 4 bolt main block.... My block have been hot tanked, bore and hone, deck clean, and on its way to get a line bore for steel billet main caps that's all I no so far is there anything else to do to gain power????

I understand a solid roller cam will get me more hp and torque, But HYD Roller is that way i'm going. I alread paid for everything I can't really turn back now. Maybe I just need a bigger cam with good duration,What do u think??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM
College kid into Muscle cars
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Age: 24
Posts: 34
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
split duration camshafts "usually" have more duration on the exhaust side.afr have a very good exhaust side for breathing sometimes as high as 80% of the intake side.Cam grinders quite often include 6 or more degrees duration on the exhaust side to make up for standard OEM heads and other heads that have less flow on the exhaust than what is desired.
Instead of looking to squeeze more power out of a 383 why not squeeze more cubic inches into your caR

I appreciate the info, but I already paid for everything to be done to my 383 stroker so I can't turn back now and go with a bigger cubic inch engine, And yes AFR are really good heads and your saying a durtaion of 244/252 is to much of a split, now correct me if i'm wrong but I thought more duration is better especially for some good heads like AFR to get more HP & TQ.

That's what some big performance guys that I talked to told me. They say its not always about the lift its more about the duration that get the HP & TQ.... (In Joe Sherman words)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2012, 07:07 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 7,441
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 292
Thanked 709 Times in 684 Posts
Lets do some math,first scroll up and look at my parts list.In your opinion are your parts the same as mine?
lets say my engine makes 1.5 hp per cube,I have 50 more cubes so 75 more horse power
and lets give my engine an extra 20 hp for using a solid roller.
you need to take away close to 100 hp from my engine to get what your engine will produce.

It was not me that said your split duration cam is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2012, 08:01 PM
How fast is fast enough?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 29
Posts: 8,708
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 17
Thanked 286 Times in 266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmosis10 View Post
Question?????....I'm getting built a SBC 383 stroker I trying to get between 550HP to 600HP or better to the flywheel, I want to kno if used a custom camshaft. For example a 565/585 lift @.050 duration 244/252 and wanted my RPM range between 2500-6800 or 3000-7000 RPM is it possible to get it with a cam like this with my SET UP below... I am just respectfully asking for some input if you would? Thks Des



I'm new to this, I have been always into muscle car & performance engines. Im getting built a 383 Stroker going with TRW forged pistons .30 over, Forged Scat I Beam rods , 4130 Eagle Crank,World Products Motown Intake Manifolds Part#061040 rpm range 2500-7500 , Airflow Research (AFR) 1103 - AFR 210cc SBC Eliminator Competition Heads. I swapped the solid roller 710lift springs for the 650lift hyd roller springs cause of a hyd roller cam I want to go with...
[B]Compression between 10:5:1 to 10:8:1[/B

The HYD Roller cam I have with this set up now is a Lunati Voodoo cam.... How much Hp could I have with just keeping this cam
•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 282/290
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 231/239
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .535/.550
RPM Range 2500-6500
108 Lobe sep
can you change your pistons? maybe your rods? There's easy power right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2012, 09:05 PM
College kid into Muscle cars
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Age: 24
Posts: 34
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
can you change your pistons? maybe your rods? There's easy power right there.
ummmmmm maybe not sure what type of Rods & pistons would u recommend... why not keep the ones I have??? There pretty good i believe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
383 stroker opinions, need some info desmosis10 Engine 17 06-30-2012 05:45 PM
383 stroker opinions, need some info desmosis10 Engine 1 06-25-2012 02:42 PM
heads, and cam? for a super charged sbc 383 stroker B_Ray 81T/A Engine 1 12-28-2010 01:27 PM
SBC valve spring & cam timing 383 jsteve068 Engine 2 07-04-2006 03:40 PM
Opinions, best heads for a 383 Stroker dion Engine 3 01-20-2003 10:55 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.