SBC '87 + Cast Iron Heads VS Older intake '55-'86 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 07:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC '87 + Cast Iron Heads VS Older intake '55-'86

Don't flame me, But I have searched anywhere here on this forum and google also, but can't seem to find the information i'm looking for

So here's the thing, we have a set of these "swirl" port heads on buddy's 350, came originally equipped I think, and we got a very good deal on Weiand Stelth intake for '55-86' SBC.
Before we run ahead and buy this intake, I would like to ask a few question's here first.

I have heard that you need to modify the 4 center bolt holes in the intake manifold because the bolt holes in the '87 + heads are at steeper angle.

Does any one have the correct information on how i can modify the intake manifold to get it to fit my head's properly.

No changing heads is not an option here.

Monzter.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 08:39 PM
More for Less Racer

Once you have the intake in hand it will be obvious what you need to do. It involves taking a die grinder to the two intake bolt areas of the intake, on both sides below where the carb sits. Bolt angle is 72 compared to 90 IIRC, you have to slot the hole and fab up some angled washers to go under the heads of the bolts. You can buy the washers also, from the intake companies.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

What are these particular washer's called ?
It would also be grate if you could find a picture of such washer of the internet and post in the thread. So I could get the picture.

Thanks.
Monzter..
Old 03-31-2010, 08:55 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzter
What are these particular washer's called ?
It would also be grate if you could find a picture of such washer of the internet and post in the thread. So I could get the picture.

Thanks.
Monzter..
Sorry, never made the swap myself as there isn't an 87+ head worth using, until you get to the real Vortec stuff, as far as I am concerned. I just know the basics of what needs to be done to adapt the intake. try taking a look at Edelbrock's or Wieand's web sites for parts particular to the 87+ heads bolt angle fit.

If you are looking for a performance gain you are wasting your time. If you just want to use an aluminum intake you will have to search for what you are looking for. Sorry I couldn't help you more.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:09 PM
More for Less Racer

I found mention of these bolt "bushings" at the Professional Products web site but couldn't find a picture. Weiand and Edelbrock both just referenced grinding the intake to fit, no mention of bolt bushings or angled washers. You may need to go to a speed shop that has master catalogs and just start looking.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I know that Speedway motors has manifolds listed that say they come with the 'adaptors' to fit them on the newer heads.. and the 'adaptors' should be available seperate..

they are the generic unlabeled manifolds they sell, which I think are Professional products or somthing like that
Old 03-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
changing heads is not an option here.
BULL HOCKEY. Whack your buddy up side the head with a good, stout piece of hickory and bring him to his senses. Even when polished, a turd remains a turd.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

LoL I see where you're going. but since the engine is only in a Caprice Classic Cruiser that's ok, the engine perform's just ok too around 4500. That's more than acceptable for this particular cruiser.
Thanks.

Monzter.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:08 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
I have heard that you need to modify the 4 center bolt holes in the intake manifold because the bolt holes in the '87 + heads are at steeper angle.

Does any one have the correct information on how i can modify the intake manifold to get it to fit my head's properly.
Enlongating the existing bolt holes of the intake will get you lined up w/the holes in the head.

The washers need to be 18 degrees on the 'bottom' to mate the flange to the "new" bolt angles.

Don't make the slots wider, just lengthen them only as much as needed to get the bolts in w/o binding. Be sure the gasket doesn't interfere w/the bolts. There shouldn't be any problem if you use a gasket that matches the later head.

Good luck.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

The Professional Products part number for the manifold adapter bushings is 52110. They are available from Summit as well as many of the performance parts suppliers. The ones available from Professional Products are made to be used with their manifolds that have a larger opening around the bolt to put their adapter bushings into. You can either machine out your manifold to use these as is, or just machine off the bottom part of the adapter bushings to use the wedge with your manifold as it comes (much easier).

This is how they come from Professional Products:

From the Professional Products webpage, this is how they look in a Professional Products manifold:

This is what you need:

This is how they will go on the manifold:

Here are some that were cut from aluminum on a band saw:

Monzter, this is the webpage where I found this info. http://www.persh.org/pickup/TBI%20Intake%20Manifold.htm It shows all the info you will need about using the aluminum manifold with the 87-95 heads. This page shows using them with a TBI intake, but everything will be the same.

I would recommend getting some bolts with smaller heads than those shown in the pics, those are going to be a real b**** to service. You'll need slightly longer bolts to allow for the extra thickness of the adapters.

Hope this helps,
Ed

Last edited by BigEd36; 04-02-2010 at 09:18 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.