Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC Deep sump oil pan ?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 09:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Frustrated with a simple dipstick

I'm been messing around with this dispstick situation for over a yr and it still is giving me strange and inconsistent readings. I started out with an after market chrome dipstick (installed when I bought the car) which is utilized with an aftermarket summit 7qt pan (with kickouts); also previously installed. I ended up trimming the dipstick tube a while back ~1"...still having problems I picked up an OEM dipstick from a local u-pull-it from a SBC. I think there is something going on in the pan area or where the dipstick goes in the block, since it seems like the dipsitck gets "hung up" in that area. If I place the dipstick in one way the oil reading is off the dipstick if I place it 180 degrees it reads full !!! Also when the dipstick is inserted it sounds like it is rubbing the pan. I recently had the engine rebuilt ~300 miles ago and having a difficult time monitoring the oil level. I really don't want to drop the pan (would have to pull engine). I know a dipstick is a pretty simple thing but I am at witts end on what is going on. Is it this pan ???