SBC cam for the street, hydrulic or soild lift - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2006, 12:32 AM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last journal entry: My new 55 chevy pretty sharp
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC cam for the street, hydrulic or soild lift

Hey guys,
I'm gettin ready to do a cam swap in my 406 pop-up motor. What do you guys think that would be the best for street and every once in a while drag racing? hyd or soild cam? I want a cam lift around 501 to 550 tops, like I said I want to drive this car on the street. I got all the good stuff to make a big cams work (intake/carb/gears/stall)
I do want to produce a decent amount of hp, just enough to get me in the 12's, but most of all it has to have a really chopy sound, the car is running low, low 13's as it is with a hydraulic 515 lift cam in it now.

I'm just wanting to freshen up the motor, and dont know if i should stay with hydraulic or go with a solid. Hydraulics are the easiest to adjust the rockers i do believe , I'm really not that familiar with solid lift cams that much, but i hear they produce the most power. With keeping in mind that this a street/strip car, would it be ok to put a solid lift in it? The reason i ask is i hear that solid lift cams make alot of valve train noise when driven daily. Is that true?

I also have a new set of 1.5 roller rocker's and a new set of 1.6 ratio rocker's so when making a cam suggestion which rocker's would be best for the cam/ext set up??? once again THANKS for all the great info i get on this site

If needed you can found out a little more about my car and engine set up on this previous post Thanks again still having 406 trouble

Advertisement

Last edited by tiresmoke55; 08-28-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2006, 08:14 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

I am sure somebody with more experience with solids will correct me but I was always under the impression that solids do make more power but they always had to have the lash adjusted. But I have also heard that you can use polylocks with them just like a hydraulic so you can set the lash and it will stay where you adjusted them eliminating that particular hassle.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:27 AM

Last photo:

Yes, solids are very noisy. If you don't like very mechanical sounding valve train then don't get a solid.

I find it easier to adjust a solid lifter cam because you do it with the engine off. However, it needs it done about once a month, depending on how you drive it.

A solid cam will typically make a little more power due to faster ramps.

I like the compcam 292H for your car. However, the cam you have is not your problem. The stock heads is what is holding you back. Invest in some Edelbrock rpm heads and leave the cam alone.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:59 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I would go with the Lunati 276 Voodoo cam with 1.6:1 rockers- its hydraulic, but the ramps are more agressive than alot of solids. You may need to keep the 1.5:1 on the exhaust side if you cannot get the valvetrain clearance. If you really like some lope ask them to reduce the LSA to 108 instead of 110.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:32 PM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last photo:

ok for the street would a comp cam 305h 525 lift be little 2 much for a weekend driver???? they say its not recommended but i really think it would be ok.. what do you guys think? thanks
Old 08-29-2006, 02:43 AM

Last photo:

I also believe the Comp 292H would be a good choice for you, the 305H is a little to radical for a street motor. I am using the Comp XE284H and am very happy with it also.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:59 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I have run solids for over 25 years. I adjust them once or twice a summer.

Depending on the grind, some are little noisier than some hydraulic grinds.

Solid cams allow the tuner to change the lash to get the car tuned in better (within reasonable limits).

Solid lifters don't pump up.

I guess you might say I favor solid cams.

tom
Old 08-29-2006, 05:06 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

gear drives

does any body have any sound effects on timing gear drives from your motor, post them, and what drive co it is,
Old 08-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

I run a solid roller In my Nova. I started the engine for the first time, got it to operating temp, adjusted the valves again, and never touched em since. Not much noise at all. I used a good set of stud girdles and rockers. The power gains over my hyd flat tappet was felt to me like 50 hp ! And If you like to work on your car like most of use do, its fun to adjust your valves once in a while. If your adjusting to get noise out all the time then something is failing in your valve train. Just my .02
Old 08-29-2006, 07:10 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

I agree with 454C10 and the people in your other threads. Upgrade the heads. They will become the ultimate limiting factor, it takes more than stall, gears, intakes and carbs to make a big cam work. It's all about the total package and the heads are HUGE part of that. I think at this point the bigger cam isn't going to get you where you want to go, or at least you aren't going to get the results the engine would be capable of putting out. Dollar for dollar I think your biggest gain is going to come from a head upgrade. Save the money for some good heads. They can be expensive but you're gonna have to jump in some time. Might as well make it now.

Maybe then you can match those up with a Comp 294S if at that point you still want to swap cams.

Last edited by Blazin72; 08-29-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:13 AM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last photo:

Im rolling my Penny's to get some new heads at the moment right now.... i just figure if im going to have the motor apart i would go ahead and freshing it up u know with a bigger cam is well..... wont take a extra hour with the heads off to do a cam swap, then im 100% sure whats in the engine also it should wake it up quite a bit i think,,,, kinda kill 2 birds with 1 stone u know...
Old 08-30-2006, 02:19 AM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last photo:

Does anyone know where a good deal on a set of aftermarket set of heads are kinda cheap? used or not... just need a good deal.... dont forget im a poor boy lol thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 07:53 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

You have to remember that bigger isn't always better. The 305H is excessive, the 292 (or whatever you have now) sounds as if it's plenty big enough. If you're gonna swap cams with the heads try to find a solid right around the same size cam you already have.

World Products and Dart have good Iron heads for under $1000. You're probably gonna want something with ~200cc heads, probably nothing bigger than that.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:42 PM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last photo:

hey guys.... Im going to a swap meet in Springfield Ohio this weekend,,, I hear they have a vendor there that sell's dart heads for company cost, like under $700 for a complete set WOW!!!!

comp cams says a 305h cam 525 lift is to much for the street but hmmm not sure about that,,, i know guys with 550 lift cam in there cars and they drive them ever weekend... There good on gas to, NOT just kidding about the mpg !!!!
ok i agree a 525 lift is alot for the street but for a weekend car it shouldn't be that bad i dont think... i had a 292h comp 501 lift in a nova i had and drove it ever day but i considered it as a mild motor.... the 501 lift sounded and rev-ed great but it could used a little more pounding from the tailpipes lol........

Yes i do know bigger isnt better so thats why im not sure i want to use the 305h 525lift cam in my car,,,, but i want this car to pound the ground when cruising into a car show With that said i might use the 292h comp 501 with 1.6 rockers or the 515 lift bracket master from luniti w/ 1.6 rockers............. i really think the 525 lift with 1.6 rockers would sound really really good but might be a little mis matched with my motor w/o getting new heads right now.... it would sound good but most likely run slower lol

thanks again guys
Old 08-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

I think you should have titled the thread " which cam sounds the best, I dont care how it runs!"

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.