SBC Engine/Racing advice! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 11:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC Engine/Racing advice!

Hello All! New to the blogging scene and forum. I love reading and seeing everyones projects and builds, its great! Need some opinions on my engine and drag racing advice. Mainly a street car but it's a 56 Chevy Sedan Delivery I've had for over 25 years. Engine is a 355 SBC that I grabbed for the car when I bought it in South Carolina from a guy who raced SK Mods. It was their back up motor. I just did a recent freshen up on it this past spring and was wondering HP estimations.

Little about my motor
355 4 Bolt Block 010
11.5:1 Manley Pistons
New Solid Lifter 509/519 Cam
New Edelbrock Performer RPM 202/160 Aluminum Heads (What a difference that made over the cast iron 1.94s) LOL
Holley Strip Dominator Manifold
Switching b/t 800 Edelbrock and 700 Holley
Mallory distributor
MSD 6AL Box w. rev lim and 2 step
SupperTrapp mufflers

Motor has always run great pulling to 7 grand all day. Love the motor it's tons of fun. It's been great to me

Ran it a few times this summer at the track. Like I said it's a street car. Runnin a M21 Muncie with a 12 bolt and 3.73s. I busted the driveshaft so I put in new driveshaft and 1350 Ujoints. Busted the posi unit in september and now just finishing putting in a new set of 4.11s. $$$ LOL

An automatic would help get me off the line and save my drivetrain but i'm very partial to 3 pedals. Guess I'm stubborn LOL

best time with the old motor set up (194 heads and smaller cam) was a 13.7 @ 101.

New set up (Alum. Heads/cam) was a 14.1 at 107MPH with a huge bog off the line. The HP is there (MPH) just gotta get that ET down. 107 should be around a mid/high 13 possibly low 12? Any advice from you guys would be very appreciated! Sorry for the length of the post, like I said new to the blogging scene so cut me a little slack! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 12:21 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

She slowed down on ya huh.How about posting the wt,60' and 330' times.Where are you leaving at??. Shift points??.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:19 AM

Im guessing the horse power at 400 ish.You did not say what tires you have on the car.If it bogged Im guessing slicks.With a 4 speed in that heavy car,expect to break lots of items.

Im not a fan of RPM heads for horse power,I do not like the 700 holley or the 800.For your car I would use a 750 double pumper.
Love the strip dominator though an air gap might work better with your car being so heavy.11.5:1 is not very street friendly.
If that is a small crower cam,it works gooood.

your launch gear is 9.5:1 and considering the weight and relatively small engine its not going to jump with tall slicks.If you insist on a manual,consider a 5 speed with a lower first gear or a 5 speed with more rear gear. The O/drive will make it better as a street car if you have to drive a distance.

107 MPH should get you into the mid/high 12s. After you fix the bog you might find another MPH. If you have front engine mounts you better have a chain or cable for torque control of the engine,especially with slicks.
did you weigh the car?
Old 12-16-2012, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the reply back...She tips the scales a little heavy, just a tad over 3500 with me in it. I was suprised I thought it would be alot more. I'm actually away from the house now and can't remember the 60' times. They weren't the best with a bog lol. Generally shift around 66/6700 with the rev limiter set around 6800 just for back up. Didn't have much time to play aroudn at the track with it this year so I'm excited to get it back together and expierement this spring!

I do realize there are much better heads out there then the RPM's. I'm sure if I switch to a set of AFR's or Dart's I'd pick up alot better, but I got a great deal on the heads and didn't have the funds at the time to go for more. My strip dominator is my pride and joy, I love that thing! Thanks! I did just pick up an 830 Holley so I'm gunna give that a wirl and just work with what I got. 11.5:1 has been fine on the street for me. Never have an issue pinging, only when it's super hot out. I always run 93 in it and then when I go to the track or big car shows I'll run 100 through it.

I got 28x11.5x15 M/T ET Drags and I tried 28x10.5.15 MT Drag Radials but thats what busted the driveshaft this past summer. Slicks will help on the launch, DR's would prob. be better off with an auto?? I'd love to get a 5 speed for it one day. That would be sweet! Once I get the 4.11's in, I'm gunna switch back to my M20 Muncie with a shorter 1st gear than my M21 which will help on the launch.

Either way, poor times or not I'm having a blast!! LOL
Old 12-16-2012, 05:57 PM

2.20 X 4.11=9 VS 3.73 X 2.54=9.4.the close ratio and 4.11s will be worse for launch and Muncies in stock condition do not last long in heavy cars.
10:1 launch gears are the base line.you could use 11:1 in your car
Old 12-16-2012, 06:01 PM

2.54 X 4.11=10.4 and if you upgrade to a 2.78 first gear then
2.78X4.11=11.4.that would make her jump
Ive used the 830 annular holley and I liked it after I got it tuned correctly.you should see power to 7k with that carb and intake
Old 12-16-2012, 11:25 PM

Ahhh, I see now. Makes sense, didn't understand how that worked before, thanks for the clarification. If only I still had my 4.88s back in it! Like I said, she's just a street car, so I want to keep it rather "street friendly." I've now come to realization that theres a street car...then a race car lol. Hard to have both. With the power I'm putting down, I don't think I have a problem with my muncie. If I switch to big block and make near upper 500hp ++TQ then maybe she would give out. I'm not to worried about it for the amount of racing I do. Would love to have a Richmond one day. Maybe if I get into more racing.

I got the 830 from a good friend for free! Can't beat that! So come spring and all go well, if i'm running the M20, on estimation/guess what do you think the car should run if I get her to launch decent off the line?

I have no problem keepin the right foot planted when shifting either LOL
Thanks for your advice as well.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:39 AM

I would say 13 flat with the parts you have.If you can get it to launch hard it has the power to go 12s. The 830 will add a couple MPH
Old 12-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Bye Jerks

Last photo:

You ain't gonna wanna hear this, but I would stop fumbling around with those stickshifts and get a Turbo350 in that sucker ASAP.

It will save your drivetrain, AND you will turn better ET's.

28" rear tire with 4:11 gears, you could start with a 4,000 stall converter and see how the combination feels.

Definitely run a 750 double-pumper carb.

You do anything with the rear-end setup at all? ( ladders, trac-bar, etc? )

Put that pig on a diet! See if you can get some weight out of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to 632Mantis For This Useful Post:
mbroske67 (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 10:07 AM

HAHAAH thanks 632 Mantis! Love the truck, I got a 67 C10...Now that is an overweight slob! She deffinetly needs the diet. I do hate to hear that, but I'm aware my ET would pick up. I'm happy runnin anywhere around 13 possibly 12s for what it is..

I got a TH350 layin around, maybe takin a day dustin it off and putting it in the car would be neat to try. (Not much of a project, same tail shaft as my muncie). I want to keep it a street car and just play around at some of the Nostalgia Events, so i'm gunna keep my 4 speeds in it for now. I got this 12 bolt now all buttoned up with new Moser Axles and a good drivetrain components.

The rear is a 12 bolt and I got traction bars on it. I got about 180lbs of damn seats in the thing. It's got old Monte Carlo swivle buckets. I took the seats out one day and about broke my back. Them things are heavy! LOL

Thanks for the advice!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.