SBC Deck hieght - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2006, 04:58 AM
Redman Racing

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC Deck hieght

I was wondering what the stock deck height for the above mentioned motor is? I see allot of different piston companies that sell flattop or what ever type piston that use the same head cc but quote different compression ratios. Can someone please shed some light on this. I know about Zero decking a block I just need some insight on how these companies get the compression ratios with stock blocks.

So lest say you take a basic 350 Chevy block - lets say an 70's 010 block. Now if you were to zero deck the block approximately how much material would be taking off the deck? Is this a proceeder that you would need the piston placed in the block first and than measure the difference between the flat of the piston to the top of the head deck? Are there differences is years for example a 60's block compared to a 80's block?

I looked though the archives and did not find the answers I was looking for???

Thanks in advance
Josh

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2006, 03:21 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Specified deck height of the SBC is 9.025". This can vary, I have seen some 400s that are closer to 9.035". It's good to measure what your block is to start with, that way you can calculate the CR accurately. Cutting the block to 9.00" will make zero deck if the rods are the correct length and the pistons have the OEM specified compression distance. It is a good idea to mock up your assembly to determine exactly what you have and to determine what to mill off the deck to get your desired quench.

tom
Old 06-21-2006, 10:57 PM

Last photo:

Different piston makers use different deck height figures, as well as different thicknesses of head gaskets when they calculate CR. KB Pistons uses a total piston-to-head (quench) clearance of .040", and Federal-Mogul (SpeedPro, Sterling, Sealed Power) uses .025" deck height & .038" head gasket for a total of .063".

Some cheaper pistons can have a compression height that's reduced from standard by up to .020", and when you add that to the higher quench clearance, you get lots of empty space between the piston & the head, therefore lower CR.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Redman Racing

Last photo:

Thanks Tom and Jim,

I guess not every block is the same. Thanks for the info.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.