Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC Engine Mounts in 1950 Chevy Truck
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame

Wiki Edits: 0

Your instincts about sliding the engine back for weight distribution were right on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father & Son
Going with an electric fuel pump appears to be an option. Another option appears to be an electric fan in front of the radiator. Again, what are the pros and cons? Will forward placement substantially impact weight distribution/performance given a truck's already light rear end? What is the minimum trans to firewall clearance? What angle should the engine be at? I have been told to level the engine and to adjust 2-3 degree to the rear. How thick are the front cab spacers? Does the absence of the spacers and rear cab shackles significantly impact the height of the cab/placement of the engine mounts?
I've done quite a few projects over the years. My first one was slow and problematic until I went to an old school guy named Red Farmer in North Carolina. He looked it over for a few minutes, got out a torch and went to work. A cut here and a cut there...

His philosophy was we don't care much where the vehicle wants us to put an engine that doesn't belong in it. We put it where we want to. Since then it got easier.

I like the electric fan in front of the radiator idea, partly cause it's clean looking and more so because it frees up some Horse power and fuel mileage. Pump shaft appreciates it too.

Your instincts about sliding the engine back for weight distribution were right on. I like the engine as far back as possible, lowering it helps.. You can weld back a substitute gusset or whatever for anything you cut out.

You can prefab some sheet metal for the chunk you might take out of the firewall. The heater is on the right side so the duct work in the middle can be dealt with.

I might use a Mallory Unilite distributor to gain an inch or two, electric fuel pump too.

I might spend some time getting the cab where it's going to be first though. And you can make adjustments to that later if need be. You'll do fine if you keep in mind that you make the rules, not the truck And there are a lot of people on this forum that have more experience on this than I do so keep up with the posts too.. Good luck