sbc 434 stroker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2004, 11:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sbc 434 stroker

Hello,

What is all involved in making a sbc 434 stroker?
And what would be the best rod length for a 434 Stroker just curious?

Thanks

And is it worth it or should I just build a 406?

Advertisement

Last edited by sb72elcamino350; 03-09-2004 at 11:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

What's the application?

They are powerful motor's but they can get expensive as well all of the machining that has to bere done. They are normal built with 400's.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

I chose to build a 404. It is a .030" 400. That way I might get another rebuild out of it in the future.

I used this kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33620

Notice how it has the 5.7 rods. With those, your piston pin stays below the ring lands.

Here is a 434 kit. It uses 6" rods:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2945247888

The pins are in the lands with 6" rods.

Here is another kit to consider, a 420 ci.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2943591758
Old 03-10-2004, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

What kind of power could you exspect out of a 434 compard to a 406?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2004, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

How much torque does a sbc 434 stroker make? And what has to be done to fit that large of a crankshaft?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2004, 10:36 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I am fairly sure that you have to use an aftermarket block to make a 434, something like a dart iron eagle or world products merlin. As far as the power difference, it somewhat depends on the parts. If you went with AFR heads, on pump gas you could expect 1.4 hp/cubic inch with a fairly streetable cam out of either a 406 or a 434. In that case, you would be looking at 568 in a 406 and 607 in a 434. These are just rough estimates, but it gives you something to go off of. The 434 would also make more torque, but alot of that depends on what cam is used. As far as rod length goes, I would get a hold of JE and ask them what the longest rod is that you can use without having to go to a custom piston in whatever block you use.

Good luck
Adam
Old 03-16-2004, 10:46 PM

Last photo:

what is the deck height of a sbc 400? I would like to find out if you need a aftermarket block or not, because if you do I do not want to do that? Does anyone know if you need a aftermarket block or not?

Thanks
Old 03-17-2004, 01:26 AM

You could use a 400 block. I would not advise it because you have to bore it to 4.155 with the 4.00 stroke. This leaves the cylinder wall to thin for that kind of cylinder pressure. You would have to grouted it and then have a cooling problem. Speed-o- Motive offers a street version that uses an after market block. They advertise 675 hp. The cam in this street version doesn't look very street-able to me but the large cu. inches will tone it down some. The Dart Iron Eagle block after being bored to 4.155 still has .250 of wall thickness.They also advise not using the 400 block. The deck height should be 9.025 to 9.030 if it has not been decked. The Dart block can be bought for around $1,800.00 and a good Eagle 4340 rotating assembly on E-bay for less than $1,600.00. Then to make 600 to 650 hp you are going to need a good set of heads with an intake runner in the 230+ cc range. ( Brodix 18 spx)The intake runner size will depend on what RPM range you intend to make the power . Smaller runners produces the power at lower RPM and then falls on its nose on the big end.
With this set-up in the right car you could run with most of the Big Boys with their BBC's. If you want to go fast and get there quick cu inches is the key.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:03 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

There is no problem in boring a 400 block .030 over to 4.155 Maybe 1 out of 10K may be bad from a core shift. I have built numerous 406 motors and never had one problem.
I have a 427 small block in my Vette and cruise all over the state and the Woodward cruise, if there was a cooling problem for sure I would have had one there.
This is a wives tale. Its all in how its built and whos doing it.
Any bore over .030 should have the water jackets grouted for strength and cracks and there is NO problem with cooling.
The grout is below the freeze plugs where there is barely no coolant anyways.
Try a site search on 400s on this site at the bottom of the main forum page as described in the Guidelines for posting.
This has been discussed a few dozen times already so you will find your other answers there.
Thats my .3 1/2 cents worth.
The end.
http://www.hotrodders.com/t25815.html

Last edited by 1BAD80; 03-17-2004 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Depending on the grout height, you can get into oil cooling problems so an oil cooler is a good idea. Normally when the oil is slung from the crank to the block walls, it gives up some heat to the water through the block. Granted there are other surfaces that do the same, the oil cooling capacity is somewhat reduced. This is normally only a problem on blocks that are tall filled to the water pump.

Chris
Old 03-17-2004, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

Just build a 406. A top notch engine builder can obtain 2HP per cube. So at that the power difference would be 56HP. And thats a $50K engine making that kind of power NA.

Chris
Old 03-17-2004, 10:19 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I agree about the 406. I have a customer who just built a 434, didn't grout the block, had me (creatively) reprofile his rods to clear his cam. About the same time, another customer of mine did a 408 (.040" over), didn't f with the rods. Both are running 6 "H-beam rods, large solid cams, external balance. Be interesting to see whos lasts longer. Meanwhile, a circle track customer of mine is building an internally balanced 406, a little less cam, 5.7" H-beam rods. My money would be on HIM>

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.