Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC build. compression, quinch and cam opinions wanted.
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 10:01 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by techron
thanks my87Z for the LSA input.
thanks AP72 for the cam suggestions-they are right on. i just don't want to adjust solid lifters (i did too much of that in the 70s on C2 vettes. guys would come in and say "adjust my solid lifter cam" i would ask" what cam do you have, they would say " i don't know" so i would have to figure out wether it was a 30/30 dontov cam , or a .027, or an .017 solid lifter cam (they all were a pain)

also AP72, i have much more high speed cars with much more HP, so i don't think my vette will be much of a problem. after all, how fast can you do with a 4.11 in the rear.
my pantera will top out at at 150 MPH+

THANKS OLD RED i put much value on your comments. .
You're more than welcome. when choosing your cam I suggest you keep a few things in mind- your higher than normal compression ratio which wil need a farily big cam, your longer stroke which will like a narrow LSA than an equally built 350, your heads which will perform better with something close to a single pattern (rather than a dual pattern with excessive exhaust duration), and the fact that those heads really wake up around .500" lift. At the least I recomend using a higher ratio rocker, the best antipump lifters you can afford (since you want to go hyd.), and perhaps getting a "custom grind" from a cam comapny (I like Isky) using stock lobe grinds (its only about $50 more tahn a off the shelf, and well worth it in a build like yours).