SBC/BBC in ALL(?) streetrods - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

To be honest why do I think they do that... Simple... appeal... If someone is looking at a rod that has had so many things done to it that you can hardly tell what it is. OR even the almost org. rod that has been moved to 2005 spec. the people who buy them still have preferance. The guy holding the $500,000 check is a chevy man maybe his rich friends are too and he'll be darned before he spends money on ANYTHING else. I know it is sad to see I would really like to see different engines around. The problem is that if some rich guy buys it has his friends over and he explains that the engine is "insert strange engine here" his friends are like umm yea nice... He goes it is a full blown BBC they go OOO kinda like my car at home...

See where im trying to go with this?

They make cars that look good and sell. They have a huge fan base of people who are die hard chevy or ford fans. Putting other things in there could deter people. Some person who really knows his stuff might think it is th greatest thing in the world but to everyone else it's just "THAT car with SOME engine"... Kinda have to think on the level of a non car person to see what they have to do it.

I don't always agree with it and I like people being creative but there are other powers a work.

Chris

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2005, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Hell I seen a place that sells SBC vavle covers that have Ford stamped on it. !
I should get a set of those on my car and blow *some* peoples minds.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:26 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggarmike

The proverbial Ford Man..... It's in your avatar. "Certified Performance"

...oh...

I thought it may have had something to do with your perception of my ancesteral heritage...

That's COMPETITION PROVEN by the way...
Old 04-13-2005, 04:44 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH..............................It's because more people like Chevy motors......................Just look at the polls we have on here all the time.

BTW, both my Pontiac and Ford are Chevy 350 powered.........................wouldn't have it any other way.

Budget RVs
Old 04-13-2005, 07:02 AM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

Officially, yes. Competition Proven. "back in the day"... I remember a few other things as well, mostly not flattering of the Holman-Moody organization! Was it you that sent me the scan of the newspaper clipping showing the HM shop with the rows of cammers sitting on shelves?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:30 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggarmike

Officially, yes. Competition Proven. "back in the day"... I remember a few other things as well, mostly not flattering of the Holman-Moody organization! Was it you that sent me the scan of the newspaper clipping showing the HM shop with the rows of cammers sitting on shelves?
No, I don't believe so. And what was unflattering about HOLMAN-MOODY?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I doubt that it is based on price or performance. It is just assumed that all street rods will have a Chevy crate motor. IMHO it is mostly an outgrowth of the Street Rod phenomenon which is the antithesis of what a hot rod is. Street Rods are NOT hot rods. They are built to a very specific but unwritten set of rules - everything must comply with those rules or the car will be shunned by the in-crowd. There can be NO junk yard parts; the body must be super slick and super flawless; only leather upholstery is allowed; the standard Chevy crate motor is required; drive train must be $$$$$ after-market kit from a small number of approved suppliers. Wheels must be creative, fancy yet somehow boring. Witness what has happened to the Chopper community - on those shows the whole focus is on the bike design and paint and they all just drop in the exact same crate motor - no emphasis on performance which was the genesis of the breed but has disappeared.

Late comers to the sport see 100 street rods for every hot rod, read Summit and Jegs catalogs which are 99% Chevy engine based and assume that Chevy engines are the only alternative.

Conversely, real hot rods are just what they have always been - a fringe minority of non-conformists who are driven to rebel, find odd junk yard parts to experiment with and in general have fun regardless of what the in-crowd says.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:24 PM

Last photo:

zzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...Who the heck cares, enough already, cant we all just get along. last weekend I seen a neat 51 Plymouth business coupe, I loved it till I found out it had a SB Chevy in it.... but the thing is...its not mine... & until the day comes that it is mine...it really doesnt matter what I think. The guy didnt build it for me...he built it for him, as long as he is happy, than thats all that really matters. John
Old 04-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys36@aol.com
I doubt that it is based on price or performance. It is just assumed that all street rods will have a Chevy crate motor. IMHO it is mostly an outgrowth of the Street Rod phenomenon which is the antithesis of what a hot rod is. Street Rods are NOT hot rods. They are built to a very specific but unwritten set of rules - everything must comply with those rules or the car will be shunned by the in-crowd. There can be NO junk yard parts; the body must be super slick and super flawless; only leather upholstery is allowed; the standard Chevy crate motor is required; drive train must be $$$$$ after-market kit from a small number of approved suppliers. Wheels must be creative, fancy yet somehow boring. Witness what has happened to the Chopper community - on those shows the whole focus is on the bike design and paint and they all just drop in the exact same crate motor - no emphasis on performance which was the genesis of the breed but has disappeared.

Late comers to the sport see 100 street rods for every hot rod, read Summit and Jegs catalogs which are 99% Chevy engine based and assume that Chevy engines are the only alternative.

Conversely, real hot rods are just what they have always been - a fringe minority of non-conformists who are driven to rebel, find odd junk yard parts to experiment with and in general have fun regardless of what the in-crowd says.
True that. About the choppers, the only guy who still put emphasis on the mechanical aspect on things (not the looks) was Indian Larry, and he never lost a biker build off. Too bad he's gone
Besides, a hot rod with attitude and a HEMI gets way more attention that your regular SBC powered cookie cutter, no matter if the paint is chipping or the interior is an indian blanket.

Mike
Old 04-13-2005, 02:50 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

you guys who don't like cross breeds should see the turbo charged 3.8L out of a Grand National in my friends 37 Ford sedan delivery. Very cool mix/match.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:01 PM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys36@aol.com

I think that is what my problem is. When I started, there were no kits, crates and very few factory hi-performance cars that the average individual could buy. If you wanted it, you bought a fifty dollar special and scrounged the junk yards for go fast parts.

I think this is why I despise watching AMERICAN HOT ROD so much. Just bolt together a few kits and you are a hero. No imagination at all.

Thanks for pointing me straight...

I am a malcontent...
Old 04-13-2005, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454
zzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...Who the heck cares, enough already, cant we all just get along. last weekend I seen a neat 51 Plymouth business coupe, I loved it till I found out it had a SB Chevy in it.... but the thing is...its not mine... & until the day comes that it is mine...it really doesnt matter what I think. The guy didnt build it for me...he built it for him, as long as he is happy, than thats all that really matters. John
If this bores you so then quit clicking on this. This is an opinion based subject that has no right or wrong. We keep discussing this because some of us like to chat.

Your point is well taken and I can fully understand what you say. I even said you had about the best reason for the "crossbreeding". So good night.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

quit playing defense.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Jet
quit playing defense.
what do you mean?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:44 PM

Last photo:

I probably shouldn't have said anything but I noticed you quickly defend this thread if someone says something negative about it or the topic. It's really not necessary though, there is a healthy discussion going on in here already and telling people "if you don't like it don't click on it" somewhat takes away from the thread. Also if it leads into an argument you may kill the thread completely.
Closed Thread

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.