Hot Rod Forum banner

SBC header tube diameter

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  snakebit68 
#1 ·
Im sure this question has been asked before, but ill ask anyhow!!

I have a 400 sbc punched out .040'' making it a 408, I am supercharging it to- estimated 6-8 psi.

After the header collector will be 3'' pipe leading to X pipe with 3'' cut outs. after the x it will drop to dual 2.25'' pipes out the rear.

I understand with cutouts closed im limited to the 2.25'' pipe, but will i benefit from larger headers when factoring 3'' cutouts?

#2 ·
What kind of horsepower will it make 650? or more. You need at least 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 headers. Get rid of the 2.25 inch with that motor as there is no benefit. You need at least 2 1/2 and better with 3 inch exhaust. The 2.25 wont expel the exhaust quick enough as it starts to build power.

#4 ·
exhaust

I would advise you to go no smaller then 2 1/2" pipes....and 3" would probably be even better. You're going to need that engine to breathe. The last thing you want is backpressure with a supercharger. I ran a smallblock with small diameter pipes with a blower in the past...I blew it up. It matters more how much you can evacuate from the engine then what you can force into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.