Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sbc burning oil
Thread: sbc burning oil
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 10:53 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

many aftermkt valve covers do have the holes directly aligned with a rocker so that at 50psi oil pressure it can/will spray the breather and pcv at rpms...

the oil sucked up by the pcv lays in the rough surface intake till ya hit the gas and flush the oil into the cylinders to make smoke....

the fact that 3 breathers have clogged due to oil splash does indicate it's a baffles/breather location problem.....

to get the cylinders clean enough to check the plugs to (hopefully!!!) eliminate any rotating assembly problem as the smoke source....
make a simple "oil accumulator" to stop any oil from getting into the cylinders thru the PCV!!!!
8oz screw top (peanut butter?) glass jar...
couple of (whatever) 3/8" fittings, one around 2" long, the other around 1" long ...
some (scrap) 3/8" hose...
drill 2 holes in the lid and connect the longer fitting going into the jar to the pcv with a hose...
connect the other shorter fitting thru the lid to the carb pcv hose...

now any oil the pcv does pick up will stay in the jar....

a "belt and suspenders" fix for the breather side is improve the baffle and mount the breather higher on a piece of heater hose or tubing etc...
( a plus reason for doing that is the breather will pull cooler air into the block, a pcv does move a fair amount of air thru the block while cruisin')

just for the idea of the oil accummulator set up, here's a pic of one I made from a $13? (wasted!***) compressor water collector I modified,,,,(instant coffee jar works just as well)

***(fun to laugh at yourself), I bought it because it has a spring loaded drain at the bottem,,,,to empty it into a jar....
it "has" threads on the jar, just as easy to unscrew the jar and dump it!!!

definitely correctly retorque your intake manifold!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil accumulator.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	33470