Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC Cylinder Head Suggestions
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 04:00 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I currently have a 4-Bolt Main (grey caps) 350 chevy bored .040" over. Cast steel crank and a set of "powder" rods. The crank and rods were given to me by a friend and I had the necessary machine work done on them. I would like to replace the tired and worn out 305 in my 85' Chevy 4x4.

I'm at the point of considering cylinder heads, likely cast iron but possibly aluminum and cam selection, possibly even a roller.

Truck ways about 4000 lbs according to factory tag.

I would love to build a fairly high hp engine with some streetability. I was thinking around 400-450 hp would be doable, but being a 4x4 I don't want it to be a dog on the bottem rpm.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
A BBC is a natural for a truck. A BBC can make a LOT of torque- sometimes more than the rest of the driveline can deal with. Depending on what you're set up with now, this could mean some changes are needed for reliability.

If you want to stay w/a SBC, you'll want to build it as large as practical. So if you're starting out w/a 350, the next step upward is to use a 3-3/4" stroke crank to make a 383 stroker.

There are a bazillion 383 builds here and elsewhere, so no real point in going into it too much more until you've made a decision on what direction you'll take.

A few things that help boost the bottom end regardless of the engine size:
high velocity ports, which usually means a smaller port volume (170cc-180cc for a 350 SBC, 190cc-200cc for a 383; if using a 454 BBC even peanut port heads and a mild cam can easily make 450 hp/550 tq). For a sbc, aftermarket heads are preferred but Vortec production heads can be used if the compression ratio is kept in check. I don't personally care for swirl port sbc heads, but they can make decent torque
dual plane intake
Q-jet carb, or a carb sized on the smaller side
ignition timing curve set up correctly for the application
an earlier intake closing point
tighter lobe separation angle
compression adds torque, but too much compression can cause detonation so do not get carried away- match the CR to the gasoline you want to use and then spec the cam around that CR and vehicle needs.
long tube headers don't necessarily help the basement power but are a necessity to make good power overall. Keep the primaries at 1-5/8", using a free-flowing exhaust system. I use an H pipe connecting both sides, you can research this for yourself
use enough final drive ratio and converter stall (if AT) to match the cam and overall combo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
1Gary (01-30-2013), techinspector1 (01-29-2013)