Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sbc distributor install
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 12:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

sbctim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66SSNOVA
i just broke a starter from a backfire and would like to know if anyone can help. i turned the motor until the #1 piston was at tdc with both intake and exhaust valves closed and pointed the rotor at #1 plug wire. when i tried to crank it over it backfired and there went the starter.
Ok , that is a very rare occurance. So far , I have a bit of an idea as to what happened. TIMING.
Initial static timing before the first turn of the key.
On the clock ,looking at it. 18437572 firing order. You should be starting the first turnover only after you have installed the distributor with the cam at TDC.on #1 cyl.With the distributor body all the way down and into the oil pump drive.Dont forget to prime the fluids as much as you can. The proper timiing even set with a timing light will help you start on the first turn of the key . TDC should allow you at least a startup if you think carefully about it ,its just basic physics.
Air, fuel, compression,oil, spark, and coolant (water)to keep it from spinning into an unexploded IUD.
the 5:30 short cut works well