SBC head gaskets??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2009, 05:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

SBC head gaskets???

I am installing a set of Edelbrock performer RPM aluminum heads on my 383 stroker. My question is what is the best type of head gasket to use? I always used felpro in the past, but now I heard that the MLS is the way to go.

Has anybody used this MLS head gasket?(click link)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/SBC-CHEVY-MLS-HEA...item4ceb54bee6

Advertisement

Last edited by MUD CHILD; 10-13-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

MLS are very good, cost more but can be reused. I don't know about the ProComp crap tho'.
Skip doesn't normally sell bad products, Most everything he sells he uses/tests.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 PM

Last photo:

Felpro makes MLS gaskets too. Permatorque MLS. Comes in plain Felpro or Felpro performance flavors.

I'd steer away from generic "Procomp" brand gaskets. Head gaskets are kind of important and not really somewhere that I'd skimp... That's just me...
Old 10-13-2009, 11:27 PM
The Ultimate Lurker;)

Last photo:

Depending on your setup needs, Cometic makes a nice MLS gasket and will customize your thickness down to .027. They are a little pricey but this is one of those time that you will get what you pay for
Old 10-14-2009, 01:07 AM

head gasket

I've got cometic MLS 78thou so that I could lower my compression from 12:1 to 10:75 thay work great and from what I understand they can be reused,they cost 200 Canadian up here in Toronto but they work.
You dont want to replace head gaskets once your motor is installed and running, been there done that,and I would have preffered a blown motor instead so I could junk it instead of rebuilding the top end. Good luck
Old 10-14-2009, 09:22 AM
The Ultimate Lurker;)

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapsz28
I've got cometic MLS 78thou so that I could lower my compression from 12:1 to 10:75 thay work great and from what I understand they can be reused,they cost 200 Canadian up here in Toronto but they work.
You dont want to replace head gaskets once your motor is installed and running, been there done that,and I would have preffered a blown motor instead so I could junk it instead of rebuilding the top end. Good luck
Wow!! .078 leaves ya pretty wide on your quench, do you have detonation issues?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

x2 on the COMETIC gaskets. I was told by the COMETIC tech that they do not recommend reusing their gaskets, so I bought a new set for my freshen. the are costly, $90 per side.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 AM

gead gasket sbc

No detonation at all 94 Octane Sunnoco Gold at the pump, 14*initial 36* total, she runs like a champ. I'm so happy I dont want any more power shes got manners, power, efficiency ,and a good bite for 4000lbs with me in her. 13.26 @101mph,new but stock suspension and comp T/As all around. if it wasnt for the snow she would be my daily driver. Good Luck

Last edited by sapsz28; 10-14-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-14-2009, 01:38 PM
More for Less Racer

Unless your engine is forced induction or nitrous assisted, or makes more than 700 hp naturally aspirated, you don't even need to be looking at the MLS type gasket, a standard Fel-Pro, MrGasket, ROL, etc will be more than enough,

What did we ever do before the MLS existed Everybody's eyes always go right to the latest and greatest advertisements, and the manufacturer won't tell you different, they are more than happy to sell you a $200 pair of head gaskets whether you need them or not.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
Unless your engine is forced induction or nitrous assisted, or makes more than 700 hp naturally aspirated, you don't even need to be looking at the MLS type gasket, a standard Fel-Pro, MrGasket, ROL, etc will be more than enough,

What did we ever do before the MLS existed Everybody's eyes always go right to the latest and greatest advertisements, and the manufacturer won't tell you different, they are more than happy to sell you a $200 pair of head gaskets whether you need them or not.

The motor should make right around 500 hp and will have a 150 shot of nitrous.

I understand what you are saying about people sometimes buying stuff because it's the latest and greatest thing out so ya got to have it. But on the other hand look at the first car built and look at them today, a lot has changed over the years. As technology grows products get better, so maybe the new MLS head gaskets are better then the ones of yesteryear. But I'm not sure so that's is the reason for this post. I want to know what people that have used the thought, and if the cometic MLS is really better that the procomp MLS or are you just paying for the name?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD CHILD
I am installing a set of Edelbrock performer RPM aluminum heads on my 383 stroker. My question is what is the best type of head gasket to use? I always used felpro in the past, but now I heard that the MLS is the way to go.

Has anybody used this MLS head gasket?(click link)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/SBC-CHEVY-MLS-HEA...item4ceb54bee6
MLS technology is very nice stuff and Fel Pro also makes them. The advantages are significant besides holding a lot of compression pressure, they allow differential movement with temperature between the aluminum heads and cast iron block without brinnelling the heads near as much as older steel and composite sandwiches. Being stainless steel with rubber faces, they are more electrically neutral so you tend not to see gasket failures around coolant holes and that, also, helps to isolate the more chemically active aluminum head from plating out onto the block's water jackets. Plus the stainless steel is self passivating so it doesn't, or shouldn't, become one of the reactants in the corrosion process that occurs around coolant and compression holes. They are advertised as not requiring periodic re-torquing, something I can't bring myself to test but I haven't had any complaints from customers that just drive off with an the engine and don't maintain it till it breaks.

Bogie
The Following User Says Thank You to oldbogie For This Useful Post:
bfreeasme2 (08-10-2014)
Old 10-14-2009, 07:41 PM

Last photo:

Fel-Pro is the way to go for everything, been using those gaskets for ever... the best stay away from off brands nd mr.gasket there no good, unless ur motor is bone stock, but even a stock motor i recomend fel-pro. cosmetics gaskets i have had problems in the past, but its up to u. I would go with the fel-pro pema-torque (blue stripped ones) never had a problem with them, just my 2 cents.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:28 AM

eric nova72

my Pleasure and again good luck. AS for Ericnova72, what we did before, we spent more on refinishing cranks and rods and heads,now the market offers superior products at lower prices,as for me to lower my compression,cometic made the only gasket I knew of to handle the compression and lower it by 1.25-1,with a .078 thickness guaranteed not to blow with spray or boost .which felpro {A great company by the way} could not offer, read the details as to why I chose that route before you stereotype me or others and make us look like we wait for the marketing companys to tell us what to do.Shame on you man . Fortunately some of us want what is the Zenith of parts.
We are here to help eachother not criticise based on opinion,healthy criticisim is what makes certain of us accel but do not make us look like sheep.
PS My drivetrain cost me 2200Cdn so hows that for less.

Last edited by sapsz28; 10-16-2009 at 12:51 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 10-16-2009, 03:39 PM
More for Less Racer

Saps, I wasn't trying to belittle anyone, just point out the fact that if you weren't making BIG horsepower or need the gasket for a special purpose like aluminum heads or special thickness like you did, that most people just don't need the MLS gasket, it is an unnecessary expense and a standard composition gasket would work fine.

Similar to putting H-beam rods in a 6500 rpm motor, it is overkill. Or H-beams on a cast crank.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.