Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC exterior makeover - Help needed
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasral View Post
hcompton I mean toothed gilmer drive belts like the one in this link: **GILMER DRIVE NEW SB/BB CHEV** | Trade Me
I want gilmer belts more for the winding sound as a blower is out of my price range and simply wont fit in my application.
is there a noticeable power loss in using toothed belts?
so if I went for toothed gilmer drives then I would have to get a special pulley made that also has v-belt for the A/C and power steering? and drive the alternator and waterpump with the gilmers?
Water pump alternator and power steering pump are all simple pullys stuck on a shaft. These can be replaced with toothed belt with off the shelf pulleys. But i havent seen anything for ac compressor clutch.

The toothed belts will also put a lot of stress on assesories. It is possible to break shafts if the belts get even a little cocked.

I also dont think its cheap. A cheap blower might actually be less money than getting all that stuff running on a gilmore belt system. If its possible to run every thing it will require a well designed setup. Also will probably need to make and idler pully for the blower because no one will make a 1500-3000 Dollar belt kit for a none blower motor.

What kinda of engine and car. Bet there is a turbo or blower solution in the same price range. Or close enough it worth working over time for the real deal.

Last edited by hcompton; 01-07-2013 at 10:05 PM.