sbc 400 bogging - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2004, 09:38 PM
go like he11 machine

Wiki Edits: 0

sbc 400 bogging

ive got 73' sbc 400in my 76' el camino. it has edelbrock intake, comp 280h cam, worked over 882 heads, headers, th350c and 2.73 rear gear (soon to be 3.73 posi.) if im cruising at about 2000 rpm and floor it sometimes the trans will grab down to second, but mostly the motor just bogs and lays down. when it starts bogging the rpms barely climb and i just go no where. from a stand still i can hold first and stretch it out, but as soon as i catch 2nd it bogs back down and slowly starts building steam. ive replaced the fuel filter twice, but it doesnt seem to help much. the carb is a q-jet that has never given me any trouble. any ideas on my prob?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

Check your timing.

If you know how to curve distributors, I think more initial advance will cure most of your problem. There are a ton of threads about distributor curves and adjustment.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:29 AM

Last photo:

I addition to checking the timing you might want to check fuel pressure. What kind of fuel pump are you using. A stock pump wont cut it.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:49 AM

Yeah,I would look under your distributer cap first and make sure your advance weights are moving smooth and snapping back ok before anything,just give the rotor a twist,they get dried out,rusty,and sometimes break. Sure sounds like a timing issue,I say start there because its a fast,free check.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:40 AM
go like he11 machine

thanks guys. my fuel pump is stock but still seems to keep good pressure. when i took the fuel line loose from the carb it sprayed a good streem. ill try the rotor idea for now. thanks again

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that when it starts bogging i can hear a low ratteling weird sound. sorry i cant describe it better, but it reminds me of a car with an old rusty bad cattalytic converter or something. this noise started when the bogging started.

Last edited by camino_man; 10-10-2004 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:44 AM

You might have something broken in your advance weights also,might want to take the rotor off and look it over after you give it a twist test,check and see if the vac adv mechanism all looks ok too.

The more you say the more I think its the dist. You havent switched any vacuum hoses have you?

Since it started acting up
Old 10-10-2004, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

Your timing curve is off. Get an advance analyzing timing light and find out where your timing is at. That sound you are hearing is detonation. If you don't fix the problem with your timing, your engine could fly south for the winter.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:36 PM
go like he11 machine

i havent changed anything on it since this started. today my dad played with the idle for awhile because it wanted to keep running after i cut it off. i pulled the distributor cap off and twisted the rotor, im not to sure what to look for though. i heard a clicking from under the rotor but cant see the weights and springs of course. im sort of a virgin to the ignition system so to remove the rotor does it just pull straight out? its just a stock hei system, and would buying an advanced curve kit from msd or mallory help?
Old 10-10-2004, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

A curve kit will help later on. First, you should learn how to find out what your distributor curve is. A curve kit won't do any good without knowing how to use it.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:45 PM

Yep,you need to know why it ran great before,and doesnt anymore before throwing something else in the mix. What it should do when you twist it,is snap back,not slow,like,right now fast,if it isnt springing back,problem solved. To remove the rotor,remove the two screws on the rotor and lift up,right under it are the springs and weights. The rotor only goes on one way,so dont worry about that.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:01 PM
go like he11 machine

thanks guys, ill take the rotor off and look things over, but it did snap back when i twisted it. by the way, how do i find the curve of my distributor?
Old 10-10-2004, 06:48 PM

You will need to either do it off the car with a ditributer machine,or on the car with a light and some degree tape for your harmonic balancer,be sure you know the diameter before you buy the tape.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.