Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC Cylinderhead oiling issues
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 10:25 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lug39 View Post
I've got a freshly rebuilt 350 with less that 1000 miles on it that is having oiling issues. The drivers side is oiling fine on all rockers but the passenger side is not at all. First off the Intake rocker/lifter on #6 cylinder is shooting oil over the fender. The #6 exhaust lifter is oiling normally as are most of the others but, #2 intake and #4 exhaust are barely getting any oil at all. After about 3-5 mins of running time they both will have oil starting to pool in the rockers but enough to flow over the roller tip or on to the valve. I changed the oil, adjusted the lifters, checked the dist to make sure its seated and in properly but none of that made any difference what so ever. The oil pressure sits at 60 until the thermostat opens then it will drop to 55-50 at idle. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

James
I'd look toward restricting the oil coming from number 6 intake, it sounds essentially like this is a leak that is starving the rockers following it in oil feed order (back of engine to front). This is probably an issue with the lifter as it dictates the amount of oil entering the pushrod. In total there really isn't a lot of oil moving down the lifter galley so a lifter that isn't doing a good job metering oil to the rocker will starve everybody else on that circuit especially those after it.

We've seen a lot of lifter problems in recent years, having new ones is no assurance of a good part.

Bogie