sbc cyl head casting numbers for heads without acc holes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 03:49 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sbc cyl head casting numbers for heads without acc holes

was at the junkyard i deal alot with todoay and the guy showed me a engine he pulled out of a truck.its was supposed to be a vette engine/

i wrote down all the casting numbers but lost the paper before i could get home to look them all up

the block i do rember was a 0010 not important

the heads were early heads with no acc holes i recall the camel hump heads being 462 right??
but these heads had another number that i cant rember if i see it i would rember it though
anyone know all the casting numbers for the heads without the acc holes
these heads had 1.5/1.94 valves
the heads were off the engine and in really good shape with new springs locks retainers and roller tipped rockers.i can buy them for 60 bucks for the pair , wondering if they are worth it

if they are decent heads i want to get them to replace the ported 882 heads on my twin turbo camaro , and mo i dont need the acc holes since i have the bracket for the alt that bolts to the water pump

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 AM

Last photo:

if im right this was the casting number 3876132 from a 327 anyone got info on these?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:15 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
was at the junkyard i deal alot with todoay and the guy showed me a engine he pulled out of a truck.its was supposed to be a vette engine/

i wrote down all the casting numbers but lost the paper before i could get home to look them all up

the block i do rember was a 0010 not important

the heads were early heads with no acc holes i recall the camel hump heads being 462 right??
but these heads had another number that i cant rember if i see it i would rember it though
anyone know all the casting numbers for the heads without the acc holes
these heads had 1.5/1.94 valves
the heads were off the engine and in really good shape with new springs locks retainers and roller tipped rockers.i can buy them for 60 bucks for the pair , wondering if they are worth it

if they are decent heads i want to get them to replace the ported 882 heads on my twin turbo camaro , and mo i dont need the acc holes since i have the bracket for the alt that bolts to the water pump
There were quite a few heads w/the "fuelie" double hump identifier on them. You can also see here that there were a LOT of heads that ended in 462.

The fuelie heads like the 462's have a smaller combustion chamber so the compression ratio is going to be higher if you use them instead of the 882's, all else being unchanged.

They don't have hard exhaust seats- something required w/a twin turbo set up, IMHO. The runner volumes are relatively small as well. In general these heads are not what I would choose but they could be made to work. But by the time everything was done to freshen them up, you could buy a set of aftermarket heads w/the potential for a lot more performance.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
There were quite a few heads w/the "fuelie" double hump identifier on them. You can also see here that there were a LOT of heads that ended in 462.

The fuelie heads like the 462's have a smaller combustion chamber so the compression ratio is going to be higher if you use them instead of the 882's, all else being unchanged.

They don't have hard exhaust seats- something required w/a twin turbo set up, IMHO. The runner volumes are relatively small as well. In general these heads are not what I would choose but they could be made to work. But by the time everything was done to freshen them up, you could buy a set of aftermarket heads w/the potential for a lot more performance.
thanks these did apear to have been rebuilt recently so i wa shopping that maybe they did have hardened seats already installed.which is something i was going to check if they were worth the 60 bucks.

the smaller chambers will still put me at an acceptable compression ratio , the 882;s i have now are just fine was just thinking this could be a nice upgrade for around town driving when the motor isnt in boost, and that if the heads were better it would make more power with less boost

while i relize if i do want to upgrade vortecs would be a great head the problem is with my tpi intake i woudl have to buy a 500$ manifold base to use them .or i could buy a votec stealth ram for 500 but then everything just snowballs

so thats why i was considering getting them if they could be a nice cheap upgrade from my 882's
Old 09-06-2012, 12:02 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

You do realize that heads without accessory holes are going to require you to buy all new accessory mounting brackets and I believe you are going to have to a short water pump too. Also have to move the alternator from passenger side to drivers side and measure for new belts too. Probably a few zillion other things. You would be best off to avoid getting sucked into the double humps IMHO. There are many threads about this, just search this forum.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
You do realize that heads without accessory holes are going to require you to buy all new accessory mounting brackets and I believe you are going to have to a short water pump too. Also have to move the alternator from passenger side to drivers side and measure for new belts too. Probably a few zillion other things. You would be best off to avoid getting sucked into the double humps IMHO. There are many threads about this, just search this forum.
u did see were i said i already have the correct accesory mounting brackets to use the heads without mounting holes right
Old 09-06-2012, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

anyways i just wanted to know if they were simply a better head then what i have now , for 60 bucks if they did have the hardend seats in them already how could i go wrong

id bein it for a set of head gaskets + intake gaskets + the 60 bucks for the heads
Old 09-06-2012, 03:12 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

Quote:
u did see were i said i already have the correct accesory mounting brackets to use the heads without mounting holes right
Ha no I totally missed that. I have not seen flow numbers for either the double humps or 882 heads. Everything I have ever heard about the 882's is that they are terrible heads. I think they are despised due to low flow and if that is the case then the double humps ought to work a little better. Both are old designs so I wouldn't expect much difference between the two heads.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:08 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
anyways i just wanted to know if they were simply a better head then what i have now , for 60 bucks if they did have the hardend seats in them already how could i go wrong

id bein it for a set of head gaskets + intake gaskets + the 60 bucks for the heads
If the heads are rebuildable they're worth $60 IMHO, whether you used them or not.

As long as it doesn't detonate or cause a need to lower the peak HP timing, they will give better performance than 882's.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
If the heads are rebuildable they're worth $60 IMHO, whether you used them or not.

As long as it doesn't detonate or cause a need to lower the peak HP timing, they will give better performance than 882's.
thanks, while they will bump my cr i just ordered an alky injection kit so i really have 0 concerns about it pinging or detonating under boost

they apear to have had work done on them not to long ago as they had new springs locks retianers on them , along with rockers. i also saw the veicjal the engine came out of it was t-boned an totaled so i know it wasnt junked cause the engine went bad

the one set of flow numbers i have seen for the 882's were 202cfm intake cant recall the ex side. these were supposedly unported or touched but i suspect at;least a 3 angle valve job

does anyone know what the dbl hump flows stock and what they do ported
if its only a few cfm gain i wouldnt bother swapping them on , but i suspect it will be a bit of a gain cause if the 882 flowed as well as those heads ppl wouldnt be calling the 882 junk
Old 09-06-2012, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

Small block chevy head casting numbers

Check this site to find your casting numbers. Casting Numbers
Old 09-07-2012, 06:17 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
thanks, while they will bump my cr i just ordered an alky injection kit so i really have 0 concerns about it pinging or detonating under boost

they apear to have had work done on them not to long ago as they had new springs locks retianers on them , along with rockers. i also saw the veicjal the engine came out of it was t-boned an totaled so i know it wasnt junked cause the engine went bad

the one set of flow numbers i have seen for the 882's were 202cfm intake cant recall the ex side. these were supposedly unported or touched but i suspect at;least a 3 angle valve job

does anyone know what the dbl hump flows stock and what they do ported
if its only a few cfm gain i wouldnt bother swapping them on , but i suspect it will be a bit of a gain cause if the 882 flowed as well as those heads ppl wouldnt be calling the 882 junk
In a NA application, the difference in flow would be worth something like 20 HP if they both used the same size valves. Installing larger valves and porting can skew these figures- depending on the quality of the port work and which head got the work, there could be no difference (or the 882 could out perform the fuelies) or the difference favoring the fuelies could be even larger.SBC Cylinder Head Flow Info.

Chevy Head Casting number 333882- Good or not? is a thread that mentions there being three different versions of the 882 casting, having differing amounts of "desirability"- so there's that to consider as well. There is some discussion in that thread re hardened seats in the 882 or not. In my experience, they have hard exhaust seats. But if the seats are opened up for 1.60" exhaust valves the hardening may be lost in the process and hardened inserts used instead. The fuelie heads aren't hardened as has been discussed already.

My bottom line is I wouldn't use either head for your turbo application. If the 882 on it now are OK, I'd keep them and save my money until I could step up to a better aftermarket head.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer View Post
Actually Header Power Bracket recently released a series of cool new brackets (with billet aluminum) that allow you to mount the alternator on either side. They even have brackets that avoid the tricky "second bolt" that always seems to be covered by the header pipe.

HEADER POWER BRACKET****** - Home
Old 09-07-2012, 03:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
In a NA application, the difference in flow would be worth something like 20 HP if they both used the same size valves. Installing larger valves and porting can skew these figures- depending on the quality of the port work and which head got the work, there could be no difference (or the 882 could out perform the fuelies) or the difference favoring the fuelies could be even larger.SBC Cylinder Head Flow Info.

Chevy Head Casting number 333882- Good or not? is a thread that mentions there being three different versions of the 882 casting, having differing amounts of "desirability"- so there's that to consider as well. There is some discussion in that thread re hardened seats in the 882 or not. In my experience, they have hard exhaust seats. But if the seats are opened up for 1.60" exhaust valves the hardening may be lost in the process and hardened inserts used instead. The fuelie heads aren't hardened as has been discussed already.

My bottom line is I wouldn't use either head for your turbo application. If the 882 on it now are OK, I'd keep them and save my money until I could step up to a better aftermarket head.

thanks for those links, the 882's i have are ported, i ported them myself so i know they are done right , stock sized 1.94/1.5 valves . so i think it would be a gamble as to wether or not the dbl hump heads would make anymore power off boost. if they did i think the increase would come from the slight boost in compression. which i can easily just turn up the boost anothe rpound or 2 to make up the difference.

i wont put a set of aftermarket heads on this engine its all factory stuff in the shortblock.
factory forged crank, handpicked resized,peened,streesrelived rods with arp bolts and speedpro forged piston.granted thats more then enough for most ppl but i am hitting this engine with upwards of 22 pounds of boost and 100 shot of nitrous to hit 4digit crank hp numbers. i dont think any sane person would put a 1,500+ set of heads on that combinattion lol

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.