Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/electrical/)
-   -   SBC distributor (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sbc-distributor-225715.html)

truckerkev 11-04-2012 05:31 AM

SBC distributor

hello people, i am getting ready to put the body on my 29 ford roadster project for the last time. sbc, i have a stock hei distributor, my problem is between the top of the distributor (coil) i have 3/4 of a inch clearance from the recessed fire fire wall. the distributor side to fire wall is ok, does anyone know of a short cap distributor that would solve my problem, thank you

LATECH 11-04-2012 06:38 AM

A points distributor would probably work.
I was thinking a newer small cap HEI would work, but it has no advance mechanisms in it. Neither does the vortec distributor. Points distributor is probably the only one that would fit. JMO

truckerkev 11-04-2012 07:39 AM

thanks latech, im going to look up the specks on that

meldrum 11-04-2012 09:44 AM

alternate distributors

Hello,

I don't quite understand your comment about needing a short distributor. Do you mean that the cap should physically have less height, or are you thinking about a "small cap" distributor which resembles the old style points distributors but has approximately the same height as a conventional HEI cap.

I run an Allstar cap in my Nova. Conventional HEI also fits but I know this gives me a bit more clearance (about another 1/2")
Allstar Performance - racing and high performance car parts, accessories and specialty tools.

Here are alternative links to distributors:
CHEVROLET Distributors - V8 Engine Type - Mechanical Advance Type - No Mechanical Tach Drive - No Marine Use - SummitRacing.com

Crane Pro-Curve Billet Distributors 1000-1501 - SummitRacing.com

Chevy Pro-Billet Small Diameter V8 Distributor - 8570

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Meldrum

truckerkev 11-04-2012 02:37 PM

thanks meldrum doing some home work on all of them. my distributor sits into the recesed part of the firewall front to back clearance is ok, height is my problem. if i was to bolt the body on with the stock hei i could never get the distributor out, not even the coil cap another words if i was to loosen the distributor i could turn it but not lift it out. its a 1970 sbc thanks for the help.

meldrum 11-04-2012 08:31 PM

Hello Truckerkev,

I just measured my Streetfire HEI (large cap) and AllStar HEI (small cap) from base of intake (where the clamp attaches) to the top of the coil. AllStar is about 1/8-1/4" shorter so you wouldn't gain enough on your '29. Both my engines are SBC. You can measure your existing HEI to determine overall height.

Here is a link to discussions about crab distributor caps:

SBC Crab style cap- Accel... Mallory...??? - THE H.A.M.B.

One writer suggests the cap is 4.76"-you might try to contact him. If that measurement is accurate you will "gain" about 2".
Of course, you will have to switch to an external coil with the new cap.
In addition, here is an earlier discussion of a similar problem with a '29.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/dist...ls-182982.html

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Meldrum

cobalt327 11-05-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckerkev (Post 1606756)
hello people, i am getting ready to put the body on my 29 ford roadster project for the last time. sbc, i have a stock hei distributor, my problem is between the top of the distributor (coil) i have 3/4 of a inch clearance from the recessed fire fire wall. the distributor side to fire wall is ok, does anyone know of a short cap distributor that would solve my problem, thank you

One option is a MSD p/n 84891 dist. which has a crab cap and a magnetic pick up. It requires an ignition box because it contains no module. It has a mechanical advance but no vacuum advance. More details: Chevy Flat Top Pro-Billet Distributor - 84891

Cheapest option is a small cap HEI that's a stand alone, self contained unit.

truckerkev 11-05-2012 03:13 PM

this is alot of help. that post on the hamb was old but im going to try to get intouch with that guy bubba. thank you