SBC head upgrade - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2005, 11:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

SBC head upgrade

Well my 383 is at the machine shop now after a carb baseplate screw went through it.Currently I have 034 chevy Bowtie heads , lightly ported with 2.05/1.60 undercut valves.My cam is a ultradyne solid roller 249/259 @50 with .560 lift and .024 lash.9.7 compression and a Victor intake.I'm thinking now would be a great time to upgrade my heads.I know that AFR's and Canfields flow great numbers but I'd really like to stay with an iron head because my lash really does'nt change hot or cold.I'm looking at Dart Iron eagles with a 230 cc runners or Motown 220's.Anybody useing these.Engines going in a 70 Monte Carlo with a 3.90 gear and the converter flashes to 3500.Weekend toy , 70% street , 30% strip.Suggestions are appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Pretty hard to beat the heads you have for your combo... The heads you mentioned would be better for more compression, cam and cubic inches... My opinion "your in the zone"
Old 09-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Cam is pretty stout. I agree with Bump on the heads. I think should be more like 200-210 max. I would prefer the Edelbrock AirGap (or even Performer RPM)intake, either will improve your midrange and overall average power curve significantly on the street. A good annular discharge carb probably would help that low and mid-range a lot too. You want that snappy throttle response don't you?

thanks
Old 09-04-2005, 01:04 PM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

I would consider the Dart 215cc iron eagles at max, and have them sent to get cleaned up, not necessarly fully ported, but a little goes a long way from an untouched casting. As far as aluminum goes, if you have a good valvetrain, and a stud girtle, you really dont have to reset the valves too often. I think the AFR 210cc heads would be perfect for your setup. You would be looking at around $1400 a set, and they come fully CNC ported. If you spent $900 on a set of iron eagles, it will take more than $500 in porting to get them to the point where the AFR's would be.

Adam
Old 09-04-2005, 04:04 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the input.Actually I had an Edelbrock RPM on it and it worked great.The only thing that bothered me is at the strip above 6500rpm the tach needle noticibealy slowed.My rpms drop to 5000 when I shift and from I've seen on a few tests , thats where the single plane starts to make more power than the RPM.Since it has plenty of lowend now I thought I'd give the Victor a whirl . Your right about not really having to lash.I don't have a stud girdle and there is very rarely any change.Well at least I'm in the ballpark.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

Yep you were right-on with the AFR 210's.Read on another board that they were worth 6/10th on a Bowtie head 383 not unlike mine.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstand2
Thanks for the input.Actually I had an Edelbrock RPM on it and it worked great.The only thing that bothered me is at the strip above 6500rpm the tach needle noticibealy slowed.My rpms drop to 5000 when I shift and from I've seen on a few tests , thats where the single plane starts to make more power than the RPM.Since it has plenty of lowend now I thought I'd give the Victor a whirl . Your right about not really having to lash.I don't have a stud girdle and there is very rarely any change.Well at least I'm in the ballpark.
I guess I misunderstood. I didn't realize that you were building a pure drag car.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:39 PM
mini me

Last photo:

vroom vroom

J

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.