Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC distributor
Thread: SBC distributor
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2003, 01:24 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

no, I don`t think your over cammed for the compression and mods you mentioned. the HEI is your best bet, the terminals being further apart are beneficial in helping to avoid crossfire in the cap. as far as there power goes, they start to croak around 4500 rpm and up, my car would start to bust around 5300, so I got a pertronix flame thrower coil and module, both are $40 each, also add a good set of spiral core plug wires, and take your time and route them correctly, keep them properly spaced, add a brass terminal cap and rotor button, make sure the mechanical advance moves freely with no bind, and maybe add a new pickup coil to be on the safe side, and lastly, shim all the play you can out of the distributor shaft, this helps keep the shaft from walking up and down and causing erractic timing at high rpm, after these mods, your HEI should be ready to race up to 7000 RPM. but I will say since your using such a big cam, and high compression, make sure you check the piston to valve clearance.