SBC Crate engine help!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 04:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC Crate engine help!!!

I am trying to figure out which crate engine I have in my 1971 C10 the previous owner said it was a 290 hp GM crate engine but I would like to know for sure. I have the numbers off the front passenger side plate and it reads K1125PHA it also has center bolt valve covers. Can someone help me out here...Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 06:02 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

I think you need the casting numbers off the rear of the block ( Passenger Saide)
But you can try this site:
http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.php
Old 10-11-2011, 06:28 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj7698
I am trying to figure out which crate engine I have in my 1971 C10 the previous owner said it was a 290 hp GM crate engine but I would like to know for sure. I have the numbers off the front passenger side plate and it reads K1125PHA it also has center bolt valve covers. Can someone help me out here...Thanks
The "K" means the engine was assembled in Canada. "1125" is the 25th day of November.

The suffix "PHA" means a 1995 5.7L, Truck, AT, 210HP, TBI. This is the year before the "good" Vortec heads started, so it would have come w/swirl port heads originally.

Crate engines can begin w/"CE", sometimes you'll see "M" or "ML" if the engine was "Hecho en Mexico".
Old 10-11-2011, 08:46 PM

So will the weiand 142 roots blower work or is the cr to high?
Old 10-17-2011, 06:02 PM
WFO

Last photo:

To keep the info available to those who might do a search in the future for info on this engine, or ones like it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj7698
I wanted to know more about this engine 2 or 4 bolt main what cam and exactly what heads are on the engine? If you could give me this info or tell me where to get it I would greatly appreciate it..Thanks Jason
My guess is the heads will be the TBI heads referred to as "swirl port" heads. Casting number found under the valve cover will tell you if it is a SP head or not. Some casting numbers for the SP head are:
14102191- might be the 305 SP head?
Possibly 14102198? Truth be told I just don't know that much on the SP heads. Maybe someone can help here?

More on SP heads:
14102193 heads
There are MANY threads around the internet on these heads- there are guys who swear by them and other guys who swear AT them. I'd suggest you do a search for "swirl port chevy heads" and see for yourself. Generally speaking they have a 64 cc chamber and intake port volume of about 180cc- which sounds good on paper until you realize a lot of the port volume is due to the design of the port itself and possibly due to the swirl port "ramp" or "vane" that gives the heads their name.

The engine is likely a 2-bolt, but IMO until you get over 375 HP it really doesn't matter anyway. I've built some bad-A 2-bolt engines, just don't plan on stroking it to a 383 w/a 2-bolt bottom end or twisting it routinely to 7K RPM, etc.

The cam used for TBI was a VERY mild cam, around 0.400" lift and duration around 180 degrees @ 0.050" lift, and a LSA of over 113 degrees IIRC. This was to make a lot of torque down low in the power band and to have a lot of vacuum at idle so the engine can work efficiently at lower RPM for gas mileage, etc. Definitely NOT a performance cam by any stretch.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:11 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
So I called Steve Sluvik at Lunati and he suggested the 07101 lk so I ordered it now people are saying it wont work with my heads I dont have a problem buying aftermarket heads but Im on a budget so they would have to be cast and if they make them to fit my edlebrock intake that I already have that would save also any suggestions?..Thanks for the response Im not a gear head so I need all the help you guys can dish out!
I no longer pick cams for guys- it's a no-win situation, just like you are seeing w/the guy from Lunati telling you THIS CAM. Then a bunch of guys say NO WAY. Or the guy who I pick the cam for comes back and says that's not at all what he wanted, etc. So I won't do it, but I will say that seems like a lot of duration for that head w/o any mods or porting done to them and I agree w/the other member in the thread about that.

As for a different head altogether, I like the GM Vortecs. The production heads are great but need springs and self aligning rockers. Your engine might have the right rockers, I can't exactly remember if they're SA or not, so check them to see.

GM also makes Bow Tie Vortec heads that are very good heads, RHS makes a good iron head. You really need to research this to see all the options open to you. Or maybe someone will offer some advice on heads and cams...
Old 10-17-2011, 07:05 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Moderators

Any chance that this thread can be combined with the following thread? SBC head?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:41 PM

The 290 HP crate engine does not use center bolt valve covers, so that's not what you have.

Bruce

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.