SBC 400 Build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 10:11 AM
454, what turns your crank?

Last journal entry: Replacing bearings and crank
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC 400 Build

Ok, I know there have been a lot of people posting about 400 builds and there are tons of combos out there and I have done a lot of research about different builds and what parts worked with what. But getting a second or third opinion for me helps more than just reading someone else do it. As some of you know I have done a lot work on my Firebird with a 454, but I going to go with a SBC in my 77' Formula. And I like the price of SBC than BBC parts.. Ok, so here is what I have got so far. I have done a lot of price checking and found the best price possible on good parts.

400 SBC standard bore 4 bolt main ($125)
SCAT rotating assembly (9000 crank, I beam forged rods, forged flat top pistons) ($750)
EngineQuest 235cc Iron Heads 2.08In 1.6Ex 64cc chamber ($507.95 Ebay)
Machined for screw in studs.
If the block is zero decked the static compression ratio will be 12.6. Too high??
Scorpion Roller rockers ($207)
Havnt bough cam yet but through Comps software they said the 292H cam was the best fit for what I wanted out of the engine, or the 286H cam would also work.
No intake yet but it will be matched to the cam, I am thinking its going to be a single plain high RPM intake.
Thinking a 750 CFM carb should be fine for this also... Maybe?\
The only thing that I have are the heads and block, next month will be purchasing the rotating assembly, carb, cam, rockers, and the tin. And then hopefully the month after that I will have it all together and in the car. Also will be running a TH350, stalll converter will match cam and 3.73 gears.

Thanks for all the help in advance.
Again sorry for adding to the huge list of already posted SBC 400 combos.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

Ok, thanks for the info about the dished pistons. I will be changing my list. I have read a lot about these heads and with the raised intake runners some say that some intakes wont work but they said the Victor line has enough meat on it that it will line up. Is this true or is it just hog wash?
May I ask the reason why you recommend those other cams? Not that I am going to argue against it, but just for my own knowledge of why those ones will work better apposed to the other ones. I did also look into going with a roller cam as to in the little knowledge that I do have this engine is going to want to be in the high RPM's to make power with the size of heads I have and the roller cam is better for higher RPM running. Right?
Old 01-13-2012, 03:07 AM

Last photo:

Looked up that mechanical roller cam kit, found one on Ebay for $845.99. Comes with springs, retainers, locks, lifters, and valve seals. I took a look at the specs and that cam is bigger than the one I have got in my BBC.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:08 AM

Last photo:

Ok, so it turns out that the guy I had bought my blocks from does some engine building on the side and also has all the equipment to properly do block and head machining. All the machine work for 2 blocks will be under $200. Also gets high performance parts for a really good price, so now I have more money to get better parts due to his cheaper cost. So these are the parts that I now have lined up for the bottom end KB forged dished pistons said about a +12cc (don't have PN yet to be sure), 5.7" 4340 forged H-Beam rods with ARP bolts, and a steel crank. Also found a really really good price on the Comp mechanical roller cam, found it for $741 for the complete kit (springs, retainers, valve seals, lifters, and timing set). And if this cam is actually going to be one that is going to work well I don't want this deal to slip away. Also I have heard that I needed the Victor Jr. intake due to my raised runners, now I went online to look them up (Summit) to get a price and they have Victor series intakes made for raised runner heads. Should I purchase one of those that are made for raised runners or with the regular Victor Jr work? I have heard the easiest way to match the intake up before you buy it is to first match the correct Fel-Pro Gasket to your head and find the intake that calls for that gasket.

Last question would be one that many many people have asked you guys a thousand times. Should I stick with the solid roller or go hydro roller? I dont mind having to check the lash a few times a year on the solid and I know the strong and weak points of each cam, money allows either one. Anyone have their $.02 to put in on this? I have a gut feeling that this is a no brainier question tho...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.