Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   SBC adjusting roller rockers. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sbc-adjusting-roller-rockers-165760.html)

pittbull7934 09-27-2009 01:46 AM

SBC adjusting roller rockers.
 
I have 1.6 full roller rockers in my 383, can I adjust them Like I would normally adjust standard rocker arms?

I ask because I did, then I heard a ticking from the rockers, either this is normal or they are not adjusted correctly.

Thanks

Dustin

barnym17 09-27-2009 05:15 AM

With roller rockers (full roller I assume) some noise is inevitable.They are adjusted exactly the same as stock rockers.

S10 Racer 09-27-2009 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittbull7934
I have 1.6 full roller rockers in my 383, can I adjust them Like I would normally adjust standard rocker arms?

I ask because I did, then I heard a ticking from the rockers, either this is normal or they are not adjusted correctly.

Thanks

Dustin

Are you using a hydraulic or solid cam/lifters?

pittbull7934 09-27-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10 Racer
Are you using a hydraulic or solid cam/lifters?

I think i have a hydrolic flat tapit cam

S10 Racer 09-27-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittbull7934
I think i have a hydrolic flat tapit cam

You will need to know for sure what you have before you can adjust it correctly. A hydraulic cam/lifter combo adjusts to "0" lash while solids require a lash using a feeler gauge (somewhere around .022). If you have solid lifters and are adjusting it like hydraulic, things will go wrong in a hurry.

pittbull7934 09-27-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10 Racer
You will need to know for sure what you have before you can adjust it correctly. A hydraulic cam/lifter combo adjusts to "0" lash while solids require a lash using a feeler gauge (somewhere around .022). If you have solid lifters and are adjusting it like hydraulic, things will go wrong in a hurry.


I do have solid lifters.

pittbull7934 09-27-2009 10:01 PM

Crower Ultra Performance Compu-Pro Performance Level 4 Camshafts Camshaft - Hydraulic Flat Tappet - Advertised Duration 288 - 296 - Lift .497 - .504 - Chevy - Small Block
Brand: Crower, Mfr Part#: 00244

Sorry! Currently no stores sell this product.

Product Details

Specifications: * Advertised duration: 288 intake/296 exhaust * Duration at .050 in. cam lift: 234 intake/246 exhaust * Gross valve lift: .497 in. intake/.504 in. exhaust * Lobe separation: 112 degrees * Recommended compression ratio: 11:1 * RPM range for 350 level four: 2000 to 6200 rpm * 11:1 compression ratio recommended

my cam specs

S10 Racer 09-28-2009 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittbull7934
Crower Ultra Performance Compu-Pro Performance Level 4 Camshafts Camshaft - Hydraulic Flat Tappet - Advertised Duration 288 - 296 - Lift .497 - .504 - Chevy - Small Block
Brand: Crower, Mfr Part#: 00244

Sorry! Currently no stores sell this product.

Product Details

Specifications: * Advertised duration: 288 intake/296 exhaust * Duration at .050 in. cam lift: 234 intake/246 exhaust * Gross valve lift: .497 in. intake/.504 in. exhaust * Lobe separation: 112 degrees * Recommended compression ratio: 11:1 * RPM range for 350 level four: 2000 to 6200 rpm * 11:1 compression ratio recommended

my cam specs

While using solid lifters with a hydraulic cam has and is being done, it's not recommended but since you have solid lifters, you will always have a "ticking" sound because you have to adjust these with a lash setting. Because of the mismatch, I would set the lash at .022 on both intake & exhaust. The only way to get it quite is to change to hydraulic lifters and then you can adjust them to "0" lash.

pittbull7934 09-28-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10 Racer
While using solid lifters with a hydraulic cam has and is being done, it's not recommended but since you have solid lifters, you will always have a "ticking" sound because you have to adjust these with a lash setting. Because of the mismatch, I would set the lash at .022 on both intake & exhaust. The only way to get it quite is to change to hydraulic lifters and then you can adjust them to "0" lash.


When you say solid lifters, do you mean they are not roller lifters? Or can hydrolic lifters also not have rollers.

When you asked whether they were solid or hydrolic I thought ou were asking whether they were roller lifters.

If I have the right lifters with my cam how would i adjust them?

I can contact the builder to make sure, but I am pretty sure he matched the cam and lifters up properly.

BBCMudbogger 09-28-2009 08:56 AM

.....I do have solid lifters......I think....lol

S10 Racer 09-28-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittbull7934
When you say solid lifters, do you mean they are not roller lifters? Or can hydrolic lifters also not have rollers.

When you asked whether they were solid or hydrolic I thought ou were asking whether they were roller lifters.

If I have the right lifters with my cam how would i adjust them?

I can contact the builder to make sure, but I am pretty sure he matched the cam and lifters up properly.

In one of your previous posts you said you have solid lifters but then spec'd your cam as being hydraulic. That was my concern. We are talking lifters now, not rocker arms. If you have a flat tappet cam, you either have hydraulic or solid lifters. You need to know which one of these you have before you can adjust them because they are adjusted differently. You can look at the top of the lifters and if you see two small wires running across the top (one wire on each side of the pushrod), it's a pretty sure bet you have solid lifters. If there is a snap ring instead of the wires, it's a pretty sure bet you have hydraulic lifters.

pittbull7934 09-28-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10 Racer
In one of your previous posts you said you have solid lifters but then spec'd your cam as being hydraulic. That was my concern. We are talking lifters now, not rocker arms. If you have a flat tappet cam, you either have hydraulic or solid lifters. You need to know which one of these you have before you can adjust them because they are adjusted differently. You can look at the top of the lifters and if you see two small wires running across the top (one wire on each side of the pushrod), it's a pretty sure bet you have solid lifters. If there is a snap ring instead of the wires, it's a pretty sure bet you have hydraulic lifters.

Thanks, I will get on it this weekend.

If I have hydrolic lifters I should use a feeler gauge to adjust them?

S10 Racer 09-28-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittbull7934
Thanks, I will get on it this weekend.

If I have hydrolic lifters I should use a feeler gauge to adjust them?

NO, if you have hydraulic, they will be adjusted with "0" lash. If they are solid, they get adjusted with a feeler gauge. You may want to pick up a book on engine rebuilding or search thru Hotrodders for articles related to valve adjustment. There is plenty of info on here for that. The valve adjustment needs to be correct so it's important to get it right, but again, you HAVE to know what kind of lifters you have first. Good luck and keep us posted.

pittbull7934 09-28-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10 Racer
NO, if you have hydraulic, they will be adjusted with "0" lash. If they are solid, they get adjusted with a feeler gauge. You may want to pick up a book on engine rebuilding or search thru Hotrodders for articles related to valve adjustment. There is plenty of info on here for that. The valve adjustment needs to be correct so it's important to get it right, but again, you HAVE to know what kind of lifters you have first. Good luck and keep us posted.


Thanks for clarifying, and please excuse my ignorance, but what does "0" lash mean?

jimfulco 09-29-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S10 Racer
You can look at the top of the lifters and if you see two small wires running across the top (one wire on each side of the pushrod), it's a pretty sure bet you have solid lifters.

Pretty much every stock-type hydraulic lifter I've ever seen has had that kind of straight-sided wire clip at the top.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.