Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sbc distributor install
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 08:07 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003600F4I
Can someone tell me the correct way to install the Distro please. I installed a new gear drive and have both timing marks aligned (Crank at 12 and cam at 6 ) and I have always thought this was #1 TDC. Now I am confused as I am reading that this is #6 TDC and I need to rotate the crank once to bring both marks to 12 position and this is #1 TDC. Can one of you straighten me out on this please. Also when we do install the distro the rotor should roughly be pointing between 6 and 7 oclock position which is at the #1 plug wire right? Some people are saying to point it at the #1 piston and I have never heard of this. Any help on this is much appreciated as I am now frustrated and confused with all the different opinions on the install.
At least with a gear and chain timing set, with the dots as close as they can get (cam @ 6 o'clock, crank @ 12), #6 is TDC firing. So, turning the crank 360 will bring #1 to TDC firing (cam @ 12 o'clock, crank also @ 12). If a gear drive is the same, I do not know- I do not use gear drives timing sets.

As you install the distributor, the angle of the gears causes the dist. shaft to rotate CW, so you want to start off installing the dist. w/the rotor CCW of where you want it to end up.

There may be a misalignment of the dist. shaft and the oil pump drive that will prevent the dist. from fully dropping in, until the oil pump shaft is rotated w/a long screwdriver to get the correct alignment.