SBC 882 ported and polished... Good buy or not?? Need your oppinions on the porting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 10:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC 882 ported and polished... Good buy or not?? Need your oppinions on the porting

Hey guys I ran across these on ebay, the guy said he'll $220 for them. he said he had a machinist do the porting, and that they did everything except the chambers. He says they have .525 lift springs on them and that he was using them with a eddy performer rpm cam and had no clearance issues. Can't remember every exact detail about what was done to them, doesn't remember the size of the valves but they look like 194/150's to me Which doesn't make much since to me. If you did all that work why not go to 202's n 160's

I need some one who's more expierienced at porting then me to give thier oppinion of the job.
He said they were milled .010 for straightness. What is the max you can safely shave off these? I am wanting to put them on my 355, as it already has 882's on it that haven't been touched. I'd like to try to get these as close as I can (if possible) to a 70cc chamber, which would put my CR right at 10.5:1 with the KB119 pistons that are in it. The motor has the lunati bracket master II 300/300 cam. The motor is making pretty good power as it is.
How much of a HP increase will these heads get me with the P-N-P-ing and higher cylinder pressure??? It's going to cost me 300 total to get them shipped to me... Is it worth it? Please help asap.... Her is a link to the heads

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 PM

Last photo:

They're sold....
Old 02-17-2009, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

You really did not miss much if you were not the one who bought them. 882 heads are "OK" but nothing special, even with porting. They are a run of the mill cast production head. Not a huge loss.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:49 PM

Last photo:

I agree,
Pics of the exhaust ports looked hogged out & off anyway.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:51 AM

The 882 is bad to crack anyway.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:32 PM

Pass, on them, pass on them, pass on them. As someone mentoined nothing special about 882's. How much are you willing to pay for heads. Also, If I myself did not pay for and know tha shop that did port work on any head, I would not fool with them. Porting is something that needs to be done by professionals if you ask me. Anyone can take a grinder to metal and call it porting.

IMO if you have to have a ported head, send them to someone you can talk to yourself and have the work done yourself. You really get what you pay for. I would not buy anyones ported head unless it came from a reputable shop that would stand behind their work.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Leave it to Evilbay to claim many a victim. Like the time I seen some "DZ 302 camel back heads!" They had 1.94 1.50 valves, needed a complete rebuild and suckers were bidding on them like crazy. Chevy did not make a "DZ" head, heads came with casting numbers not suffix codes. And Z28`s during that era only came with 2.02 1.60 valves. Or the suckers bidding on "Vortec" heads that were old 70`s 126 castings, as well as the later swirl vane heads that came on Chevy trucks and were given the name "Vortec" from the factory in the mid 80`s. Vortec means the same as tornado. The swirl vane heads are total junk and no where near the same league as Vortec heads of 1996 and on. But I don`t blame Evilbay, I blame the buyer who`s willing to shuck out high dollars on junk heads when they could have bought a aftermarket set of heads for the same price and gotten 30 more horses.
If you don`t do your home work your asking to get took. 882 heads are very common as they were made for many years. They have large and uneffiecient combustion chambers and not worth sinking any cash into. Furthermore, I agree with carlos, you get what you pay for. Only a flow bench or a drag strip will prove if porting efforts paid off.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:25 PM

I was going to mention that about ebay, but thought I'd spare the time. I would not buy ANYTHING off ebay no matter how bad I wanted it.

Anyway, regarding the 882 heads, I just saw you mentioned they were sold. Consider yourself lucky. Rebuild shops are using these if you do not have heads. I told the guy he could take the $120 off the invoice because I would not be using them. I know someone that has them on a 400 block and the car runs ok, but I wouldn't have them. Well... maybe for my kids car.. who's crazy about hot rods. I'd break him in with some 882's. I do know a lot of people that use them.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:18 PM

Last photo:

ebay

Take it easy guys... Not everyone on ebay is a scammer!!! Only a handful of dirtbags!!!

I say this because I do A LOT of buying and selling on ebay. I sell a lot of ford 9" parts (housings, thirdmembers, axles, bakcing plates, etc) as well as heads... I've sold severl sets of REAL 062/906 vortecs and ford GT40P heads. I personally test any/every item I sell OR have them remand then sell them. My problem is I can't use and vortecs or closed chamber heads on my 355 because of the KB119 dome pistons that are in it.... Not with pump gas anyway... I REFUSE TO SELL ANY ITEM THAT I WOULDN'T TRUST IN MY OWN VEHICLES!!! I have a few Items that are about to come to a close and I will no longer be selling on ebay, because thier customer service dept is a joke. They will let those "scammers" get away with whatever they want.

I just sold a great used ford 9" third member on there To a 03cruiser931. I had it sitting on his doorstep within 72 hrs of making the pmnt. Low and behold He contacted me saying that he was Highly dis-appointed with the rusty POS I sent him, and that He wouldn't send it back, but instead wanted me to refund him $100 asap so he could get it rebuilt and buy a brand new ring and pinion.
The unit I sold him came out of MY OWN BRONCO that I drove daily!!!! It had NO RUST and was a very very good unit. I just had it built last year before the county fair for the mud drags!!!! I decided I would play his game and said "ok I'll gladly send you the funds with out hesitation If you can just send me a photo of the rust you speak of" because I knew there was no rust on it and that he wouldn't be able to produce those pics!!! As I expected he never sent me any photo's or even responded letting me know why he couldn't send them.... Instead He just left A negetive feedback on my account that was VERY dirrogatory, untrue, and uncalled for which is a crushing blow for a person that doesn't sell that much stuff. It took my 100% positive feedback down to a 95, and guess what NOW nobody will buy from me.

Bottom line, He got PO'd because I wouldn't be his personal ATM without some type of proof that I sent him a bad unit, so he left the feed back to get back at me. I contact a supervisor from ebay and explained the scam to them, and they refused to help me.... After the 1 item I have left on there is done I will no longer sell on ebay because of an immature scam artist and the fact that ebay is just gonna let someone like that get away with it no matter how much proof I provide them that his claim is untrue they still won't help me so I'm done doing buss. with them!!
Old 02-24-2009, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

That's messed up. Some people have no respect. I think you should have knocked on his door and taken your axle back. Someone else would've been happy to have it. No shipping on big old car truck parts. Come and look with cash in hand. Buy if you like If not it just goes back in the pile for another day.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

you left him a A+++ positive feeback
Old 02-24-2009, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

feed back

Naah I haven't left him anything..YET.... I'm not the kinda guy to fight fire with fire. I had hoped Ebay would actually do an investigation (as they promised they would) and get the garbage he left removed... Instead they said all they could remove was the comment he left because it was out of line but they wouldn't remove the neg. rating no matter what. They first told me to sent them the msg's he sent me and I sent him to prove me point and that I did infact offer to settle it amicably, and I waited 4 days and never heard back from ebay about thier so called investigation. So i finally called them to see what was the hold up and they told me they removed the comment and the investigation was closed.....They didn't even bother to send me a msg letting me know they closed it, I had to call them to find out.
I asked why they can't remove the negetive rating, and they said that the msg's that THEY REQUESTED, CAN'T BE USED AS PROOF/EVIDENCE TO REMOVE A NEGETIVE RATING. I told the supervisor to F OFF, and asked why'd you even have me send them for then?? they said the person who had me do it blatently lied to me and they would be repremanded. Whatever I'm done with thier BS.
I'm just a young guy tryin to help put some food one the table and mabey enough extra get a few new toys for my 8month old son along the way, doing it honestly. Not to mention that I do all the labor of finding the parts removing them from vehicles and all that comes along with prepping them to sell, INCLUDING TESTING EVERY UNIT!!!! I test them @ the axle's and @ the yoke. I make sure both wheels spin the same direction 1st, then physically try and keep 1 axle from spinning then I repeat the same test on the other axle. I do it by placing a 1'' piece of rebar between the axle studs wedging it against the ground then tryin to spin the opposite side. Then I restrain both axles with the rebar, and put a tq wrench on the pinion nut which is where all of the engines TQ is going to.... If the posi breaks loose before maxing out my TQ rwrench ~240 ft lbs I have it rebuilt or I won't even take it, Because I know most guys using these have motors making well over 240ft lbs.... If it passes all those tests, spins freely with no gear unusual noise, then and ONLY then will I sell it a "GOOD USED THIRDMEMBER".

tHE ONE HE BOUGHT WAS MINE AND i KNEW IT LIKE THE BACK OF MY HAND SO I KNOW IT WAS A WELL ABOVE AVERAGE 3.50 TRAC-LOK UNIT!!! The ring and pinion showed NORMAL wear and it had .011" of ring gear lash and no rust, and the posi held up against my 355 which is making atleast 425 HP, and even it that big ***** bronco with 33x12.5 Dayton MT tires had no problem laying 2 black marks on dry pavement.... I p's me off that I even sold it to a person like that.... Had I known I was doin bussiness with a scam artist I would have just held on to it as a back up for one of my cars... The only reason I removed it was because I swapped it for a 5.83 Full spool 35 spline since they are only gonna let us run 100 ft this year

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.