Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - SBC exterior makeover - Help needed
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Drag Racing Lover

Last journal entry: '68 Impala Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasral View Post
whats involved in a gear drive set? will that drive everything? or again only the alt and water pump
If you decide to go with a gear drive try to get a Pete Jackson. They are not that noisey but still have a whine similar to a Supercharger. Also, make sure you use the correct "spacer" I call them, for your cam. Its just a small button type deal that fits over the dowel on the cam. If you buy a new kit it will come with the spacers but if you buy a used set, like off racin junk or something you will probably have to buy the spacer kit. Make sure you know exactly what cam you have and set your geardrive up to correspond with your cam, either advanced, retarded or straight up. Thats what the spacer, or button if you will, does. Depending on what drive you go with you will most likely have to buy an aftermarket cover. I would use an aluminum cam button and also don't forget to check the clearance between your block and idler gear shaft as you will probably have to grind a little off. I'm runnin a PJ gear drive in my '68 Impala and love it. Good luck!!