sbc 4x4 weekend rod build advise? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 11:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have a scat cast 9000 crank 200 bucks +shipping if ya want it. still new in the box. Anyway for mud even with 33's id turn 4.10 gears at least, im going to assume the 4 speed is a manual. not sure how fast that thing shifts but i know my SM465 is sloooow and shifting in the mud loses lots of momentum and wheel speed. i start out in 4hi in first (technically 2nd) or 4lo in 3rd rev and drop the clutch. Im a huge fan and will thus suggest AFR heads. pretty spendy but they're awesome. dart iron eagle platinums arent that bad either. not quite as expensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 01:08 AM
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton
Ok the motor is a 79 2 bolt out of a camaro. The truck will be use as just a weekend little hot rod to have fun in and maybe take out once in a while and take it to the tractor pulls.... also like I said I was merely asking ppl here what they new because a lot off ppl around here will fill ur head with bs. I've heard everything about using 400 parts in 350's and gettin double humps... that's why I asked so maybe some one would clairify... I may be just reading ur post wrong but I'm also goina have to ask you to save the attitude.. like I said I may have just read it wrong. But I'm just here to learn a few things maybe make my truck **** and git, and just chat with a few gear heads that share the same intrest's and enjoy workin on good ol american muscle, instead of sum punk wanting to make his ricer "fast"... so with all due respect id just like to learn and maybe help out when I can with out the drama and attitude.. thank you
I think you read it wrong cause I read the same post and got nothing but valuable info. Look at his post numbers and look yours, although it doesnt mean much, i have gotten lots of info from this guy. If you cant handle the answers given back to you as contrucutive learning then............................
Old 01-13-2011, 01:21 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I was going to lay out a parts plan until I read his reply. It seems to happen on here with me and people think I`m coming across as a complete a** but all I`m doing is shooting straight. I don`t BS, I`m not a actor, I don`t watch reality shows. I try to help by being honest and look what it gets me.
I`ve said in the past the fastest way to tick somebody off is to tell the truth, I don`t know why these days it seems like many americans, the last thing they want to hear is the truth. Too many live by "ignore it and it`ll go away" which don`t work in daily life experiences, what is ignored today will be back tomorrow and sooner or later it`ll have to be delt with. Anyways it says under his name
"Will p*ss you off before it`s over" Looks like the opposite is true in this case.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:35 AM
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp

Last photo:

Things were going so great too. I wanted to see where he was going with this but I guess ill find out when the same topic is brought up under a different name
Old 01-13-2011, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton
hello im new here on hotrodder... ive been building my obs chevy (350) for about a year just regular stuff that everyone has (small cam, intake, hooker headers, holly 650 carb, bored .40over) now im looking into more complicated things like heads and better pistons etc. i already have flat tops should i go ahead and get better ones? if so what kind. im shooting for 500hp.. i dont exspect to hit that anytime soon so bare with me.

also i found a double intake, its for $180. its a high rise and mounts two four barrels... my only concern is a guy that builds drag cars in my nieghbor hood said they are a pain to keep in tune with each other so i dont know. i found a good world intake for the same price.. which should i go with???

Hey man, you can't take everything personal on here. There's a lot of really smart people that just don't want to be second guessed, mainly because if you do you could lose thousands in crap, literally. Here's what I would do...

1.) Buy an engine stand and start a project while you're driving your truck.
2.) Do a little research and buy a 4 bolt main that's already bored out .030. AKA 383 block. Don't mess with the two bolt, not even a little bit. It won't hold up to the added hp as well as the 4 bolt will.
3.) Then get your 383 crank, 383 rods, and oversized pistons. Do this over a little bit of time and whola! you've built your 383 Stroker short block.
4.) Google this part # P/N 12558060. These are the un-altered vortec heads from GM. Don't buy junkyard vortecs. These come with the valvetrain already assembled.
5.) Now you need a cam. Don't exceed the lift on this one. P/N 14097395. If you want to pull with this truck and play in some mud. It's a good one.
6.) Now you need to get an intake specific for vortec heads, Edelbrock has a few that are reasonable, and they work well with that edelbrock 750 carb that was mentioned earlier.
7.) Get some valve covers that are pretty and say something cool like "383 STROKER" on them.
8.) Take your old engine out of your truck and take everything you need off of it to complete the engine you just built.
9.) Sell that two bolt hunk of crap to someone in desperate need of a boat anchor and feel better about the free space in your garage.
10.) Take the $40 you made off of your old engine and take your girl out for the two for $20 at chili's and tell her about your new engine that's pushing about 400hp and 425lbs./Ft. between 1500 and 4000 rpm's.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:50 PM
"young and dumb"

Last photo:

like i said i may have miss read ive spent alot of time on diesel forums.. they will bash and bash ans bash you for no reason... aand everyones has there bad days.. well yesterday was one of em... my appologies i guess i just kindda brought work home with me.... yet again im sorry
Old 01-13-2011, 02:52 PM
"young and dumb"

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383_Gladiator
I have a scat cast 9000 crank 200 bucks +shipping if ya want it. still new in the box. Anyway for mud even with 33's id turn 4.10 gears at least, im going to assume the 4 speed is a manual. not sure how fast that thing shifts but i know my SM465 is sloooow and shifting in the mud loses lots of momentum and wheel speed. i start out in 4hi in first (technically 2nd) or 4lo in 3rd rev and drop the clutch. Im a huge fan and will thus suggest AFR heads. pretty spendy but they're awesome. dart iron eagle platinums arent that bad either. not quite as expensive
im not familiar with that crank? pro's and cons?... and like i said earlier this truck will nevver see mud... may the drag strip and a pull or two... but no mud
Old 01-13-2011, 02:55 PM
"young and dumb"

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
I was going to lay out a parts plan until I read his reply. It seems to happen on here with me and people think I`m coming across as a complete a** but all I`m doing is shooting straight. I don`t BS, I`m not a actor, I don`t watch reality shows. I try to help by being honest and look what it gets me.
I`ve said in the past the fastest way to tick somebody off is to tell the truth, I don`t know why these days it seems like many americans, the last thing they want to hear is the truth. Too many live by "ignore it and it`ll go away" which don`t work in daily life experiences, what is ignored today will be back tomorrow and sooner or later it`ll have to be delt with. Anyways it says under his name
"Will p*ss you off before it`s over" Looks like the opposite is true in this case.
the reason i put that under my name is becuase ive been told all my life that i have a god givin gift to bring out the anger in ppl if im around em long enough... i try not to but i guess its just my nature....
Old 01-13-2011, 02:57 PM
"young and dumb"

Last photo:

ive been researching and i am very intrested in the 383 kit mahle has i may look into ordering it if my income tax comes soon
Old 01-13-2011, 03:15 PM
"young and dumb"

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj's83chevy4X4
Hey man, you can't take everything personal on here. There's a lot of really smart people that just don't want to be second guessed, mainly because if you do you could lose thousands in crap, literally. Here's what I would do...

1.) Buy an engine stand and start a project while you're driving your truck.
2.) Do a little research and buy a 4 bolt main that's already bored out .030. AKA 383 block. Don't mess with the two bolt, not even a little bit. It won't hold up to the added hp as well as the 4 bolt will.
3.) Then get your 383 crank, 383 rods, and oversized pistons. Do this over a little bit of time and whola! you've built your 383 Stroker short block.
4.) Google this part # P/N 12558060. These are the un-altered vortec heads from GM. Don't buy junkyard vortecs. These come with the valvetrain already assembled.
5.) Now you need a cam. Don't exceed the lift on this one. P/N 14097395. If you want to pull with this truck and play in some mud. It's a good one.
6.) Now you need to get an intake specific for vortec heads, Edelbrock has a few that are reasonable, and they work well with that edelbrock 750 carb that was mentioned earlier.
7.) Get some valve covers that are pretty and say something cool like "383 STROKER" on them.
8.) Take your old engine out of your truck and take everything you need off of it to complete the engine you just built.
9.) Sell that two bolt hunk of crap to someone in desperate need of a boat anchor and feel better about the free space in your garage.
10.) Take the $40 you made off of your old engine and take your girl out for the two for $20 at chili's and tell her about your new engine that's pushing about 400hp and 425lbs./Ft. between 1500 and 4000 rpm's.
ive read that in high horsepower applications 4 bolts arent as good... it said the 2 extra holes weaken the webing, and that to use studs in ur two bolt and it will hold just as well... it also said something about replacing the caps with sumthing else i cant rememer... thats what my research turned up..... has anyone else read this????
Old 01-13-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
Lets start over here. What is the use of the truck? Mud play thing plus street use? off road only? When we know what the plan of the use is of the truck we can help more and lay out a parts detail.
What gears does the truck have? What size tires? What transmission?
Your currently running a 350 and want more get up and go?
500 horsepower on streetable use isn`t going to happen, even with a 383.
I suggest first, you learn more about hot rodding, going by the questions you`ve asked for example 400 heads. 400 heads belong on a junk pile, just because they came on the largest small block don`t mean anything. all 400 heads were smog heads with large inefficient combustion chambers, they never came with any kind of performance heads.
Vortec heads are the hot ticket to power. Forget porting your heads or getting camel backs. I wouldn`t waste my time on dual quads, especially on a 4x4.
What year is the current 350 your running?
You could build a 1996 and up Vortec 350 that comes with a factory roller cam, stick a 383 stroker kit in it with some other aftermarket pieces and it`ll make over 400 horsepower while still having good street manners and torque.
i dont hear any attitude,its just alot of stuff (espescialy sarcasm, wich is my biggest problem ) gets lost and misunderstood on here

this is good info and a great place to start
Old 01-13-2011, 07:11 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

I would start looking at the junkyards. Maybe you can find a 1996 vortec 350 that is a roller cam setup. If you were to find something like this for lets say around five hundred you would be heading in the right direction. You would have a roller block, vortec heads/ intake, and all of your roller cam components. If the engine would be in running condition you could be looking at initial cost of buying the engine, a new crank, (rods unless you wanted to just stick with the stock rods and have arp bolts installed into them), and a new set of pistons and rings. For what you are trying to do with the engine I would trade a 4 bolt non roller block for a 2 bolt roller block any day of the week
Old 01-13-2011, 09:39 PM
"young and dumb"

Last photo:

I just want till build the block I have its a 79 2bolt, id like to one day start a roller set up... but right now I just plan to stick with the block I have.... also there has a been a recent change, I found a truck just like mine but long bed so this will be better for just strictly pulling.... so if I get the roller I may start a build thread for it to start building a motor for stricty pull only that will become my main investment as far as engine wise
Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 PM
"young and dumb"

Last photo:

As far as my short bed. How much improvement will I see if I polish/port my stock heads?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.