Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC Collapsed lifter, or something else???
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC Collapsed lifter, or something else???

i have a 1972 gmc pick-up with a 350. I had driven the truck for atleast 500 miles with no prblems, then i started hearing a slight ticking sound, and at first thought it was just a hedder leak, so i checked the header gaskets and there was no problems. i continued to drive the truck for another day, and then it sat for about 2 weeks and i started the truck up to move it and it had a severe ticking coming from under the valve cover, which seemed like around number 5 cylinder and you could hear it clearly in the exhaust too. so i pulled the valve cover and i found that the intake rocker arm on cylinder 5 was way loose, i checked the rocker nut and it was tight, i checked the stud to make sure it hadnt pulled out, and i also checked the pushrod to see if it was bent and it wasnt. the pushrod does have i higher wear line on the lifter end than the exhaust rushrod on that cylinder. so i was wondering if this sounds like a collapsed lifter or maybe a bad cam, or just something more simple.