SBC double roller timing chain clearance - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 10:20 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC double roller timing chain clearance

Make sure you check the chain to block clearance. A couple of years ago, I picked up a fresh rebuilt 350, put a few miles on it, dyno'd it, and pulled it for another project. Upon minor disassembly (replace some gaskets, strip & paint the engine), I found that the previous owner (who had never gotten a chance to run the engine) hadn't checked his clearances before installing the double roller timing chain. The dyno numbers were pretty low, and I'm going to blame it on this.

The block hadn't previously been clearanced, but the timing chain had fixed that. I pulled the gear off, and clearanced the block, and am now more anxious than ever to get this thing back in a car again...

thanks for reading, and does anyone have a good alternative to powdercoat for an oil pan? I wanted a coating that would be durable, and most of all- resist rust.. The raw steel oil pan is all that is keeping me from installing the engine...... (and my powdercoater is out of town for two weeks)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

Just clean the pan good and then spray it with Brake parts cleaner to make sure there's no oil. Use engine spray paint, what ever color you want. DupliColor etc.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
Just clean the pan good and then spray it with Brake parts cleaner to make sure there's no oil. Use engine spray paint, what ever color you want. DupliColor etc.
I have a good amount of POR-15 Engine Enamel leftover from painting the engine, I was thinking of using that, but didn't want to learn the hard way that it might not be enough (not wanting to have to remove the engine just to replace the pan, and the raw steel pan is brand new, figured I'd do it right and never worry about it again..)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.