Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - sbc first start up
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 08:29 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

sbc first start up

So I have this newly rebuilt sbc350. Getting ready to fire for the first time. Added the fluids last night. Kind of had a bear of a time getting the distributor to drop in and have it point at cylinder #1. Finally got it! I cant seem to tell if it is at TDC or not. No way I can get a wrench on the cam to turn by hand. Simply not enough room. Heck I can't even see the harmonic balancer to get an idea of were the mark is. If I take off the first spark plug and have someone turn the key with my finger over the hole will I be able to get the piston to TDC in cylinder one? Is there an easier way? Will I have to take that darn distributor off again after finding TDC? I did prime the pump before dropping the distributor down. Should I do it again today before firing? Lastly during the process of assembly the oil in the air conditioning compressor spilled out on the floor. I was told by Vintage Air that I should use PAG 120 and put in 7.2 ounces. I was only able to find PAG 100, how will I know that I have 7.2 ounces in it. Do I have to take off the compressor and dump out the oil and then refill? What a pain.