SBC adjusting roller rockers. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-27-2009, 02:46 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: sd
Posts: 204
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
SBC adjusting roller rockers.

I have 1.6 full roller rockers in my 383, can I adjust them Like I would normally adjust standard rocker arms?

I ask because I did, then I heard a ticking from the rockers, either this is normal or they are not adjusted correctly.

Thanks

Dustin

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-27-2009, 06:15 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: chillicothe oh
Age: 47
Posts: 1,445
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With roller rockers (full roller I assume) some noise is inevitable.They are adjusted exactly the same as stock rockers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-27-2009, 08:52 AM
S10 Racer's Avatar
http://www.warsprints.com
 

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: At The Dirt Tracks
Age: 55
Posts: 1,935
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull7934
I have 1.6 full roller rockers in my 383, can I adjust them Like I would normally adjust standard rocker arms?

I ask because I did, then I heard a ticking from the rockers, either this is normal or they are not adjusted correctly.

Thanks

Dustin
Are you using a hydraulic or solid cam/lifters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: sd
Posts: 204
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
Are you using a hydraulic or solid cam/lifters?
I think i have a hydrolic flat tapit cam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-27-2009, 12:44 PM
S10 Racer's Avatar
http://www.warsprints.com
 

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: At The Dirt Tracks
Age: 55
Posts: 1,935
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull7934
I think i have a hydrolic flat tapit cam
You will need to know for sure what you have before you can adjust it correctly. A hydraulic cam/lifter combo adjusts to "0" lash while solids require a lash using a feeler gauge (somewhere around .022). If you have solid lifters and are adjusting it like hydraulic, things will go wrong in a hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: sd
Posts: 204
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
You will need to know for sure what you have before you can adjust it correctly. A hydraulic cam/lifter combo adjusts to "0" lash while solids require a lash using a feeler gauge (somewhere around .022). If you have solid lifters and are adjusting it like hydraulic, things will go wrong in a hurry.

I do have solid lifters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: sd
Posts: 204
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Crower Ultra Performance Compu-Pro Performance Level 4 Camshafts Camshaft - Hydraulic Flat Tappet - Advertised Duration 288 - 296 - Lift .497 - .504 - Chevy - Small Block
Brand: Crower, Mfr Part#: 00244

Sorry! Currently no stores sell this product.

Product Details

Specifications: * Advertised duration: 288 intake/296 exhaust * Duration at .050 in. cam lift: 234 intake/246 exhaust * Gross valve lift: .497 in. intake/.504 in. exhaust * Lobe separation: 112 degrees * Recommended compression ratio: 11:1 * RPM range for 350 level four: 2000 to 6200 rpm * 11:1 compression ratio recommended

my cam specs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2009, 03:28 AM
S10 Racer's Avatar
http://www.warsprints.com
 

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: At The Dirt Tracks
Age: 55
Posts: 1,935
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull7934
Crower Ultra Performance Compu-Pro Performance Level 4 Camshafts Camshaft - Hydraulic Flat Tappet - Advertised Duration 288 - 296 - Lift .497 - .504 - Chevy - Small Block
Brand: Crower, Mfr Part#: 00244

Sorry! Currently no stores sell this product.

Product Details

Specifications: * Advertised duration: 288 intake/296 exhaust * Duration at .050 in. cam lift: 234 intake/246 exhaust * Gross valve lift: .497 in. intake/.504 in. exhaust * Lobe separation: 112 degrees * Recommended compression ratio: 11:1 * RPM range for 350 level four: 2000 to 6200 rpm * 11:1 compression ratio recommended

my cam specs
While using solid lifters with a hydraulic cam has and is being done, it's not recommended but since you have solid lifters, you will always have a "ticking" sound because you have to adjust these with a lash setting. Because of the mismatch, I would set the lash at .022 on both intake & exhaust. The only way to get it quite is to change to hydraulic lifters and then you can adjust them to "0" lash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: sd
Posts: 204
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
While using solid lifters with a hydraulic cam has and is being done, it's not recommended but since you have solid lifters, you will always have a "ticking" sound because you have to adjust these with a lash setting. Because of the mismatch, I would set the lash at .022 on both intake & exhaust. The only way to get it quite is to change to hydraulic lifters and then you can adjust them to "0" lash.

When you say solid lifters, do you mean they are not roller lifters? Or can hydrolic lifters also not have rollers.

When you asked whether they were solid or hydrolic I thought ou were asking whether they were roller lifters.

If I have the right lifters with my cam how would i adjust them?

I can contact the builder to make sure, but I am pretty sure he matched the cam and lifters up properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 875
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
.....I do have solid lifters......I think....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2009, 12:49 PM
S10 Racer's Avatar
http://www.warsprints.com
 

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: At The Dirt Tracks
Age: 55
Posts: 1,935
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull7934
When you say solid lifters, do you mean they are not roller lifters? Or can hydrolic lifters also not have rollers.

When you asked whether they were solid or hydrolic I thought ou were asking whether they were roller lifters.

If I have the right lifters with my cam how would i adjust them?

I can contact the builder to make sure, but I am pretty sure he matched the cam and lifters up properly.
In one of your previous posts you said you have solid lifters but then spec'd your cam as being hydraulic. That was my concern. We are talking lifters now, not rocker arms. If you have a flat tappet cam, you either have hydraulic or solid lifters. You need to know which one of these you have before you can adjust them because they are adjusted differently. You can look at the top of the lifters and if you see two small wires running across the top (one wire on each side of the pushrod), it's a pretty sure bet you have solid lifters. If there is a snap ring instead of the wires, it's a pretty sure bet you have hydraulic lifters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: sd
Posts: 204
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
In one of your previous posts you said you have solid lifters but then spec'd your cam as being hydraulic. That was my concern. We are talking lifters now, not rocker arms. If you have a flat tappet cam, you either have hydraulic or solid lifters. You need to know which one of these you have before you can adjust them because they are adjusted differently. You can look at the top of the lifters and if you see two small wires running across the top (one wire on each side of the pushrod), it's a pretty sure bet you have solid lifters. If there is a snap ring instead of the wires, it's a pretty sure bet you have hydraulic lifters.
Thanks, I will get on it this weekend.

If I have hydrolic lifters I should use a feeler gauge to adjust them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2009, 03:47 PM
S10 Racer's Avatar
http://www.warsprints.com
 

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: At The Dirt Tracks
Age: 55
Posts: 1,935
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull7934
Thanks, I will get on it this weekend.

If I have hydrolic lifters I should use a feeler gauge to adjust them?
NO, if you have hydraulic, they will be adjusted with "0" lash. If they are solid, they get adjusted with a feeler gauge. You may want to pick up a book on engine rebuilding or search thru Hotrodders for articles related to valve adjustment. There is plenty of info on here for that. The valve adjustment needs to be correct so it's important to get it right, but again, you HAVE to know what kind of lifters you have first. Good luck and keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: sd
Posts: 204
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
NO, if you have hydraulic, they will be adjusted with "0" lash. If they are solid, they get adjusted with a feeler gauge. You may want to pick up a book on engine rebuilding or search thru Hotrodders for articles related to valve adjustment. There is plenty of info on here for that. The valve adjustment needs to be correct so it's important to get it right, but again, you HAVE to know what kind of lifters you have first. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for clarifying, and please excuse my ignorance, but what does "0" lash mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 09-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Shreveport LA
Age: 65
Posts: 5,103
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
You can look at the top of the lifters and if you see two small wires running across the top (one wire on each side of the pushrod), it's a pretty sure bet you have solid lifters.
Pretty much every stock-type hydraulic lifter I've ever seen has had that kind of straight-sided wire clip at the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sbc pushrod length using stock rockers GMR Hotrodding Basics 3 07-07-2009 10:17 PM
roller rockers for sbc 350 70ChvyNova Engine 4 12-06-2006 12:24 AM
Roller Rockers for a Stocker? coda618 Engine 4 10-28-2006 09:51 PM
PONTIAC ROLLER ROCKER/CAM 455 VALVE ADJUSTING trannsientorca Engine 2 11-10-2002 10:13 AM
Adjusting valves with Roller tip rockers...... joakes Engine 6 10-19-2002 06:54 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.