SBC/BBC in ALL(?) streetrods - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2005, 07:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC/BBC in ALL(?) streetrods

I've been to a number of car shows and read several car magazines. I would like to know a GOOD reason why some rodders decide to put SBC or BBC in cars/truck not Chevy. Some of the dumbest ones I've heard was due to the cost of parts for Ford/Dodge motors. These people have these super nice rides with lots of goodies so (in my opinion) money is the lamest excuse! Next is power. If power is what they want then why not NHRA style(Chrysler/Dodge) hemi's? Can't beat that.

I once told some of these people who "crossbreed" that I wanted to put a Ford in a Camaro, my gosh I'm still getting death threats for that! Come on! Come on!!

For those of you who don't "crossbreed", excellent!!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2005, 10:00 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

money

The more money you save the more trick parts you can buy. Cross breeds are not all that bad of an idea. Mustangs are lighter than most any Chev. But they have a 302. Put in a 350 and you have an instant 48 cu inches.

Now the 302 Ford is relatively cheap to build. A set of heads for a 460 is almost double the price of 454 heads. They are 4 times the amount of 350 heads. So if you use a 350 sb, you just saved near $2000. I can buy a lot of doo dads with 2 grand.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

'cause people like to have the SAME MOTOR as 5 MILLION people around them I totally agree with you that they're excuses are lame. I mean I'm not dissing people who run one, that's fine with me, but why would you want a motor that EVERYONE around you is running? Be creative, put a Nailhead in your Ford, or a 427 Cobra in your Camaro...if you're gonna crossbreed, why not put a 351M in your '69 Yenko

Mike
Old 04-09-2005, 11:48 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The reasoning is it is cheap and easy to set a crate engine into a chassis. No imagination...no skills. SBC is cheap and quick. Just like BOYDS.

I don't have the money for a crate, so mine will always be a junkyard dog...
Old 04-10-2005, 12:00 AM

Because the BBC is unbeatable in every single aspect evar! Honest.....
Old 04-10-2005, 12:52 AM

Last photo:

Im not a fan of cross breeds either, its standered issue to see small block Chevy in ol street rods....but its so much cooler to see a correct manufacture engine.
Im a Chevy guy generally, but Ive got alot more appreciation for seeing a guy take a differant route rather than the cheap route.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:07 AM
aka Duke of URL

I forgot the most important thing, warranty. A SBC crate for the most part is cheap (as long as you don't go too far with it), is a straight start-up and if it fails you have something to fall back on.

I cannot remember the name of the TV show, but it shows rod build-offs and one guy built his own flathead with ARDUN heads and it developed a coolant leak on the dyno. He was short for time and had to make the show and was allowed to display it without running whereas his competitor simply dropped a crate in.

Even kit cars are setup for the most part to accept SBC and everything is plentiful and cheap.

FORD made a huge marketing mistake in the fifties when it allowed CHEV to out engineer them regarding a one-fit-all engine series. They had the Y-BLOCK (which wasn't a suitable small block engine for upcoming designs) and went straight to the FE. The SBF didn't come around until 1962.

CHEV simply out smarted them here.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:23 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454

Im not a fan of cross breeds either, its standered issue to see small block Chevy in ol street rods....but its so much cooler to see a correct manufacture engine.

Im a Chevy guy generally, but Ive got alot more appreciation for seeing a guy take a differant route rather than the cheap route.
They did make '32 CHEVS didn't they?
Old 04-10-2005, 10:21 AM

Last photo:

that wouldnt be a cross-breed
Old 04-10-2005, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketeer
The more money you save the more trick parts you can buy. Cross breeds are not all that bad of an idea. Mustangs are lighter than most any Chev. But they have a 302. Put in a 350 and you have an instant 48 cu inches.

Now the 302 Ford is relatively cheap to build. A set of heads for a 460 is almost double the price of 454 heads. They are 4 times the amount of 350 heads. So if you use a 350 sb, you just saved near $2000. I can buy a lot of doo dads with 2 grand.

Saving money....LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Velle
Because the BBC is unbeatable in every single aspect evar! Honest.....
BBC.....Like I said HEMI!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm NOT a Dogde guy but I'm also not blind!!! NHRA top fuel doesn't use BBC style motors!!
Old 04-10-2005, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
I forgot the most important thing, warranty. A SBC crate for the most part is cheap (as long as you don't go too far with it), is a straight start-up and if it fails you have something to fall back on.

I cannot remember the name of the TV show, but it shows rod build-offs and one guy built his own flathead with ARDUN heads and it developed a coolant leak on the dyno. He was short for time and had to make the show and was allowed to display it without running whereas his competitor simply dropped a crate in.

Even kit cars are setup for the most part to accept SBC and everything is plentiful and cheap.

FORD made a huge marketing mistake in the fifties when it allowed CHEV to out engineer them regarding a one-fit-all engine series. They had the Y-BLOCK (which wasn't a suitable small block engine for upcoming designs) and went straight to the FE. The SBF didn't come around until 1962.

CHEV simply out smarted them here.

Warranty huh? That's a new one but Ford/Chrysler and everybody else has warranties on their crate stuff too.Not good enough!!
Old 04-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

I have one for you....

its really None of your business what other people spend their money for...why are you trying to dis some for spending what they have on THEIR ride...not your ride?? Just a though but why don't you mind your own business and let eveyone else mind their's...just a thought mind you......Sound's like your just trying to start trouble...WHY??? Again...not that its any of your business but I don't mix my builds.....I don't mind sharing this with you.

Tazz

RAt Rods Rule!
Old 04-10-2005, 04:57 PM

Last photo:

why is saving money lame? its not for me...but maybe the guy doesnt really care what brand the engine is...but it looks, runs & drives good..& overall be maybe thousands of dollars cheaper than another engine combo. why thousands of dollars? premanufactured chassis made for the masses...set up for SB Chevys...redily available headers brackets, linkage ,shifter etc. made for the masses
Old 04-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:

SBC..made a million of them, there's about the same number of aftermarket suppliers that makes the parts affordable, compact in size, easy to build horsepower, reliable. For a budget minded builder, they're hard to beat. I'm going with a sbc in my 36, I had the engine for 15 years, rebuild cost was reasonable. Now, if I could find a 55 chev 2dr sedan ( I have a fix on one)I'd love to stuff a hemi in it or a 409, both wouldn't be cheap builds but certainly would be eyecatchers and haul serious booty. I don't knock anyone for engine choice, I'm happy with the fact that they are keeping the hobby alive. Straight 6 or 4 bangers to v-10s, they're a rodder and thats' what matters the most. Dan
Closed Thread

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.