SBC/BBC in ALL(?) streetrods - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 12:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ac/Dc-that was sarcasm. Everyone knows that MOPAR!!! rules everything.

And keep in mind, crate hemi's aren't really in the same price range as anything else.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

This one has been beat to death. The guys here who MUST be different, or don't actually have a car bad mouth the SBC all the time. Why does everybody use this motor??? Simple, add it up. Try to build a 350-400 hp SBF, or SBD....... Yeah it costs half to build a stout SBC.

And why is that, also simple. They've been building the same motor since what 1955 (could be wrong, but I'm close) so there are plenty of parts around, and best of all... Yup you guessed it they're all interchangeable parts (how can you possibly bad mouth that????) Therefor all the aftermarket guys get into the SBC a bit heavier than the others, and yeah that makes the aftermarket stuff a bit cheaper. I don't see the problem with the SBC, some guys gotta be difficult, or just have to be different. There is no real down fall to the SBC, they can make real big power, as much as the other small blocks for way less money. Granted the small block Fords are getting cheaper to build.

I'm not saying everybody should run a SBC, and those who don't are crazy, but for the guy/gal who wants low buck HP, the SBC is the answer. I know there are other motors out there, and I like 'em all. BUT I won't be one of the guys bad mouthing the SBC just because its popular.

Like I've been told it takes all kinds, some like to go against everything that is popular....Be different. I'm not one of those guys. I do what it takes to get the job done. If I have a 350, I'm gonna use it, whether the pompous no Billet, or SBC Club likes it or not.

As for Big Blocks, why run the Chevy??? It once again comes down to one, maybe two things Cost, and loyalty. Cheaper to build, and Chevy guys are pretty Loyal. I have talked to many people (some here on Hotrodders) who were there for the Muscle car era, and ALL of them say the real fast cars were the BBC powered cars, as the Hemi cars were mostly Heavier, and dogs out of the hole. Sure now the Hemi IS the BB to beat, but 40 years of testing will do that.

The argument about NHRA's top fuel cars running Hemi's is stupid, you realize these Hemis are not at all what Mopar built.... Right?? Its just the idea these guys use now, and from what I understand nearly all new cars use this idea... They just can't call it a Hemi. Not to mention a crate Hemi would cost you a fortune.... Compare with the aforementioned BBC, and you got it.. Way cheaper.

So in closing Why not run a Chevy? To be different, or because you like something else more, and thats fine, but don't bad mouth Chevy just because they're being used more.... This isn't a popularity contest. The Cross breeds thing is another crazy topic, use what you got, want, or can afford. This is Hotrodding, and who are ya doing it for? You or the the guy/gal looking at your ride?

bonuts
Old 04-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Build whatever floats your boat. If you dont like the way someone built it, no biggie. Its not like it cost you any money. Your point of view is understandable but it comes down to personal preference and there cannot and never will be a definitive opinion or answer. Why do some people mix popcorn with ketchup? Hell if I know but as long as I dont have to eat it I really dont care. Get what I'm saying?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm454
its really None of your business what other people spend their money for...why are you trying to dis some for spending what they have on THEIR ride...not your ride?? Just a though but why don't you mind your own business and let eveyone else mind their's...just a thought mind you......Sound's like your just trying to start trouble...WHY??? Again...not that its any of your business but I don't mix my builds.....I don't mind sharing this with you.

Tazz

RAt Rods Rule!

You did not have to reply but yet you did. How in the hell am I starting trouble??!? I did not try to tell people what to build or what to put into their build. I just asked for a better reason than money. You know what? There hasn't been a good reason. So far yours has been the best, minding my own business. If everybody minded their own business there wouldn't be a forum for us to chat. Siggy_Freud has a good point also. To each his/her own!
I'm really surprised that someone didn't call me out on the 9 inch Fords that are used alot in rods of all makes.

bonuts, notice I said NHRA style (Dodge/Chrysler) which was a very DUMB way for me to make the point about the power of hemi's. My bad but the NHRA hemi's are made from the blueprint of the Dodge/Chrysler hemi's. Do you think these new generation BBCs are the same as the original? No but they use the blueprint of the first ones. Get my point?

Keep in mind people that I wanted a different reason than cost. I meant to ruffle some feathers but not to come off as being "better than you". Keep the comments coming and I will take the time to get off my perch!!
Old 04-11-2005, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

In defense of SBF and BBF

To the unwashed minions that have never built a Ford engine and think it costs a lot more than building a chevy are totally misguided. Youve never tried building one and have only listened to people that dont know anymore than you do. While in some respects building a Ford is nominally a little more, having raced stock cars, I discovered one factor. Most of the guys I raced against went through 2-3 motors a year, and I could run mine for the whole season without going through it. And I wasnt the one running high dollar equipment, mostly factory parts. My engines didnt desentigrate with stock parts when it went over 7000 RPM. So when you make blanket statements about an engine, be sure you know what you are talking about.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:59 AM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

Uh Max, yeah I have raced circle track since I was 16, I'm pretty sure I do know what I'm talking about with these motors. I have run them both Ford, and Chevy. And yes Chevy's ARE cheaper to build. As for reliability I couldn't disagree more. They're both reliable. All my SBC mills have held up just as good as the Fords. Forgive me if being called a "unwashed minions that have never built a Ford engine" gets me going. I have built many Fords, or have had many Fords built for me, by the same builder who builds my Chevy's.

I have raced everywhere from street stock to late model, and the Chev motors have always been cheaper to build. As a matter of fact, in the last two seasons we have won 9 main events out of 20 entered, and I have never been out powered by the Fords. At the 2 tracks we regular 95% of the cars are SBC powered....Coincidence....? I doubt it. This trend is not just prevalent at the tracks I frequent, everywhere the classes are flooded with SBC's compared to guys who run Fords, and Mopars. Thats a fact. Why is that? I think I covered that.

Quote: "Youve never tried building one and have only listened to people that dont know anymore than you do." Quote:Most of the guys I raced against went through 2-3 motors a year, and I could run mine for the whole season without going through it. And I wasnt the one running high dollar equipment, mostly factory parts. My engines didnt desentigrate with stock parts when it went over 7000 RPM. So when you make blanket statements about an engine, be sure you know what you are talking about.

Now thats a "Blanket statement" Just because YOU had better luck with Ford engines means nothing. So the Chevy's die 3 times a season?? And yours last the whole season? Thats blanket. Just out of curiosity have you built a SBC lately? Compared prices? I have. From oil pan, to intake everything SBC is cheaper.

Like I say I have ran for almost 8 seasons, I have run everything from a Olds 350 Rocket to the SBC I run now (never ran a Dodge... Sorry) And nothing has come close to the affordabilty of the SBC. And its not just me, if what you say is true why would the SBC still to this day be the more popular engine? If Fords outlast the Chevy's 3-1 or better, and are the same amount to build I, and the rest of the Chev fans would convert. But its simply not true. Not all these guys are changing. I'm a die hard Chev fan, but if you prove to me I'll save money on rebuilds, and make the same power for the same money, I'd convert. I'm a Chev fan but I'm not stupid. Save me money I'll go Ford

Last year I traveled to 3 North West Late model races. Of the 40-45 cars we saw 1 was a Dodge, never qualified, and there were 4 Fords. Explain why all these high dollar guys (and they're not backed by Chevy) run SBC power. The SB2 is a great thing, but not all these guys ran them. If there was as you say no cost difference, and Fords were more reliable, why wouldn't these smarter than I guys run other mills? All the evidence leads to the SBC is still the leader as far as Small Blocks go.

Max you say "you discovered" The Fords are more reliable, I guess the rest of the racing population has yet to discover that FACT. Reliability is priceless, so if they really are more reliable, more would run them. And that isn't happening..... Yet anyways, it may happen. And if they are, I'll join the Blue Oval gang to. Just from everywhere I've been Its predominately Chebby.

bonuts
Old 04-12-2005, 07:09 AM

Last photo:

Most chevy engines will swap parts withno mods yet in the Fords you cannot besure the 390 will fit another 390. Fords do well in factory racing with all the bucks and engineering but for the guy only building one or two he needs things that fit and are cheap and are available.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:21 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally

Most chevy engines will swap parts withno mods yet in the Fords you cannot be sure the 390 will fit another 390. Fords do well in factory racing with all the bucks and engineering but for the guy only building one or two he needs things that fit and are cheap and are available.
This is true. I for one greatly appreciate CHEV engineering regarding their SBC. It would make things on my side of the aisle much easier had FORD paid attention.

But it also would be nice to have a general conversation regarding a subject like this without the juvenile section humming in on which brand of power is best (in their eyes). All brands have contributed to the hobby and all brands have taken home their share of checkered flags. The origional statement was why will someone put so much money into an early FORD chassis and just simply drop a BOWTIE crate into it? When I walk upon one, I just simply walk away from it. It is telling me that there is most likely more GM components employed in the build.

There were no '32 CHEV and DODGE roadsters stamped?
Old 04-12-2005, 10:15 AM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

I am not a huge fan of crossbreeds either I would much rather see someone engineer a 390 Ford into a 32 roadster than take the route of everyone else and put a 350 chev in it, but if thats what your into, it didn't cost me a cent.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

I also like to see ford in a ford, but to space limitations such as mine `37 ford, unless you modify firewall and or rad, small block fords do not fit, some companies are just now addressing this issue, an article in street rodder on water pumps for ford, but now is too late, so its not all due to the fact they like chevy or even want it, just out of necessity!
Old 04-12-2005, 12:17 PM

Last photo:

Whatever floats your boat

I guess what this boils down to is to each his own. Ive had exceedingly good luck with Fords and Ill stick with them, both as far as reliability and cost.
All I can speak from is my own experience, what has personally happened to me. I dont challange the fact that there are more Chevy engines being used in more varieties of ways, than are Ford engines. Thats a given. And yes I have run chevy engines, and Ive never had any serious complaints about the Chevy engines other than what I found to be a reliability issue when using stock components, again from personal experience.
This fued will go on forever of which is the better engine, and I suppose in the long run, it really doesnt matter, as long as each is free to do as he chooses on that matter.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

IMO, SBC is cheaper and more readily available. If getting your ride put together and down the road is your primary concern, by all means grab a bowtie. I don't always follow the crowd. In the past I've built a 383 stroker for my 67 Camaro and loved it, I've used SBC where they are the simple bolt in choice, and done the same with Ford products. If I was building a car where I knew I'd be fabricating mounts etc. in order to install the running gear I'd likely go with what I had available, trying to use the free components and then search for what I need to bring the package together.

For example, if I was building a kit '32 highboy, my available choices are use the 383 I pulled from the Camaro, maybe 300-400 clams to freshen the motor, and then dig up a useable transmission that could handle the torque or Use one of the 390s I have on hand, again a few bucks to freshen the motor, maybe a double the cost of the 383 if I toss in a valve job and aluminium intake. then of course the exhaust would be higher, but not totally whacked. Hang a C6 from under the bench onto the FE and I've got a rock-solid 350 HP and a bulletproof trans. With the 383 I'd have to keep a close eye on it all the time, worrying about cooling, oiling, etc. and likely be reliable for 30-60K Miles. The FE would be on the extremely conservative side of it's power potential, and could easily be flogged heavily for 100K Miles. The advantage I suppose is that I have more Ford parts kicking around. One other thing I neglected to mention that KULTULZ (Mr. C-P) mentioned is when it's parked and people walk by and do the double take.... "WTH is that????" "it's a Ford FE, pretty cool looking eh? They were available in configurations from 332 to 428 cu in, from about 150 to 600 HP. A little heavier than the SBC, a little lighter than the BBC."
Nobody will ever say "screw that, just drop in the 350 crate, why be different?"

Kind of like showing my Lincoln...... people walk by and ask "whatcha runnin? a V8?" The look is priceless when I open the hood and reply, "nope, V12, just like it's supposed to be"

I like to use whatever is available and is either a match or a common hotrod swap of the period. Sometimes it's SBC, BBC, SBF, V8 Ford, FE, or even BOC division GM power. (the big 60s and early 70s Caddy motors are awesome, even stock) I guess it's all just a matter of personal taste.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:48 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggarmike

KULTULZ (Mr. C-P)

Now what is a Mr. C-P?
Old 04-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

The proverbial Ford Man..... It's in your avatar. "Certified Performance"
Old 04-12-2005, 09:30 PM

OK, here is what I got from reading your post on here. SBC/BBC are easy,cheap and interchangable. All of those things sum up one thing to me, unoriginality. All you racers and such don't count into that sum. I'm talking about the "crossbreed" people. I to have been around the track, racing and pulling, I've beat the big three(Ford,Chevy&Dodge) and been beaten by the three. I used Chevys in my rides(my rides were Chevys by the way) and I've found that there is always someone better on any givin night.
As a builder I became frustrated with Chevy,Chevy,Chevy because the fact that people lacked the capablity see past the easy,cheap and interchangable. Hell I seen a place that sells SBC vavle covers that have Ford stamped on it. That was the final straw. How lame and how rude is that? Guys/gals, I'm not trying to cut down anyone and if I gave that impression I'm sorry but damn people, be different. Putting SBC/BBC in Fords and such is NOT being original or different, it's just being plain ol easy and cheap to do! For those of you who don't have Boyd or Foose type money(which is ALOT of us) I can understand the cheap part. As I said at the start of this thread, car shows(big ones,Goodguys etc.) and magazines where the big bucks are spent on the cars is where my problem lies with people doing the cheap and easy.

Thanks for the replies!!!
Closed Thread

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.