Sbc Cam Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 08:42 AM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last journal entry: My new 55 chevy pretty sharp
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sbc Cam Question

I Have Used Alot Of Different Hyd Cam Combo's In The Past, And Pretty Much I Dont Know If Its Me Or Not They All Sound Close To Being The Same,, Anywhere From A 500 Lift To A 540 Lift In The 240's At .50 Dur...... What Is The Best Ground Pounding Hyd Or Soild Cam You Have Heard, Or What Would Be Best For My Engine, Im Running A 406 Dart Alum Pro One Heads 205 215, Forged Je 11.5.1 Pistions, And A Forged Bottom End, Also A 5.7 Rod In The 406

I Want To Drive The Car To The Shows, But Go Run Good Times Also.
All In All I Want This Thing To Thump, I Have A 515 Lift Bracket Master Lunati In There Now And It Sound Good But Just Dont Pound Anuff 4 Me,,,, Thanks Guys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

Lunati Mother Thumper.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

Should be a simple choice since you know you want more cam then you have now. So you just need to run a cam with more duration then you have now. And maybe use a little less LSA.

What are your current cam specs?
Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

The only bracket master cam with 0.515" lift that I could find has these specs.

300/300 advertised
246/246 at 0.050"
0.515"/0.515"
108 LSA

This should be a pretty lopey cam.

what gear and stall are you running.

I guess, I would look for a cam with another 10 degrees of duration. You are getting into some seriously big cams once the 250 degree line is crossed.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:38 AM

how fast have you been already, what intake, carb, converter stall, headers.. i ran a crane flat tappet solid [252-260@50] that got my 408 sbc combo to 11.7 quarters and was driven about 2000 miles per year..obviously a roller will get you more power...remember the cam is part of the total combination
Old 06-19-2008, 01:59 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

If you want something that sounds different, you have to go with something that is different from what you have been using.

Isky #201549 288-292 258-263@.050" .547-.555" lift 106LSA. solid lifter cam
A good powerfull match for your 406 SBC
Degree it in on a 99deg intake C/L both to maximize overall torque and maximize the "thump" at idle. (exhaust valve opens sooner when the cam is installed advanced) Early exhaust valve opening and high overlap is what gives a cam the "thumper idle".
You'll find that this cam makes more power and rpm than what you have now and will definatly have a nastier (pro street) idle. Lock out the distributor mechanical advance curve and run full locked timing at idle. (34-36deg BTDC)
use a 3.5" power valve. Power brakes may be a challenge. A vacuum resivour and or electric vacuum pump will help if nessessary.
With .555" gross lift you may need to change the valve springs If you don;t have 1.44" -1.47"dual springs now.
Isky #6105 or Comp 987 dual springs will get the job done nicely.
If you want a nasty sounding idle and a powerfull cam for a S/S 400SBC
You'll like this one. Definately a step up from the cam you have now.
Also available in a "small base circle" version if you need rod/cam lobe stroker clearance.
www.iskycams.com Give 'em a call.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:54 AM

Last photo:

Find somthing with a lobe sep. of around 106-107, w/ 290 and up duration if you want a choppy sound.
I here that the thuper cams help intake vacume. Go to the comp cams web site and clik on the engine botom right of your screen. Yo uwill here the thumper cams, all three.

Oops, edited

Last edited by n-gin; 06-20-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-gin
Find somthing with a lobe sep. of around 106-107, w/ 290 and up duration if you want a choppy sound.
I here that the thuper cams help intake vacume. Go to the comp cams web site and clik on the engine botom right of your screen. Yo uwill here the thumper cams, all three. Those numbers they advertise with there cams are with 1.7 rockers so your lift will be lower then what they advertise.

The cam you are recommending is smaller than what he already has, and he doesn't like it.

BBC cam lifts are rated using their 1.70:1 standard rocker ratio
SBC cam lifts are rated using their 1.52:1 standard rocker ratio
Old 06-20-2008, 03:22 AM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
The only bracket master cam with 0.515" lift that I could find has these specs.

300/300 advertised
246/246 at 0.050"
0.515"/0.515"
108 LSA

This should be a pretty lopey cam.

what gear and stall are you running.

I guess, I would look for a cam with another 10 degrees of duration. You are getting into some seriously big cams once the 250 degree line is crossed.

Thats the cam i have right now,, it sounds pretty good but like i said i want this to to pound hard,, it runs hard and fast but sounds just a little over stock and i have big cash in this motor, thanks
Old 06-20-2008, 03:27 AM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrc
how fast have you been already, what intake, carb, converter stall, headers.. i ran a crane flat tappet solid [252-260@50] that got my 408 sbc combo to 11.7 quarters and was driven about 2000 miles per year..obviously a roller will get you more power...remember the cam is part of the total combination
The car went 12.40s on motor but i want it in the mid to high 11's like it should be with everthing else thats in the motor.... it has a 850 holley, victor jr intake, 3500 stall, and yes it is running Headers, 4.56 gears right now but im taking them out to stick a 3.50 gear in it, that way it can be drove on the hightway i little easyer,
Old 06-20-2008, 03:29 AM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrc
What lift was that cam? sound pretty good?
Old 06-20-2008, 03:45 AM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
If you want something that sounds different, you have to go with something that is different from what you have been using.

Isky #201549 288-292 258-263@.050" .547-.555" lift 106LSA. solid lifter cam
A good powerfull match for your 406 SBC
Degree it in on a 99deg intake C/L both to maximize overall torque and maximize the "thump" at idle. (exhaust valve opens sooner when the cam is installed advanced) Early exhaust valve opening and high overlap is what gives a cam the "thumper idle".
You'll find that this cam makes more power and rpm than what you have now and will definatly have a nastier (pro street) idle. Lock out the distributor mechanical advance curve and run full locked timing at idle. (34-36deg BTDC)
use a 3.5" power valve. Power brakes may be a challenge. A vacuum resivour and or electric vacuum pump will help if nessessary.
With .555" gross lift you may need to change the valve springs If you don;t have 1.44" -1.47"dual springs now.
Isky #6105 or Comp 987 dual springs will get the job done nicely.
If you want a nasty sounding idle and a powerfull cam for a S/S 400SBC
You'll like this one. Definately a step up from the cam you have now.
Also available in a "small base circle" version if you need rod/cam lobe stroker clearance.
www.iskycams.com Give 'em a call.

That looks like i very nice set up,, i like the lift and the dur on it very much,, your right this thing should run and sound great,,, only thing is that i have 1.6 rockers and i think that might put the lift up there i bit to high, inless i buy some 1.5 rockers,, i have dart pro-one heads with the bigger springs so they should be ok, but since im running a hyd cam right now i only have the spring psi set at 110 and i doubt thats anuff psi for that soild camshaft.....

I would love to find a cam with really close to those spec thats a hyd cam,, reason being i like betting the odds and getting them Hyd cam's to run just as good if not better track times then the soild cams u know 4 fun and for a quiet valve train noise,,,,, (dont get me wrong i like soild) But im going to put some thought in your cam choose, I think that should do i great job,,, thanks alot for the great info
Old 06-20-2008, 03:55 AM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last photo:

This cam really isnt much bigger then what i have now, but i here it sounds pretty good,, And i do like hyd cams, what do you guys think about this Grind below? as listed up above in my combo i want a camshaft to pound Hard and get my 406 in the 11's also i really would like to keep a hyd in there but that 547-555 soild that F-BIRD posted seems Nice

Brand: Crane Cams
Product Line: Crane Saturday Night Special Camshafts
Part Type: Camshafts
Part Number: CRN-110741
Cam Style: Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 3,400-6,800
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 244
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 252
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 244 int./252 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 300
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 308
Advertised Duration: 300 int./308 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.516 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.525 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.516 int./0.525 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 106
Old 06-20-2008, 05:26 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

That crane cam is not significantly different from what you have now.
it will sound the same.
If you pick a cam based on how it "seems". You'll pick the wrong cam.
A hyd cam by its very nature has design compromise limitations built in or else it won;t be a hyd cam.
if you want a new cam with signicant increases valve action and horsepower potential to warrant changing the cam out and want to go faster, install a real mechanical lifter racing cam. I didn;t suggest the isky 547-B cam based on how its seems. I've used this cam in a few motors. It makes serious power and is not hard to deal with. (valve lash adjustment). Forget about What you've heard about solid lifer cams. It's not true. Especially Isky's proven "hi rev" designs.
This is a stable running cam, designed to be easy on the valvetrain and last a long time while making superior power. Periodic valve lash adjustment is required. Take a hint from the OEM's muscle car days. All the top dog muscle cars of the 60's had a solid lifter cam.
The chrysler 225 slant six had a solid lifter cam.
This cam is one of the most popular Oval cams. Why, because it makes the serious power required. This is a "tight lash" design. The valvetrain noise at idle is very moderate. It's no more noisier at idle than the Extreme Energy hyd cam is in my 406. (Trust me, my next cam going in my 406 will be going back to a Isky solid)
it will run very well with a 1.6 rocker if you insist but will need the correct valve spring set at the correct installed pressure. Approx 135PSI seat.
Give Isky a call. They will get you set up right the first time. They are there to help you do it right.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 06-20-2008 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:33 AM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last photo:

F-BIRD.......I THINK IM GOING TO GIVE THAT isky A SHOT,, JUST MIGHT CALL SUMMIT TOMORROW AND ORDER IT IN,,, WHAT DO YOU SET THE VALVE SPRING PSI AT WITH THIS CAM THAT WORKS THE BEST,,, ALSO DO YOU THINK I SHOULD LEAVE MY 1.6 ROCKERS ON THERE OR BUY SOME 1.5' Thanks Again

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.