Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   SBC build for light Datsun (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sbc-build-light-datsun-209759.html)

surpip06 12-03-2011 05:39 PM

SBC build for light Datsun

hey, Iím relatively new to motor building actually just sitting here bored in Afghanistan looking for advice, I have a 78' Datsun 280Z with a sbc conversion (383)with a T-56 3.55 gears in a car thats 2800lbs with me in it. I am looking for a high hp high revving upgrade I have already decided to try out the 32V heads from ARAO engineering either B or C-3 port (http://www.araoengineering.com/pakages.htm) I have the money to spend on a dart block and nice rotating assy but would like some advice on what setup to go with my goals are to rev to 8500K have 750+hp and have a ok amount amount of torque to play around with, am I way out in the woods here or is this attainable? im somewhat partial to large CI wouldent mind a 377 tho any ideas?

ap72 12-03-2011 08:38 PM

If you really want all of that forget about using an engine developed in the 50's. I would definitely go with a more modern engine that comes from the factory with dohc and a high stock redline. You'll need boost of course, turbos are easiest at those engine speeds. Be ready to shell out 30G+. Those rpm's don't come cheap.

surpip06 12-03-2011 09:47 PM

well id be great if i had that kinda money to play around with but i sadly dont i have about 12k to work with and the heads are about 7k take away another 2k for the block so is there any short block set up that can prduce these kinds of numbers? willing to compromise on numbers but not motor

BigEd36 12-03-2011 10:28 PM

surpip06, there is a lot of derogatory information about ARAO on the web. Do a search for ARAO engineering on www.speedtalk.com, and do a search for "ARAO customers" on the internet. Read this thread from Corvette Forum . I can't say any of this is true 'cause I have no experience with them, but I would be VERY careful and wary before you turn over that many $$$$.

lowROLLERchevy 12-04-2011 02:03 AM

I like the Idea of the Arao heads, but I would never hand them my money. Maybe they have turned around in the past few years but I havent seen much positive about them.

If it was me, I would first look into something like the Nissan VH series of engines.

http://zparts.com/showcase/engines/i...power_03rw.jpg

surpip06 12-04-2011 12:50 PM

well i called ARAO the other day i think the common misconseption about them is people dont realize they have to make your heads from scratch takes several mounths they dont have anything on hand an i have 6 mounths left on tour so i have the time to wait and plus i have the luxury of living somewhat nearbuy seems to good to pass up just because of what a couple people say on the internet and lowROLLER buy the time i get that nissan egine (however sweet that may look) i will probibly have alot more in it than planned so my question still stands where should i go with my short block?

Hotrodrobert 12-04-2011 01:15 PM

If I had the money, I would buy an old NASCAR engine. They are proven bulletproof over 750hp and 9k+ rpm. I have seen a rebuilt Nationwide engine detuned by cam and compression in a street Camaro with pretty good results. That is state of the art for that type engine and can be had at a price probably less than those heads and a block.
Most teams will sell outdated (like last season) engines at a reasonable price for what you get.

DanielC 12-04-2011 08:49 PM

There is a part of me that is thinking this car would be a fun car to drive, and part of me that is thinking you had better strengthen the body of the car to handle the extra power. I some how got a mental picture of this car coming off the line at a dragstrip, with only one front wheel on the ground, because the body of the car is twisted from the engine torque.

Landshark928 12-04-2011 11:03 PM

Is this a track only car? If not, get your 383 to 550-600HP and add a 150 shot of N2O on track days. 750HP on the street will not be fun.

I have 596HP. With 335 tires I can't hold the first 3 gears if I romp on it. I run a 200HP shot on track days with slics. My car is about 150 pounds heavier than yours.

Putting nice heads (AFR210, Airwolf 220e etc..) on your block with a forged rotating assembly along with a solid roller cam running .600" lift and about 250* @ 0.050 will get you there. Then add the giggle gas.

You'll have over half your money left over for suspension mods, tires, brakes or to save for use with your GI bill. :thumbup:

surpip06 12-05-2011 12:06 AM

i have already spent the money on suspension wheels tires and have reinforces the unibody with 1'' square tubing i have 13'' cobra R brembo's up front with a R230 out of a 3000 TT set up out back running 305 (just about take up half the car) i guess im not after the HP so much just hearing a SBC rev that high would make me happy haha and the ARAO Heads would give me something truly unique not sure how to post picks oh here but its a fairly decent car just not to entirely shure what i whant to do with the short block set up

ap72 12-05-2011 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surpip06
i have already spent the money on suspension wheels tires and have reinforces the unibody with 1'' square tubing i have 13'' cobra R brembo's up front with a R230 out of a 3000 TT set up out back running 305 (just about take up half the car) i guess im not after the HP so much just hearing a SBC rev that high would make me happy haha and the ARAO Heads would give me something truly unique not sure how to post picks oh here but its a fairly decent car just not to entirely shure what i whant to do with the short block set up

the ARAO heads has a TERRIBLE rap for quality. I'd avoid them like the plague- additionally why waste your time with an sbc? There are plenty of other V8's out there, many of them MUCH better than an sbc. 8500 RPM for 12K is not going to happen in an sbc... but it could happen with a few other engines.

I know many people aren't aware of this but the sbc is now the equivalent of what the flat head Ford was in the 70's... Sure you can build one but there's not really a good reason to (other than the extremely low budget cases where they have most of the parts already).

DanielC 12-05-2011 10:17 AM

I can understand your desire to use a SBC in the Datsun, and even the desire just to hear the "song" a high RPM Chevy V8 would make.

I also like some suggestions about getting an old NASCAR engine.

But I also think the suggestion about using other engines, possibly ones that are more current, and come with the ability to run the higher RPM, from the factory, because of more than two valves per cylinder, variable valve timing, and fuel injection. Honestly, the Chevy V8, although a good engine has been over done. I am sure many of us have been to car shows, where it is a matter of this. "Oh, look, another 32 coupe with a Chevy V8".

But it is your car, not mine. Good luck with the project.

Now, if I could figure out how to get that Ford FE 428 into one of my Datsun 521 trucks, in the shed. And not just put it in the pickup bed.

AutoGear 12-05-2011 03:01 PM

We do a lot of LT1 T-56 parts; so Im intimately familiar with the JTR and the Scarab conversions. Heres my thing. You can build a supercharged LS motor, or turbo for less; and have better parts.

surpip06 12-05-2011 03:17 PM

i agree a used ls7 would be a great motor to stick in it, if i had the money at the time i probibly would have gone that route but i have way to much invested in the setup i alredy have (tranny, k member fuel system exhaust) to ditch it all and go with a ls set up i am looking into getting a used chevy nascar motor no sutch luck so far andi agree with daniel it is way overdone but there is a good reason for it no denying that i have been in contact with ARAO Dart and Boyd's racing engines in OK and the general consencus is a 372CI would reach my power goals rev to 8k easy and cost around 15 grand coupled with my t-56 and a 3000 lb car/driver should make for some serious fun

AutoGear 12-05-2011 03:37 PM

youre going to do what you want and thats fine. Theres a reason that arao style head has beer around for a long time and Ive never seen a set in person. Personally, you dont need a used nascar motor, just the top end. There are way WAY more guys running a set of SB2 heads and intake and easily pushing your goals. One of our 4spds is behind one and the guy winds it up like grand dads DZ302. Personally the Arao stuff makes good conversation, but the application makes me nervous. id say a 370 - 380'' or so aftermarket shortblock with SB2 top end (prepped by people familiar w. Them) gets you there with cash left over. thanks for your service.