SBC 400 CID Intake, Carburetor, and distributor Selection - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC 400 CID Intake, Carburetor, and distributor Selection

I am in process of building a 400 CID SBC for installation in a Jeep Wrangler conversion. My interest is in good low end torque rather than high rpm power. I inherited the engine half way done so a lot of the base short block decisions are in the past. Based on the information I have the static CR is approx. 9.85 and I have an COMP XE-274H-10 cam using 1.5:1 ratio roller tip rockers.

I would appreciated any insight regarding intake manifold and carburetor selection. Based on my research so far I am loookig at the Edelbrock 2601 air gap intake (not the rpm version) and a Holley 4160 600 CFM carburetor.

I am really confused about distributors. There is a hugh price range of HEI distributors that appear to have similar performance characteristics but I know that is only part of the story. Pictures are always so nice but I suspect the real parts can be widely different and I would prefer to shorten the learning curve. Any recommendations for brand or source would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I would lean towards an RPM (non AG) w/a Holley 3310 or similar carb. Setting up the advance curve is key. More power can be lost there than almost anywhere else, and vice-versa. Well, a correct curve doesn't actually make any more peak power, but it allows power to be more available below peak.

There are HEI's available from $40 new on up. There's a current thread on the cheap ones: SBC Distributor Questions
Old 02-05-2013, 10:20 PM

I agree with cobalt. I would add an after market coil for the HEI. I would maybe modify the carb if you do extreme off road driving,mostly to lessen slosh from the float bowls,try it first.
holley carb around 750 cfm
performer intake
HEI with external coil.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The Holley Truck Avenger might be worth looking at. It has mods to it to make it work better over rough ground, although I have no experience w/them. The bigger carbs (670 and 770 cfm) have annular boosters, too.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WICruiser View Post
I am in process of building a 400 CID SBC for installation in a Jeep Wrangler conversion. My interest is in good low end torque rather than high rpm power. I inherited the engine half way done so a lot of the base short block decisions are in the past. Based on the information I have the static CR is approx. 9.85 and I have an COMP XE-274H-10 cam using 1.5:1 ratio roller tip rockers.

I would appreciated any insight regarding intake manifold and carburetor selection. Based on my research so far I am loookig at the Edelbrock 2601 air gap intake (not the rpm version) and a Holley 4160 600 CFM carburetor.

I am really confused about distributors. There is a hugh price range of HEI distributors that appear to have similar performance characteristics but I know that is only part of the story. Pictures are always so nice but I suspect the real parts can be widely different and I would prefer to shorten the learning curve. Any recommendations for brand or source would be appreciated.
Competition products makes a good HEI dist, and for the carb i would leave some room to grow and at least go with a Holley 670 Street Avenger...Distributors are a dime a dozen in my book so just look at some reviews on them and make ur decision so you don't buy junk...I currently run a 670SA and Hurricane single plane intake manifold and have good results...lots of options here! good luck man!
P.S. All the goodies I mentioned are on a 406 SBC in my Jeep YJ
Old 02-06-2013, 01:43 AM

Last photo:

SBC 400 CID Intake, Carburetor, and distributor Selection

When purchasing an HEI distributor I look for one that has an adjustable mechanical advance. This way when setting up the advance curve makes it much easier. Look at the MSD 8360 if you need to adjust the centrifugal advance the different springs are included to let the mechanical advance come in quicker or slower. Also supplied are the advance stop bushings from 18*to 28*. If you set your initial timing at 18* BTDC you could use an 18* advance stop bushing to allow a total timing of 36*. These distributors are ready to run all that is needed is an external coil. For an intake I prefer the Edelbrock Performer Rpm (non air gap). The air gap intake take a long time to warm up and also run cooler. They can cause problems with the fuel in the winter time. Do a search here on HotRodders.com on the Performer RPM Air Gap before you buy one. I would use a Holley 750 CFM FOUR BARREL STREET CARBURETOR PART #: 0-80508S on the Chevy 400 ci. I like this carburetor for the vacuum secondaries and electric choke. You could use another brand but I would recommend the vacuum secondaries and electric choke.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 PM

Thank you
That is the kind of information I was looking for.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.