sbc 4x4 weekend rod build advise? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 PM
"young and dumb"

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sbc 4x4 weekend rod build advise?

hello im new here on hotrodder... ive been building my obs chevy (350) for about a year just regular stuff that everyone has (small cam, intake, hooker headers, holly 650 carb, bored .40over) now im looking into more complicated things like heads and better pistons etc. i already have flat tops should i go ahead and get better ones? if so what kind. im shooting for 500hp.. i dont exspect to hit that anytime soon so bare with me.

also i found a double intake, its for $180. its a high rise and mounts two four barrels... my only concern is a guy that builds drag cars in my nieghbor hood said they are a pain to keep in tune with each other so i dont know. i found a good world intake for the same price.. which should i go with???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Dual quads are hard to tune. The only way i'd use that setup was if it was a tunnel ram, but thats for high rev engines. 500 hp is a lot for a 350. Look into a 383 crank and rods, better heads, and a bigger cam. Of course, you will need different pistons for the 383. That should get you close to 500. Try to achieve a 9.5:1 compression ratio, you can go lower but i wouldn't go under 9. Also, don't go too high or you will need high octane fuel. The 650 carb may not be enough for the 383 so suggest a 750 edelbrock avs. They are made for off roading and are not effected by being at and angle when climbing a hill and what not, and they behave very well under normal driving as well as achieving decent gas mileage if tuned right.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:23 PM
"young and dumb"

Last photo:

i looked into buying a 400 crank to stroke it. but i hear that it wil give you alot of trouble if driving alot... i drive my truck alot its not a dd. i just threw 500 hp out there for starters id dought ill reach that but 400 would be pleasing
Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 PM
"young and dumb"

Last photo:

i thought about getting twisted wedge or double humps... i no a guythat will polish and port my stock heads for 100 bucks a piece should i just do that?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:29 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

your not going to run into any more problems driving with a 383 over a 350, if anything the engine would run better and last longer because the engine would be working less than the 350 would. If you are looking for good torque for off roading and have a few extra bucks to spend I would opt for the 383 crank with a new set of pistons and maybe a set of Vortec Heads and intake from a donor vehicle at the scrap yard. I think it is pointless to build a 350 over a 383 if a new rotating assembly is going in anyways. List the parts that you have for the engine or plan on using for the engine.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:37 PM
"young and dumb"

Last photo:

note* this truck will never be off roading its just 4x4... put i do hook to the ol' sled from time to time.... i blew it up racing a diesel... my tac said it was pullin 9k rpms when it spun the #7 main so i rebuild it not even 5,000 miles ago i should have waited and done all this while it was tore down..... will 400 heads work? ive been wondering if i get a 400 crank, forged rods, and a good set of pistons... then get a set of 400 heads and polish and port them would this be a decent improvement?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

A 383 crank will not cause any problems as long as you get 383 rods or grind the stock 5.7's. Always remember that the heads make and engine. You can get a pair of aluminum heads from summit for around $500-$600, which is a very good deal. You will never find 400 heads, it's impossible. And don't use a 400 crank, use a 383 crank. The 383 crank is built to fit in the 350 block with no problems.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:52 PM
"young and dumb"

Last photo:

ok if i get the 383 crank.. what rods and pistons are best as far as name so i know what to look for
Old 01-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

scat, eagle, or manley. You will find 383 cranks, rods, and pistons. They are made to work with 383s with no machine work necessary. Where are you looking? Jegs, summit?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:58 PM
"young and dumb"

Last photo:

i havent been looking yet but i guess now is the time to start.. if looke into manley pistons thats probly what ill go with... who is the best to order though as far as price and hassle?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:12 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

I am a big fan of Summit, I would do some shopping at Jegs but their site sucks *** compared to Summits. I would stay away from eagle, I would stick with scat. You could probably buy a complete engine assembly for around 1200 bucks or so. Check with your local machine shop for parts before you go buying anything. The first thing you should buy is a book something like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SAD-SA57/ I have this book myself and there is a lot of good info compiled into it. Try to choose a piston with a flat top or a dish piston with a D shaped cup to reduce hot spots and detonation. I can strive telling someone that is new to all of this to research, research, research. And after you do your research and are ready to order parts talk to people on this site before you purchase them. Everyone here has been through this and have a pile of parts in their garage that they wish they wouldn't have bought
Old 01-12-2011, 06:17 PM
"young and dumb"

Last photo:

thank you thats goina be a big help ive researched a little bit.. and thats why i put up a thread tp make sure and get advise before i spend cash
Old 01-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Lets start over here. What is the use of the truck? Mud play thing plus street use? off road only? When we know what the plan of the use is of the truck we can help more and lay out a parts detail.
What gears does the truck have? What size tires? What transmission?
Your currently running a 350 and want more get up and go?
500 horsepower on streetable use isn`t going to happen, even with a 383.
I suggest first, you learn more about hot rodding, going by the questions you`ve asked for example 400 heads. 400 heads belong on a junk pile, just because they came on the largest small block don`t mean anything. all 400 heads were smog heads with large inefficient combustion chambers, they never came with any kind of performance heads.
Vortec heads are the hot ticket to power. Forget porting your heads or getting camel backs. I wouldn`t waste my time on dual quads, especially on a 4x4.
What year is the current 350 your running?
You could build a 1996 and up Vortec 350 that comes with a factory roller cam, stick a 383 stroker kit in it with some other aftermarket pieces and it`ll make over 400 horsepower while still having good street manners and torque.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:49 PM
"young and dumb"

Last photo:

Ok the motor is a 79 2 bolt out of a camaro. The truck will be use as just a weekend little hot rod to have fun in and maybe take out once in a while and take it to the tractor pulls.... also like I said I was merely asking ppl here what they new because a lot off ppl around here will fill ur head with bs. I've heard everything about using 400 parts in 350's and gettin double humps... that's why I asked so maybe some one would clairify... I may be just reading ur post wrong but I'm also goina have to ask you to save the attitude.. like I said I may have just read it wrong. But I'm just here to learn a few things maybe make my truck **** and git, and just chat with a few gear heads that share the same intrest's and enjoy workin on good ol american muscle, instead of sum punk wanting to make his ricer "fast"... so with all due respect id just like to learn and maybe help out when I can with out the drama and attitude.. thank you
Old 01-12-2011, 11:53 PM
"young and dumb"

Last photo:

The gears are 373 I believe. 4 speed bulldog tranny... 33 inch tires. Light mods nothing extreme

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.