Hot Rod Forum banner

SBC coolant sensor location

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  BogiesAnnex1 
#1 ·
Wheres the best spot to put the sensor? I currently have it in the drivers side head but someone told me I should put it in the intake. Is there a diffrence? Why?

#2 ·
84TA406 said:
Wheres the best spot to put the sensor? I currently have it in the drivers side head but someone told me I should put it in the intake. Is there a diffrence? Why?
Where GM puts it is intended to give the highest reading possible which is return coolant that just passed the paired exhaust valves.

Installed at the return on the intake it will read cooler based on a higher amount of coolant being present than that which just passed the paired valves.

Certainly getting a reading off the paired exhaust valves has a certain shock value when the engine starts to get too warm as this value goes up quickly, but keep in mind that the center exhaust valves/seats are the most heat critical place on a Chevy head so it is a significant observation.

Bogie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.