Hot Rod Forum banner

Sbc 400. stick with powerglide or go T-350.

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  mud.man.rj 
#1 ·
I'm having a hard time finding a torque converter with a decent amount of stall to put behind my 400. should I just go get this rebuilt th350 off this craigslist dude? I think torque converters 4 those would be a little more common for a highway cruiser.
are torque converters for the powerglide w/stall not used? woukd I be better going with the th350?

#4 ·
B/M part# 20413 is a Holeshot 3,000 stall convertor that fits 1965-1991 T400/T425/T375 and also fits 1968-1981 T350 and T375 for the years listed. Also is a torquemaster (larger size)13" convertor which is cheaper than the 10" first listed which is a 3,000 stall and part#20402. Won't spin up as fast as the smaller first convertor but a bit more finicky up and down because of the lighter weight.:D

#9 ·
I think I have found he powerglide converter I've been looking for. the man said he had used it on his chevette a few times @ the track and he believes the stall is 2500 - 2800. he said he will sell it 2 me for $75. so I think ima shoot tht route 4 now and save a few checks over the winter to come out in the spring with a 3spd maybe.

I like the powerglide for competitive purposes @ the track for gamblers races n stuff. tht 1 shift has had the car pretty consistent with the 307 and won me a few rnds. but its mostly just a street/highway cruiser 2 work daily.

one more? ?? tho. is 2500 stall enough for a 400? would it b more stall if in a heavier car? chevette<nova?

#10 ·
Sorry didn't read it right, you have a powerglide, Ok ya I only can find one Holeshot 2,400 stall for the powerglide fits 62-73, but for what your paying worth a shot used. I can understand the use of 1 shift applications for the powerglide, good for track but mostly for 1/8 or 1/4 mile. I sure don't like them for the street though, lame botom end and 1 shift and your done so lame top end. I usually swich to a 3 or 4sd, the 4sd is my favorite due to the lower 1st gear and the overdrive top gear, way better all around. A 400sb Gm will stall a bit higher just like a big block does due to cubic inchs. So if a converetor is used in a small block and stalls at 2,400 will stall about 2,600 with a big block. Good luck with the used, hope it works out for you.:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.