Hot Rod Forum banner

Sbc 400 Oil Pan

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Joshua Lee 
#1 ·
i bought a alum oil pan from summit racing a few years back was gonna put a 350 in tbucket but left it go and just go fig now i put it together with a 400 small block problem is summit catalog says there would be a problem in a 400 or a 383 stroker so i called them they said it will fit but i will need to notch where crank weight hits pan :( ive put pan on and off 3 times turned eng over cant see where comes close any one have idea ? thanks i have another post where im having problem with the frame any help :)

#3 ·
The last time I pulled my 383 I thought I would change to a recently refurbished pan. When I got it back together I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't turn over by hand. I then noted that the old pan had some very slight indentations at places along the pan rail.

I would say that if you can turn it over without it hitting on the stand you're probably ok. Don't forget each engine has slight differences due to core shift.

#7 ·
In 1982 I went to all the trouble of cleaning up a stock small block oil pan, knocked out a dents it had, got it all cleaned and painted so I could bolt it to my '73 400 small block.

Got the pan on, fired the engine and instantly learned I now had a nice, loud squeal out of my 400. I could not figure out what the noise was or the cause of it? Then it hit me, it's the oil pan I just put on.

So I drained the oil, pulled the pan and sure enough the crank was hitting the pan in the front.

Maybe this is why summit says their pan isn't for a 400 small block?

While I cranked my 400 over I didn't hear a thing out of it? After it fired I sure did.
:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.