SBC 882 heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2005, 06:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC 882 heads

Hey folks, just got me a set of these heads and was wondering what different opinions of them are. I had them cut out for 2.02/1.60 stainless valves. They also have screw in studs and guide plates. I thought they'd be a nice comliment to my engine:

Engine: Chevy 350 .060 over
Cam:.517/.517 adv. lift 243/243 duration @.050 w/.022 lash mechanical flat tappet.
Rockers: roller tip 1.52 rockers
Intake: Edelbrock RPM Air Gap
Carb: Holley 750 Vac. secondaries
Crank: 4340 forged Cat crank (if they ever send me the right one )
Rods: Scat I-beams w/ARP wavelocs
Pistons: Weisco Forged .275 dome
Exhaust: 1 5/8" shorty headers
Gear: 3.73 open small 10-bolt (factory S10 rearend)

Can't think of anything else on this, but if these Maddog Racing people don't send me the right crank, I'm just going to drive over to Eagle and get a cast one. Think it'll handle 6500 on occasion if the assembly is balanced? Back to the topic at hand, I'll be cleaning up the heads, i.e. removing the casting flash, which there is a lot of. This also leads me to think these heads haven't been used much except in a stock application. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. I'm guessing this motor should put out 350-400 hp N/A and around 525 on a 150 shot of the happy gas .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2005, 06:22 PM

882 are smog heads, thin castings prone to cracking.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The 882 head is not a bad design for factory stuff. If you've already had them cut for bigger valves, etc, then I would use them. You've already spent the money, so why not give them a shot. You can always upgrade later.

The biggest problem with the 882 head is that the casting quality and grain is rough. Generally there's alot of flash in the ports.

It pays to pocket port them and smooth up the ports a bit with a 60-80 grit cartridge roll.

You could certainly get 375 horsepower out of them. Your dome pistons with the larger chambers will net you a fairly effective compression ratio.

I've used the 882 head alot because they are plentiful and cheap. They are not as crack prone as most people claim them to be. They will flow some decent numbers.

Use 'em if you got 'em.

Brian
Old 08-14-2005, 06:42 PM
mini me

Last photo:

too late now since you put all that money into 'em

there all over the place at the boneyard cause there garbage

GM's 882 heads were designed as a light weight casting (a weight reduction) and there prone to cracking around the exhaust ports and in tha combustion chamber area

good luck, J

Last edited by jesse01; 08-14-2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the replies, I never knew there were different grains GM used. Guess that figures though, can't win 'em all.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:29 PM

What could be some prevention steps to avoid such cracks that are common to these heads? How would I know if I did encounter a crack around the exhaust seat?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Okay,

Now that some of these guys on here have spooked you into thinking your stuff is junk, I'll give you some good advice.

Since your heads have already been worked over, we'll assume they passed magnaflux inspection already.

Your next step is to put them on your engine and not worry about cracks. Any head will crack under the right conditions. Try to keep from overheating your engine. Make sure you get it full of water, have a good radiator and fan shroud and use a new thermostat. Avoid air pockets in the water jackets on start up. Remove a heater hose while you fill it up. Fill the block up before you put the thermostat in. That's basic stuff you would perform for any engine.

I have built dozens of engines with 882 heads, and I didn't have all of these horrific problems I'm reading about on here. Too many quotes from Hot Rod magazine IMOP.

That's kind of like going site seeing in the mountains and walking up to the edge, wringing your hands worrying about what will happen if you fall off the side.

Everybody is gonzo about Vortec heads, and they are far more crack prone than any other small block chevy head that I have seen to date, yet most people rave about them. Maybe the TBI head is a little worse.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Hmm, sure am happy to hear that my 882 heads are junk. Funny thing is when I took in a set of 993's and the 882's, one of the 993's was cracked big time. I had been running it that way for who knows how long. Never caused any problems that I was aware of.
Guess I'd better yank off my 882's and toss them in the trash can and go start over with something better.

Mark
Old 08-15-2005, 05:35 AM

Last photo:

The 882 isn't a light weight casting, when looking at a lw casting it is obvious to identify by the recessed areas near the spark plugs and lower mounting bolt areas which are cut in and around the headbolts. The 882 isn't crack prone compared to some of the other castings out there, the vortec is a lightweight compared the the 882. Bob
Old 08-15-2005, 09:12 AM

i have a chevy interchange manual that says if you have a set of 882's to get rid of them and thats extreme to put in print.if you are careful with your cooling system,that is if you have a good one and are careful you can get by.you had to be doing something wrong to crack the 993's cause they are extra thick and a desireable head to have.i would rather do to them what you did to yours.in fact i did.the one nice thing about the 882's is that chevy high perf. had the westech performance group and afr heads do a flow test for an article some time ago and you can check them out at their sites but the 882's did fairly well as i remember.i remember being surprised.just be care with the cooling system and you shouldn't have trouble making 400 h.p. if you work at it.good luck.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:07 AM

Thanks for all the help folks, I guess I'll be okay just cleaning up all this messy casting flash, bolting them on and running with it. I think I'm more thankful that there are more folks saying they use them though . About the flow numbers, the ones that come with my desktop dyno program put them at about 200cfm from .400-.600 lift. If those are close to right, I might get about 5-10 from cleaning 'em up and it SHOULD get me where I want to be power wise. The motor also is supposed to peak out torque at 3000 around 425 ft-lbs.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You might get close to 200 on the 882 heads, but you will need to do some work on them or spend the bucks for a much better head. Do some reading and ask around. There are so many options out there now its sometimes hard to find the "facts".

here is a good side by side comparison on heads.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:19 PM
ASE Certified Master Machinist

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: More Pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

The main difference between the 882 and 993 heads in regards to cracking is the 882 feeds the exhaust crossover from both center exhaust valves as opposed to the 993 which feeds the crossover from just one. That additional heat concentrated in the center of the head is the main reason for the cracking problem. I have defiantly seen more 882's cracked than 993's. I would only use the 882 heads at the customers request, or if I didn't have or couldn't find, any 993 or 997 castings. The 993's are also easier to repair if the are found cracked than the 882's. This is what I have observed in my shop over the years.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:54 PM
mini me

Last photo:

Quote:
Now that some of these guys on here have spooked you into thinking your stuff is junk, I'll give you some good advice.
ok i know this was probalby ment towards my area, but when i say there garbage thats just my own oponion. sure theres people out there who use them and don't have a problem and there are people who do

i'm sorry if i "spooked" you, what i said before about them being garbage is just my oponion

hey radracer does your heads have cutouts around the lower row of head bolts?

good luck, J
Old 08-15-2005, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse01
ok i know this was probalby ment towards my area, but when i say there garbage thats just my own oponion. sure theres people out there who use them and don't have a problem and there are people who do

i'm sorry if i "spooked" you, what i said before about them being garbage is just my oponion

hey radracer does your heads have cutouts around the lower row of head bolts?

good luck, J
Yes, they have little semicircles in the 1,2,7 and 8 cylinder areas. What's that mean?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.