SBC #3970010 is this a good block ? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #46 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2008, 03:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ocala, Fl
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
This is what I come up with.
19J293870
1-Chevrolet
9-Model Year, this number along with your date code and suffix code make it a 69
J-Janesville vehicle assembly plant. Janesville assembled full size Chevys in 69
293870-Last six digits of the VIN of the vehicle it was installed in

V0701HV
V-Flint engine assembly
07-July
01-1st day of month
HV-350 ci, 300 hp, 4bbl. 9.0:1 comp
Your 100% right in finding the same info as I but under that Suffix code it lists the 327 and 350. I will have to look at the crank as other post suggests. Thanks so much. Nice to know you came up with same info. Thank you for taking the time to verify that I did it correctly.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #47 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2008, 05:38 AM
1ownerT's Avatar
Home School Valedictorian
 
Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Iowa
Age: 53
Posts: 1,645
Wiki Edits: 4

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justspeed
Your 100% right in finding the same info as I but under that Suffix code it lists the 327 and 350. I will have to look at the crank as other post suggests. Thanks so much. Nice to know you came up with same info. Thank you for taking the time to verify that I did it correctly.
I had seen one reference that showed a HV code as a 327, but it was a 1965 engine. Your date code and the partial VIN stamped into the block date it as a 69, and the only 69 HV I found was a 350.
GM was known to reuse engine suffix codes, that is where the date codes come into play.
You are correct the crank will eliminate any doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #48 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2008, 01:26 PM
PutPut72's Avatar
Earplugs are in the glovebox
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 19
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should spend $18 and buy a Date Code book on Amazon.com, It will tell you the info you are looking for and also decode other engine, transmission, and differential information. That way you get the info straight from the horses mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #49 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ocala, Fl
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PutPut72
You should spend $18 and buy a Date Code book on Amazon.com, It will tell you the info you are looking for and also decode other engine, transmission, and differential information. That way you get the info straight from the horses mouth.
I got that book. The master interchange manual. It provides the same info I and others have found. Its a great book. Had one for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #50 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ocala, Fl
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
I had seen one reference that showed a HV code as a 327, but it was a 1965 engine. Your date code and the partial VIN stamped into the block date it as a 69, and the only 69 HV I found was a 350.
GM was known to reuse engine suffix codes, that is where the date codes come into play.
You are correct the crank will eliminate any doubt.
Your 100% right. I have no idea why I could'nt figure that out. Its right there in black and white. Thank you so much for makiing me understand. It is a 1969 350.

Problem solved. Now does anyone need a 1969 350? I dont want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #51 (permalink)  
Old 10-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Alabama
Posts: 34
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SBC #3970010 is this a good block

If it is actually a 69 model and it appears to be that then here is the GM info for that HV designation: HV 1969 350 255 4 turbohydro 350 This would then go along with your saying it has dish pistons and big chamber heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #52 (permalink)  
Old 10-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ocala, Fl
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoteam
If it is actually a 69 model and it appears to be that then here is the GM info for that HV designation: HV 1969 350 255 4 turbohydro 350 This would then go along with your saying it has dish pistons and big chamber heads.
True. I pulled this engine out of a 70 malibu I cant see where it has ever been rebuilt but it must have been becasue it has flat tops in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #53 (permalink)  
Old 10-06-2008, 04:09 AM
1ownerT's Avatar
Home School Valedictorian
 
Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Iowa
Age: 53
Posts: 1,645
Wiki Edits: 4

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A 69 Date stamped engine, not casting date, would not be installed in a 1970 car. The engines are stamped at final assembly, part of the stamping is the installed vehicles partial VIN, also in 1970 GM went to a three letter suffix code from the previous two letter.
One other thing, the Janesville final assembly built full size Chevys in 69, not Chevelles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #54 (permalink)  
Old 10-06-2008, 06:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ocala, Fl
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
A 69 Date stamped engine, not casting date, would not be installed in a 1970 car. The engines are stamped at final assembly, part of the stamping is the installed vehicles partial VIN, also in 1970 GM went to a three letter suffix code from the previous two letter.
One other thing, the Janesville final assembly built full size Chevys in 69, not Chevelles.
If it helps or matters I never suggested the engine was factory. The engine is dated 1969 and I pulled it out of a 1970. Nobody knows when or what happened. I never implied I pulled it out of a numbers matching car. My quess would be that at some point someone needed to replace the engine in the 70 and used the 69.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #55 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: texas
Posts: 2
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3970010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400smb_s10
both the motors could be a 302 327 or 350 2 or 4 bolt mains

this is for the 3970010 block

3970010....302.....69....4...Z-28 Camaro
3970010....327.....69....2...Trucks and industrial
3970010....350...69-80...2 or 4

and for the 3956618 block

3956618....302.....69....4...Z-28 Camaro
3956618....327...68-69...2
3956618....350.....69....2 or 4

the only difference is the 327 3970010 block was a truck industrial motor as you can see.

Hope this helps

Ed
i have a gm block # 3970010 with code V0329CKM and partial vin 17K525345.. i want to find out what engine type it is and what it came from thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #56 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2010, 06:52 PM
SSedan64's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Macon, GA.
Age: 50
Posts: 6,016
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L400turbo
i have a gm block # 3970010 with code V0329CKM and partial vin 17K525345.. i want to find out what engine type it is and what it came from thanks.
Type in CKM here >> http://www.chevymania.com/partsid/su...fm?block=Small to narrow the year down find the Block casting date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #57 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2010, 06:55 PM
ericnova72's Avatar
More for Less Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: S.W. Lower Michigan
Age: 47
Posts: 8,923
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 19
Thanked 368 Times in 338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L400turbo
i have a gm block # 3970010 with code V0329CKM and partial vin 17K525345.. i want to find out what engine type it is and what it came from thanks.
3970010 is a 4.000" bore block, could be 2 or 4 bolt main. You will have to remove oil pan to know for sure which it is.

"V"= Flint plant, "0329" is March 29th, "CKM" is 1976 350 cube "LM-1" 170hp 4 barrel w/Auto transmission, installed in either F, A, B, or X body car(F=Camaro, A=Chevelle/Malibu, B=Caprice/Impala, X=Nova).

Code info was from www.nastyZ28.com

The "7" in 17K524345 indicates 1977 car and goes along with the info from chevyMania. ChevyMania also shows it to be 170hp.

Last edited by ericnova72; 12-02-2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #58 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: texas
Posts: 2
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
3970010 is a 4.000" bore block, could be 2 or 4 bolt main. You will have to remove oil pan to know for sure which it is.

"V"= Flint plant, "0329" is March 29th, "CKM" is 1976 350 cube "LM-1" 170hp 4 barrel w/Auto transmission, installed in either F, A, B, or X body car(F=Camaro, A=Chevelle/Malibu, B=Caprice/Impala, X=Nova).

Code info was from www.nastyZ28.com

The "7" in 17K524345 indicates 1977 car and goes along with the info from chevyMania. ChevyMania also shows it to be 170hp.
Thanks alot for the info very helpful.. im actually selling this block..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #59 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Frierson la
Posts: 2
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with this 350 block

Ok guys I need some help I have a 350 block and I have been unsuccessful in tracking done the year it was made. On the front pad by the right head I have the stamped number 87789 and under that is the letter c but that's it no letters no vin or anything. So I am not sure how to decode it any help would be great. Also I read on this post abut the 4 dig code on the opposite side of the cast number 3970010 that you might be able to us it to tell the year the code is c175 It Has the 010 020 numbers next to the filter but followed by the number 158 and at the rear of the block next to a freeze plug it has h7 and under that 509 and last next to the casting number it has a large gm 18. With all this info can anyone tell me about this block. I feel I have did my home work on this but is there something I am missing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #60 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ohio
Age: 63
Posts: 20
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3970010 motor

This was the replacement block (should be a 350) when you blew up a mostly late 1968 and very few Jan. early 1969 Z28- 302 car. This was the dealer replacement block if your car was still under warranty. My friend has the complete motor. He blew his up and the dealer put this motor in it. He took it out complete and still has it wrapped in plastic. He put a big block in the Z28 and raced it and sold the car, the guy did not want to buy the small block when he sold it.The heads were correct(same that came with car) but had a chevy bow ty on the manifold. (1968)I could not understand that. I would like to buy it just to keep and sell later for profit if I was sure it has the correct crank and pink rods, thats what makes the 302 out of a 350 block. I hope that helps, the old original GM parts books have that number in them just like the guys already said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.