Hot Rod Forum banner

SBC Crate Motor

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bullheimer 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I will be putting in a SBC in my project soon and I wanted to get everyone’s opinion. I am planning on buying a “Crate Motor”, definitely a SBC. I used an old 350 engine block to mock everything in place. Considering I want 350-400 HP and I still want to get good enough mileage to drive everyday, what are some good options? Any thoughts on carb vs. FI? I have looked at the Ram Jet 350, but I have not heard enough about it. Are there any other FI options? What is the word on Strokers? Will it bolt in place using the motor mounts I used for the Mock up? Any contributions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Brian Hix

#2 ·
Your small block chevy mount-up was a good start. from there you could go with a 383 if you wanted to.

In my personal opinion, I'd go with carburetion instead of injection, because it requires less "computer interaction" and its just generally easier to set up.

If you're insisting on buying a crate motor, you're gonna spend at least $4K to get 350 HP out of it.

Look at ZZ4's with upgrades to reach that kind of output.

I was torn between buying a crate and doing it the easy way, and trying to build my own. I chose to build, and it was the best decision I ever made in my life. I learned far more than I ever expected, and got way more than what I would have if I paid GM to put it together for me.

Remember a ZZ4's gonna cost you like $2500 and it doesn't even have forged pistons or a balanced rotating assembly!

My advice is to build, rather than buy. But I'm old fashioned like that.

Good luck, whatever your decision turns out to be!

tbw

#3 ·
It really depends on what your looking for as far as mileage. You can still get decent mileage on a carb that is tuned in. But if your truely concerned FI is the way to go. Done properly its actually quite easy to setup. Most the hardest way is to rip it off another car and retrofit it to yours. But many companies sell complete kits. These things can make some serious power and still maintain great MPG ratings. If you go FI tho, go with a multiport because in my opinion, TBI is a waste of time.

Like was said above, you will pay a lot for a crate engine in that power range. Depending on your level of knowledge and comfort with engine work, I'd build instead of buy. That way you can truely make it your unique setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.